Bradwell park OO gauge

Bagnall built

As a side to my Lner layout/ modelling i also have a thing for diesels , now i need somewhere to run many of them and my more eclectic taste . i do have an older layout of mine which uses set track points (yes like Alec Guiness i can feel the groans of modellers ) but it really does run well, especially with my decreasing sight ability.

so id like to improve the layout scenically and to improve the operation value . this has already been done by adding another point to give a run round loop .

but one big question i am asking myself is theme ,

i'd like to give my self a challenge and to try an replicate a preserved line but accurately so with actual stock that's preserved as i cant stand layouts with the completely wrong stock on .

or id like to do something set in the early 70s perhaps with a view towards London , as an excuse to run some red pannier tanks with some spoil wagons ?

i wont show any images yet as its rather untidy having removed hill sides etc .

but please any help would be very welcomed .

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Hi James.

I think a generic layout is doable rather than a preservation line.

To explain, if you avoid or minimise any readily identifiable features such as regional signage or building colours then anything goes. Or, if you do paint your building in a particular scheme, see what you can accomodate within that particular constraint*. If you add to that any period features then it becomes a whole lot easier.

My personal preferences are quietly leaking here. I have a real and unassailable aversion to those layouts representing a preserved line. I cannot be swayed on this. Sorry.

Hence, my generic approach above.

As an example, Bleat Wharf * was conceived and built as a 1950s/1960s Somerset and Dorset goods yard layout. However, the buildings are all painted in Southern Region colours ( as per S&D practice, prior to Western Region interference). The only signage present are a couple of London and South Western cast notices, also seen in abundance in the S&D.
So, my point is that BW can also operate in Southern Region mode using suitable small Southrrn Region locos such as B4s, P class, Terriers etc........it's not inconceivable that it could also operate as a pre-war Southern Railway layout or a post war LMS ( S&D Section) layout.

Now, this might not be generic enough. So.........

Sheep Dip.
This can operate as an industrial idyll, in Western Region mode using panniers etc, Green diesels using 08s or 03s , J94s and Sentinels or using ex Midland or LNWR locos. The worlds yer lobster.

Ewe is a bit more focused and to me, it really only looks right with either J70s or Green Diesels on it.

The next layout of mine will be even more specific in period and company but I'm doing this because I fancy it. SE&CR....1919-1923.

So in summary, there's no real need to resort to a preserved line layout ( unless you want to of course). Just avoid specifics.

Rob.