Bow Creek Wharf. S7

Discussion in 'S7 Group' started by eastsidepilot, 29 December 2012.

1. Wagonman

Wagonman Western Thunderer

Is the Gun still in business? They have/had a riverside terrace with a good view of Blackwall Reach, and Fullers on tap. It was a fairly regular haunt of mine and my then girl friend. But that was nearly 40 years ago...

Just answered my own question The Gun, Docklands - Fuller's Pub and Restaurant London

Boyblunder likes this.
  2. simond

simond Western Thunderer

Thanks Robin, do please let me know, and if I can join, I most certainly will!

Currently moored in Treburden. :).

Atb
    Simon

Boyblunder likes this.
  3. eastsidepilot

eastsidepilot Western Thunderer

This is a shot of the old Thames Wharf Yard, which has also given inspiration for the exchange sidings on Bow Creek.

Thames Wharf Yard.png

Col.

4. Hi Col
    I have just finished going through your thread from start to finish, and this checks a lot of boxes for me. I enjoy the industrial / dock scene and wish you every great success, I'll be following this with great interest.
    Regards

5. eastsidepilot

A couple of years ago a good friend and fellow S7 member of our area group gave me a suitcase of railway photographs. He has since sadly passed away, and I have recently been going through them to see what he had collected.
    Some appear to be personal photo's taken by him and some by friends close to him whilst others appear to have been obtained from railway co. press offices.
    One which has stood out for me is this one of an LNER Y1 Sentinal, a loco I have planned to build for Bow Creek.

LNER Class Y1 0-4-0 Sentinal No. 45.png
    A lot of the other photo's are GWR, LMS and not only loco's, there are wagons also, so I think another thread would be good to start with a selection scanned for you to see.
    Col.

6. oldravendale

oldravendale Western Thunderer

Yes please, Col. This is the sort of thing I love! (You may have noticed.............)

In case you need it I have a Y1 at Yarmouth in my collection, sort of 1930 - ish.

Brian

eastsidepilot likes this.
  7. freelance7

freelance7 Western Thunderer

Colin,
    That's a good idea, I love old photographs too.

Paul

8. eastsidepilot

Jeez ! another year gone nearly since posting on Bow Creek, anyway today I have messed around with tidying up the workshop because of other jobs etc. but I found time this afternoon to set up a test piece for the eventual layout.
    When designing a layout you really need to be able to visualize how it will look from a viewing point, it's easy to draw plans and track diagrams and after about 10 years ( yes I did say 10) I pretty much have in my head how this layout will look.
    Some of you who are part of the East Anglian S7 area group will have seen the mocked up wharf scene I took to our local meeting a few years back but this time I just wanted to get a basic feel of another part of the layout, I erected a temporary base board with the surface at my selected viewing height of 4'-6" ( 1370mm ) this was done initially to help visualize the station throat and platform end area which is crossed by a road bridge. I simply used a building destined to form part of another area of the layout, some pieces of ply and timber and some lengths of ready to lay track used for testing stock.

Although very basic and simple it gives an idea of how it will look and if there is a need to change the basic drawn plan.

IMG_0848.JPG

IMG_0845.JPG

IMG_0847.JPG

I'm 5'-8" tall and the middle photo is the viewing angle I get when looking at the layout, this will be the same for the whole layout base boards although there will be some subtle changes in the ground levels here and there.
    The B17 would not of coarse be the source of motive power on this line, it's route availability wont allow it, but in the absence of a suitable loco at present it gives some scale.
    I very hopeful that base board construction can start during the coarse of the Autumn/Winter of this year.

Col.

9. mickoo

mickoo Western Thunderer

Impressive even in it's cardboard city form :thumbs:

20171001_141913(0).jpg

20171001_141951.jpg

20171001_142014.jpg

10. eastsidepilot

Thanks for posting those Mick :thumbs: I'd almost forgotten what it looked like :rolleyes:.

Col.

11. mickoo

mickoo Western Thunderer

Y'all welcome ;)

12. Even in a mock-up this looks very good.
    Is that a weather vane, the pole with a milk jug on the top ?
    Regards,

13. mickoo

mickoo Western Thunderer

:)) No it's an optical illusion, the jug is on top of the shelves in the background, the pole is in fact a cardboard tube to represent a chimney on the layout, I just happened by accident to align them up when taking the photo :eek:

14. Podartist79

Podartist79 Western Thunderer

The mock up looks terrific Col.
    Great photos Mick.
    Neil.

Alan likes this.
  15. Oz7mm

Oz7mm Western Thunderer

Blimey, I've just realised where that photo was taken. Must have been quite a while ago now.

The other JB

16. eastsidepilot

2017 ! John.

Col.