Brassmasters Duchess test build

Jim smith-wright

Western Thunderer
footplate-w-splashers.jpg
Footplate with mounting bolts and Splashers in place and tided up ready for separating from the jig.

duchess-cab-basic-assembly-1.jpg
But before I can do that need to fit the cab, firebox, boiler and smoke box so that theres something to give it a degree of rigidity. This is the basic cab assembly.

cab-inside-on-footplate.jpg
And inside mounted to the footplate. The seats are posable!

cab-roof.jpg
The cab roof. This builds up on its own mini jig too.

cab-roof-underside-from-front.jpg
Underside from the front end.

body-on-footplate-w-jig.jpg
The main super structure comes in 3 parts cast in resin. The firebox and boiler. The smokebox saddle and the smoke box. There are 3 types. A round single chimney. The flattened top double chimney from the ex streamlined locos and a round double chimney as seen here.

duchess-trial-fit.jpg
The body removed from the jig, tidied up and fitted to the chassis.

duchess-mock-up.jpg
Finally - I couldn't resist!

34091 Weymouth

Western Thunderer
On & off I've been following the progress of this build Jim.

It's really starting to take shape now, It looks a lovely kit from what you have shown so far & i am sure whoever purchases a kit will enjoy the build. We didn't get them around our end so i cannot warrant one for the big train set that said it is still tempting.

Si

Jim smith-wright

Western Thunderer
Duchess-body-furniture.jpg
Just a little update this time - Been fitting some of the details to the body. Bogie wheels are temporary as I was doing a little testing (read that as shuffling it around on Brettell Road). I never realised how big these actually are. Right on the limit of the loading gauge!

duchess-front-on.jpg
Head on view

Duchess-LH-side-body-detail.jpg

Left hand side. - In addition to the body details Ive also added the sandpipes and springs. The latter in both senses as I've fitted the main functional springs to the model as well as the cosmetic ones behind the wheels

AJC

Western Thunderer
It's starting to come together, isn't it? Having stood next to the real thing once of twice, the bulk is very apparent (as it is for all the biggest UK types - Merchant Navies, Kings in particular) which have that same quality. Only the Duchess overcomes that to my eye and then only with the deflectors on. Not that these big beasts are my thing, but a quality model, as this one is shaping to be, is always special.

Adam

Jim smith-wright

Western Thunderer
Progress on the Princess Coronation build continues with some test 3d prints for some of the details. These are only testing out ideas at this stage.

duchess-fron-end-sept-23.jpg
Above we see the bogie bearing pads and bracket, cylinder fronts, Ejector and brakes.

Duchess-Ejector-2.jpg
I admit that i had quite a wow! moment when I first saw the ejector. We are exploring the idea of 3d prints for the brake shoes as it allows you to position them closer to the wheels without risking a short. Where the front one squeezes in between the front driving wheel and the rear bogie wheel seems particularly advantageous.

Duchess-bogie-cab.jpg
Pony truck axlebox and springs along with some of the under cab pipework. One of the small AWS cylinders can be seen on the footplate

duchess-AWS-battery-box-cylinder.jpg
More AWS bits - this time on the firemans side. The roof is still a loose fit at this stage.

duchess-sept-2023.jpg
State of play so far.