Prototype BR Devon late 60s early 70s

Devonbelle

Western Thunderer
Just straying over the border into Somerset - Victor and Vulcan in 1974 at Taunton shed (as was) opposite Taunton station - they'd been purchased from British Leyland and were held over at Taunton shed until the preservationists were ready to receive them. Victor has already gone into WSR maroon, whereas Vulcan is still in the (superior) British Leyland (British Motor Corporation) livery, with name picked out in splendid lettering - nice grotty Grampus by Vulcan.PICT0504.JPG

PICT0449.JPG

Buckfastleigh in 1967 - before the ghastly A38 cut things in two.

PICT0447.JPG
PICT0451.JPG
Same day in Summer 1967 - father took this shot coming into Totnes. Then finally for tonight - same day - small pannier 1638 at Buckfastleigh

PICT0475.JPG

Devonbelle

Western Thunderer
Two slightly unusual shots now - taken in July 1980 - BR held one of its drives to promote railway awareness (capitalising on HSTs in service) and had a public exhibition in Newton Abbot Goods Yard for several days. With 4555 up from the Dart Valley, Rocket replica - display of contemporary freight wagons and the cinema coaches (remember they were based at Salisbury) showing films promoting this is the age of the train. What was really great was the bubble car shuttle from Ntn Abbot station to the yard where BR built a temporary platform.

PICT0364.JPGPICT0363.JPG

Devonbelle

Western Thunderer
The Captain asked about the Newton Abbot shots - Hackney Yard alongside the main line was only ever a marshalling yard, until the Commercial freight traffic for Flexer Construction in 1999. Newton Abbot goods was a connection off the Heathfield branch, so round the corner from the station and before the WBB private siding. Note in the shot the yard still had an 08 pilot. Rgds Paul

Bob

Western Thunderer
Thanks Paul:), posting that pic of the Jungle Express has solved a mystery for me! I have a photo of myself and my brother on it in but couldn't for the life of me work out where it was....Paignton Zoo in '73....cheers:thumbs:.

As f0r the Buckfastleigh shots....heavenly! Before the darned A38 ruined things:rant:.

Captain Kernow

Western Thunderer
The Captain asked about the Newton Abbot shots - Hackney Yard alongside the main line was only ever a marshalling yard, until the Commercial freight traffic for Flexer Construction in 1999. Newton Abbot goods was a connection off the Heathfield branch, so round the corner from the station and before the WBB private siding. Note in the shot the yard still had an 08 pilot. Rgds Paul

Well that's what I thought re Hackney!!

Thanks for the explanation, Paul, it's all too easy these days to overlook the existence of that other yard. The brick goods shed eventually became a night club, not sure what it is now.

I was trying to work out where the 'houses on the hill' were in relation to Hackney, now it makes much more sense!

So when did the general goods traffic cease there, Paul? Was that 08 actually allocated exclusively to that yard, or was it perhaps shared with other locations in the district?

IIRC the old connection into Watts Blake etc. private siding just beyond the road overbridge may still be in situ, but it was agreed for removal via Network Change some time ago...

Devonbelle

Western Thunderer
Glad. Bobs Jungle Express question answered.

Regards. Tims question about the yard at Newton Abbot - I recollect father saying a large number of yards in Devon and Cornwall ceased usage in 1983, when vac braked wagons (for commercial freight) were eliminated in the 2 counties - with the exception of clay hoods until Feb 1988 to and from Fowey. So; I'm minded to say 1983. Places like St Austell goods definitely ceased usage too in 1983. Commensurate with the start of my railway career I year later (in 84) I closely tracked Speedlink in the West and Newton Abbot wasn't a site I recollect used. I'm guessing the 08 was the same one which serviced the carriage sidings at N.A. Plus there was van traffic too. Regards Paul

TrevorP

Discovered this thread last night and my eyes popped out at the third photo on page 1. We stayed in Paignton when I was a lad, in 1965 & 66 I think, and that spot at Paignton South was where I went at every opportunity! I believe our B&B was in Elmsleigh Road.

The 'Jungle Express' brings back memories too... I'd forgotten all about that!

Brilliant! Many thanks!

Trevor.

Devonbelle

Western Thunderer
As I intimated to Simon on Saturday last theres more of Devon to come, it will just take time to scan, however I thought Id be slightly naughty and sneak in an over the border shot - taken first weekend of October 1973 in Dorset - with a unit at Bridport - I remember alighting at the derelict station but nothing else! I appear in shot sat on the platform. I have material - already scanned - to start a 70s/80s Dorset section…..

IMG_2963.JPG

Then last one tonight - also in 1973 (and firmly in Devon) - my only ever view of a train at Kingsbridge on the now closed miniature railway with a charming saddle tank - whose big brother(s) used to footle around Plymouth. My brother and I in hideous early 70s shirts.

IMG_2960.JPG
I was most chuffed - The driver let me put a round on; wouldn't happen now - elf n safety.

Devonbelle

Western Thunderer
Im not going to start a Kent section (not enough material!) - but Im on a roll now scanning 1973 slides - we visited my great Aunt in Kent and father took us to Dover - heres a 71 running LE and me watching the working with an 09 in the distance along with the train ferry and those wonderful long wheelbase, wooden bodied Transfesa vans.
I recollect same day I also saw my first working industrial steam - Avonside saddle tank St. Dunstan at Snowdon Colliery along with a class 71 with minfits of coal - wonderful. IMG_3097.JPG
Paul

Simon

Flying Squad
Great photo and a name from the past too in that construction compound, "Rush and Tompkins".

Simon

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Hi Paul,

shame about the lack of Kent material:'( , but please post whatever you have - that is almost a RES livery in the background nearly 20 years before time:eek:

'Rush & Tear' - memories - used to battle against them regularly on the estimating front in the R M Douglas days.

cheers

Mike

queensquare

Western Thunderer
Love the class 71. We used to go on holiday to Kent every summer from the late 60s on - often twice a year and stayed with my great uncle Fred, who was a one legged WWI veteran (lost it at Ypres) and joiner at Chatham dockyard, and his son Victor. Their garden backed on to the North Kent line so in between the constant procession of EMUs I got to see all sorts of exotic things such as 71s, 74s etc that we never saw at home.

Jerry

Graham Muz

Few more for you - whilst I take a break from decorating ;-)

Next up - back on Stanford family hols - August 1973 and Flying Scotsman rolls into Goodrington - of equal interest is the trio of class 47s in Happy Valley Carriage Sidings - noting the Gresley buffet in one of the rakes -

View attachment 28538

Remaining on the Paignton Kingswear Line -

View attachment 28539
Same day but now at Paignton South and a 47 has arrived and waits to head to Goodrington C.S. and Flying Scotsman waits time before heading to Kingswear.

Paul

Just catching up with this super thread after our conversation yesterday.

I was 4 then when 4472 was on the Paignton Kingswear Line and can remember it surprisingly well, I still have at my parents a half pint glass mug with a Flying Scotsman print on it that was bought for me at the time as we rode behind her. I was staying with my grandparents in Torquay at the time and Goodrington Sands was our beach of choice.