Boris' Workbench

D1054

Western Thunderer
Hi All,

Work on my Class 50 has stalled whilst I help out a club member with the refub of his Tower Class 101 DMU. I've started stripping the trailer back as shown below, and will be fitting interior lights, cab lighting and external lights, together with a Howes Class 108 Soundcard (will anyone notice the difference?)

Attachments

• Class 101 Refurb (3 + Cab interior).jpg
    Class 101 Refurb (3 + Cab interior).jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 178

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
D1054 said:
... together with a Howes Class 108 Soundcard (will anyone notice the difference?)
Shouldn't have thought so... some of us have enough trouble just telling the different Classes of Bugs apart, never mind what they sound like.... :lol: :lol: :lol: (having treated all DMUs with total disdain in our 'spotting days...
indifferent0022.gif
:p )

lancer1027

Western Thunderer
Hi Ian, i have a copy of the hardback DMU first generation's book :scratch: i will have a look to see if there are any interior shots for the 101 :thumbs:

Rob :wave:

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Hi Ian,

pages 70 - 73 in Kevin Robertson's First Generation DMU's in the British Railways Pictorial series ISBN 0-7110-2970-9 would seem to answer some of your questions. Send me a PM if you would like me to scan the pages for you.

regards

Mike

lancer1027

Western Thunderer
You beat me to it Mike :oops: ;) I'm not very quick at anything as many of you on the forum have probably noticed :oops:

Rob :wave:

D1054

Western Thunderer
Hi all,

Many thanks for those great responses. I think I have the reference material I need to progress now, so I won't need to take you up on the kind offer to scan Mr Robertson's work, Mike, but thanks anyway.

Paints are on order, along with LEDs, resistors and Soundcard! :thumbs: I've sprayed the interior, and cut plasticard roof inserts to take the LEDs which are on order from Farnells. I'll next attack the cab interior and rear bulkhead which needs a good makeover (I might even make replacement from plasticard as the brass is kinked).

Floor panels are cut, and the seating in prep for fixing to these before installation... The seats area good shape, but not very representative of the textile covers used, so I'll need to think about what to do with those.... :scratch: Any ideas?

Still, that's progress on several fronts :D

Sadly, I've work commitments taking me away from the workbench for a week, but the goodies should be here for when I return ;) :thumbs:

Will keep you posted, and thanks again for the contacts/links/pics, etc. - all gratefully received.

Ian.

lancer1027

Western Thunderer
Hi Ian, as regards the textlie , could you take a photo of some upholstery close up and scale down , then print :scratch: Not sure if it would work, but my mate did something similar for his Mk2e seats.

Rob

D1054

Western Thunderer
Really enjoyed the trip to Telford. Good to see so may of us there!

Spent far too much on Saturday so thought better of going for two days and came home to play on the DMU. Roof and front lights fitted and tested tonight.....

Great fun!

Attachments

• Class 101 Cab lighting #1.jpg
    Class 101 Cab lighting #1.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 199
  • Class 101 Cab lighting #2.jpg
    Class 101 Cab lighting #2.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 95
  • Class 101 Cab lighting #3.jpg
    Class 101 Cab lighting #3.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 94
  • Class 101 Cab lighting #4.jpg
    Class 101 Cab lighting #4.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 93
  • Class 101 Cab lighting #5.jpg
    Class 101 Cab lighting #5.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 199

lancer1027

Western Thunderer
Very impressive Ian :thumbs: :bowdown: :bowdown: It looks very realistic. Shame i did'nt get chance to meet you as i was at Telford on the Sunday, but i'm sure we will at some point :thumbs:
I look forward to the next progress report :thumbs:

Rob

rosspeacock

Modelling on a £1200 table.
Looks great, especially picture 2 its really atmospheric with tungsten lighting from your room and the inside ones being LEDS really effective, enjoyed meeting everyone saturday and sunday... :thumbs: Ross... :wave:

Pugsley

Western Thunderer
It's nice, but, and I hope you don't mind me saying this, all of the lighting is too bright, and too blue.  In the period that, judging by the headcode panel, this is supposed to represent, everything would have still been tungsten lighting, more yellowy and much dimmer.

One way to dim the lights a bit, and reduce the blue effect, is to put a bit of orange paint on the LEDs, but I would recommend that you up the resistance a bit.  This is the difference the paint can make, mostly on the colour but it does reduce the brightness slightly:

Before:

Attachments

• IMG_0436web.jpg
    IMG_0436web.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_0438web.jpg
    IMG_0438web.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 62

D1054

Western Thunderer
Oooo... Pugsley! How could you criticise my hard labours :cry:

Actually, I totally agree.... it took me a while to find the soft warm white LED's in the carriages, and they do dim to a very nice ambient light with the right voltage & resistor set up. The front lights will have filters to calm then significantly, and the cab lights will be toned back, but I just like a little contrast with the carriage lighting because it looks good to me ;)

I'll look for your comments again later when I post the finished DTC(L).... :wave:

D1054

Western Thunderer
Oooops... Sorry about that earlier posting, I was just trying to get the "Preview" to work to show an uploaded image before posting - it doesn't seem to work.... or am I missing something? ???

Anyway, the images are the Turbocad beginnings of my Diagram TT071A "Clayliners" which I've narrowed down as the consist behind D1009 in the following pic. Plasticard scratchbuild will commence with the chassis and tanks over the next few days whilst I try to search out some suitable W-irons and axleboxes for these Bowater Clayliners.

MUCH THANKS for the Diagram posting in Resources - Excellent find!!!!!

Attachments

• D1009 Reading 230876.jpg
    634.4 KB · Views: 3

Pugsley

Western Thunderer
The PRMRP axleboxes for their VDA/OTA/SPA kits look like they could be suitable with a little alteration.  They don't list them separately, but I'm sure if you asked they'd probably sell you some.

I'll be watching this with interest - I have a tank wagon fetish..  ;) ;D

iploffy

OC Blue Brigade
just a couple of questions What type of LEDs did you use in the coach lighting, who makes them and what resistance did you apply

Ta Matey

Ian