Brian's Building Again (At Last).

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Tim's photo collection remains a priority, but with work pretty much finished on the house and the detritus cleared for the most part out of the workshop I'm able to get in there again.

I also needed to get my eye in once more so started with a Severn Models kit for the Iron Bridge - the one and only over the River Severn. It's only 40mm tall and 70mm from pier to pier. I forgot to photograph the kit unsullied but here it is when I'd just built the base piers. The whole kit is assembled with cyanoacrylate glue which is as it's designed. I could have soldered but I believe that would have been more difficult. This what you start with.

IMG_20230414_135628041.jpg

The etch is supplied with a hard board backing so it's almost impossible to damage. It's very fine brass (I forget to measure the thickness) and the etch quality is outstanding. Instructions are superb and an object lesson in the way they should be presented. They'd suit both those of us who like to follow the written word and those who prefer to work from drawings.

With care and a steady hand you end up with this.

IMG_20230417_163202892.jpg

Although I don't have a photo of the prototype bridge to hand I believe that it includes all the struts and supporting structure.

IMG_20230417_163250629.jpg

IMG_20230417_163309480.jpg

If I have a single criticism is that some of the contact areas are so small that it is difficult for the glue to get a proper grip, but if it's to be built to scale I guess that's a situation you have to live with.

Highly recommended for a bit of light relief. I'm looking forward to making the kit of a dolls house to go inside a playroom within a dolls house for Mrs D and there's also the furniture to go with it. For proper model railway use there's quite a few kits of small buildings and tools and a superb electricity pylon.

Brian

Last edited:

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Thank you John.

I'm continuing with another Severn Models build, but this time a dolls house and the furniture to go inside... The furniture etch also has another microscopic dolls house included, so it'll be a dolls house inside a dolls house inside a dolls house inside a house.:D I remembered to check the etch thickness this time - 0.31 mm.

The etch quality is again outstanding. The dolls house is on one etch and the furniture on another. The instructions are again of a high order. I've started the build again using the recommended super glue (photos yet to come) and the fit of parts is again immaculate.
IMG_20230419_142843079.jpgIMG_20230419_142922923.jpg

In between finishing the bridge and starting the dolls house I've repaired the drawbar on my LNWR/LMS G2a - an easy job but starts to get me back in to modelling railways.

Brian

Roger Pound

Western Thunderer
Your patience and skill with these delicate kits is, I freely admit, way beyond my skill set. Delightful work, Brian. I am pleased that we at least have something in common in the locomotive field- a G2A - although I believe our preferred scales may differ.

Roger

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Hi Roger and thank you for your kind comment. This is my 7mm Super D - a David Andrews kit which went together really well.

100_1641.JPG

100_1642.JPG

100_1643.JPG

I have tender plates to fit.

As for Severn Models kits, Roger, they are really worth a go. They are exceptionally well designed and everything fits. Even with my rather shaky hands I can get them to go together.

Brian

Last edited:

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Here's progress so far. I've not done any more today. It was a day for scanning some more colour slides.

However, this will give you an idea of the high quality of what I'm dealing with.

These two, at slightly different exposures give some idea of the detail. The tiny bits are for the portico (!) and front door step. Quite absurd but charming and typical of the detail included in the kit.

IMG_20230421_134636046.jpg

IMG_20230421_134643388.jpg

The coin is one of your feelthy British florins...

The front walls fit and will be hinged as are those in a conventional "full size" dolls house but they are just placed in their eventual locations for the photos.

IMG_20230421_134739187.jpg

IMG_20230421_134754728.jpg

Brian

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Things now start to get seriously silly! :D I've fitted the portico over the front door. The interior stairway is also assembled and dry fitted with the first floor and dividing wall on the ground floor.

IMG_20230514_154901756.jpg

IMG_20230514_164611568.jpg

At this point I lost my presence of mind...

This is the kitchen units complete with extractor, beds, fireplace. a couple of sofas with a table and chair. The reference is a 10p piece.

IMG_20230525_132830.jpg

I met Andy Vaughan, the proprietor at Railex, Aylesbury (what a lovely chap) and my first words for him were "You're totally out of your tree". Then I showed him that I was building this model so we agreed that I probably was as well.

This remains one of the finest examples of design, etching and QC I've ever seen.

Brian

Last edited:

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Well, I got it finished. After due consideration Mrs D decided that she liked it in brass, so no wallpaper or painting.

Here are some rather crappy photos taken on my phone but they give a good idea of what's going on. The reference is a 1p piece. There is a book on the lounge coffee table, individual plates on the kitchen table and cupboard, baking trays on the cooker and a dolls house on the RHS bedroom floor. The chimney is in entirely the wrong position - I may prize it off and refit but probably not.

It's going in to our cabinet of curiosities.

I remain in awe of the quality and accuracy of these etches. This build has been the greatest fun.

IMG_20230830_171104.jpg

IMG_20230830_171253.jpg

IMG_20230830_171456.jpg

IMG_20230830_171535.jpg

IMG_20230830_171703_PORTRAIT.jpg

Brian

JimG

Western Thunderer
...The chimney is in entirely the wrong position - I may prize it off and refit but probably not.

The only fireplace I can detect is on the back wall of the ground floor right room - the lounge? - so the chimney for that should be a stack on the back wall. Maybe needs another etch. :)

Jim.

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Observant and correct, Jim. :D

I may be able to prize the one off the roof and reposition it. I'm now considering....

Brian

Western Thunderer
Truly extraordinary. I wonder how many of the dolls house kits they sell? Most people would surely find building one impossible.

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Truly extraordinary. I wonder how many of the dolls house kits they sell? Most people would surely find building one impossible.
I really believe that most people could build these and have a great deal of fun doing so. The etches are of the highest quality and the fit is perfect. At the end of the exercise you have the satisfaction of people saying "How did you build that?" :) (Smug face).