Prototype BR Mk2 Coaches

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
http://www.westernthunder.co.uk/index.php?threads/br-mk-1-so-m5241.2693/#post-69403

(Post #3)

To spot the particular version of Mk2, there are some key identifiers you can look for. This view shows the original design for the ends, where the gutter stopped at the end of the body side in Mk1 fashion, leaving the end of the roof to sweep down almost seamlessly into the end of the coach. This feature was used on the original builds (which became Mk2Z) and the Mk2A series. From the Mk2B, the gutter was continued around the end to a downpipe either side of the gangway.

The Mk2Z and A can also be spotted by the way the ETH "storage" socket is vertically mounted above the right hand buffer. This was later changed to an angled mounting.

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
http://www.westernthunder.co.uk/ind...vacuum-brake-dual-heat.2693/page-2#post-69426

(Post #24)

At last! The elusive Mk2 vacuum cylinder!

I'm trying to work out it's location on the underframe. The various boxes help (we're looking at the side with the heater system box and electrical control boxes), as does what I assume to be the centre vestibule door. It seems to be offset to one side of the centreline, towards the viewer in this case.

Another nagging question, of course, are there two cylinders? It seems there are. You can just make out the shape of the other cylinder lurking behind the fusebox in post #22.

I'd be interested if we can find out how the vac and air brake linkages worked. They must act at some point on the main brake pull rod.

Thanks for posting these, Graham. Very interesting stuff. :thumbs:

Bob Reid

Western Thunderer
Bear with me Heather and I'll sketch up a wee layout diagram this evening.... Yes two independent brake cylinders (Vac only on the Mk2's or 2a conversions, Air on the rest) one per bogie. Location isn't as easily explained as the Mk1's - it varied according to type...

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
Bear with me Heather and I'll sketch up a wee layout diagram this evening.... Yes two independent brake cylinders (Vac only on the Mk2's or 2a conversions, Air on the rest) one per bogie. Location isn't as easily explained as the Mk1's - it varied according to type...

Brilliant! Thanks Bob! :thumbs: