BR Southern Region Maunsells

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
I'm disappointed with the photos. I seem to have lost the knack, compounded by having a backdrop - never designed for this job - which is only marginally longer than the coaches! Still, here we are.

_MG_7193.jpg

_MG_7194.jpg

_MG_7195.jpg

_MG_7196.jpg

_MG_7197.jpg

_MG_7198.jpg

_MG_7199.jpg

_MG_7200.jpg

_MG_7207.jpg

_MG_7209.jpg

IMG_1163.jpg

The build thread is on this link. Lots of bogie building.

The images are not necessarily in order, but do show both profiles of each coach. Some detail shots are included to show the rubbish paintwork, stray fluff, and occasionally my reflection in the windows! If you've been following the build, you will know that only two coaches have fully detailed ends. Intermediate coaches will subsequently be fitted, by the client, with couplings of some description.

Thoughts? Well, the kits are showing their age a bit, but turn out alright. More attention should have been paid to joining the side halves, fitting the sides and roofs and general fit and finish. Perhaps I spent too long making the underframes look nice and fiddly when the bodies really needed my attention. The etched bogies are an awful lot of work, and are now beginning to annoy me as the tie bars have started to come adrift :rant:. A nice simple resoldering job in amongst all the painted detail. Yum. I like the Pullman gangways. I need to work on my overall paint and finishing techniques.

Thank you to everyone who helped with research, ideas and techniques. Another long term job that can be moved to the storage sidings to clear room on the bench for more commissions.

Richard Gawler

Western Thunderer
This is my "studio", maybe this can help:
P1040178.jpg

The inside of the brolly is silvered and is about 600 mm away from the model.
The flash head is mains powered and has a fixed output.
The base and back are white foam board, the base tends to fade to grey further from the source of light.
The white card reflector on the right is optional, I can remove it or cover it with kitchen foil to alter the effect.
The camera shutter is 1/160s to sync with the flash head but a slower shutter speed is possible because the exposure is the duration of the flash and ambient light is irrelevant.
The lens is a short telephoto to give about 2x magnification and keep the camera out of the way.
The aperture is around f/25 to f/32 with an ISO400 setting, a wide aperature is irrelevant so you can use a budget lens.
P1040182.jpg
This is my third flash head. They last for years and then pack up unrepairable. This one was "Made by Photax in England" which says something about its age, bought for about £30 as new old stock. One head is enough for this sort of subject, just arrange reflectors to add subtlety. (The light bulb is the modelling lamp, not really useful here).

I have a radio link from camera to flash but a long lead works just as well as long as the plug doesn't keep falling out of the camera.

After it is set up you just compose the picture and press the button and results will be repeatable until you move the lighting stand or yourself.

HTH.

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
This is my "studio", maybe this can help:

Thanks Richard. I have since acquired some much better and brighter LED panel lights, which have helped no end. I’m also working on getting a better scenic background setup. The main limitation is space, as I need to set up on my workbench. Perhaps I should consider setting up a small studio space in our loft workshop.

Please allow me to think differently,
Thank you, Graham. One thing I keep promising myself is that I should study photos of the real thing more often, and then try to emulate the look. One day I will get it right.

SouthernFan Ian

Western Thunderer
Hello Heather,
There’s probably many a Southern 0 gauge modeller out there who’d give their eye teeth for Maunsell coaches built to your standard.
I fully understand your comments, I started building a set of Slaters Maunsell’s and gave up as life was too short. I opted for the CRT all brass version, which in my opinion were much more satisfying to build. A rake of three now adorns my showcase.
You did a fine job. Well done.
Regards,
Ian