Bring on the GIMP!

28ten

Guv'nor
for my layout project :D I have used it to stitch together high res shots from google earth and then to layer the track plan over the top...
Dan knows where it is but I am sure the rest of you will guess!!
I might make a separate forum for this project as hopefully I will be able to show some different techniques etc

Attachments

• Google earth.jpg
    Google earth.jpg
    290.6 KB · Views: 77
  • Google earth.jpg
    Google earth.jpg
    290.6 KB · Views: 76

28ten

Guv'nor
westernfan said:
would it be Ashburton ? no i know its Paddington :lol:
Got it in one! The DC gives it away really.
The layout will feature two sets of stock- one fifties ( prototypical) and the other early seventies ( entirely fictional as it closed in 62) I am hoping that going public will keep me motivated as I estimate build time will be in the order of five years...

Dan Randall

Western Thunderer
28ten said:
[quote=""westernfan"":uxu97k95]would it be Ashburton ? no i know its Paddington :lol:
The layout will feature two sets of stock- one fifties ( prototypical) and the other early seventies ( entirely fictional as it closed in 62) I am hoping that going public will keep me motivated as I estimate build time will be in the order of five years...[/quote:uxu97k95]

Talking of going public, are you planning to make it exhibitable? I hope to have finished a few things by the time five years has passed and having some visiting locos and stock might take a bit of pressure off you from that perspective.

It might also be an incentive for one or two others on here to build some S7 stuff..... :lol:

Regards

Dan

28ten

Guv'nor
Dan Randall said:
[quote=""28ten"":2sqx5quk][quote=""westernfan"":2sqx5quk]would it be Ashburton ? no i know its Paddington :lol:
The layout will feature two sets of stock- one fifties ( prototypical) and the other early seventies ( entirely fictional as it closed in 62) I am hoping that going public will keep me motivated as I estimate build time will be in the order of five years...[/quote:2sqx5quk]

Talking of going public, are you planning to make it exhibitable? I hope to have finished a few things by the time five years has passed and having some visiting locos and stock might take a bit of pressure off you from that perspective.

It might also be an incentive for one or two others on here to build some S7 stuff..... :lol:

Regards

Dan[/quote:2sqx5quk]
It will certainly be transportable :D
Can I give you a list of things to have ready in five years? :lol:

If anybody is wondering GIMP is a program http://www.gimp.org/ basically a free version of photoshop

B

Brinkly

I used to drive past that building for a year whilst I taught at Ashburton! The chap who ran the garage was very good. :D

Regards,

Nick

B

Brinkly

Comet to think of that Guv'nor I'm starting my first P4 project soon, I'll have to upload that. :)

Regards,

Nick

28ten

Guv'nor
Brinkly said:
Comet to think of that Guv'nor I'm starting my first P4 project soon, I'll have to upload that. :)

Regards,

Nick
It's very good - and free! Have you used sketchup?

Dan Randall

Western Thunderer
28ten said:
It will certainly be transportable :D

Hi Cynric - Glad to hear it'll be transportable. :thumbs:

I'd love to know what items are on your list, but whether or not I have any of them in my current stockpile, is another thing. ;)

How's the TurboCAD going?

Regards

Dan

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
28ten said:
Dan knows where it is but I am sure the rest of you will guess!!
I didn't know offhand where it was (then I read the thread!), but your plan certainly looks better than what's there now... :shock: :rolleyes: :thumbs:

28ten

Guv'nor
Dan Randall said:
[quote=""28ten"":3j3ceacz]It will certainly be transportable :D

Hi Cynric - Glad to hear it'll be transportable. :thumbs:

I'd love to know what items are on your list, but whether or not I have any of them in my current stockpile, is another thing. ;)

How's the TurboCAD going?

Regards

Dan[/quote:3j3ceacz]
It doesnt need much which is one of the attractions :laugh:
TurboCAD is erm interesting...... the shortcuts are different from Autocad which is confusing me. I spoke to the rep today and they very kindly offered to change the license to Doublecad Pro, but I need to give it more time.

B

Brinkly

28ten said:
[quote=""Brinkly"":7mfrsfta]Comet to think of that Guv'nor I'm starting my first P4 project soon, I'll have to upload that. :)

Regards,

Nick
It's very good - and free! Have you used sketchup?[/quote:7mfrsfta]

No I haven't, I will 'google' it!

28ten

Guv'nor
Brinkly said:
[quote=""28ten"":kngbgwg4][quote=""Brinkly"":kngbgwg4]Comet to think of that Guv'nor I'm starting my first P4 project soon, I'll have to upload that. :)

Regards,

Nick
It's very good - and free! Have you used sketchup?[/quote:kngbgwg4]

No I haven't, I will 'google' it![/quote:kngbgwg4]
Its very easy to use, and very good for mock ups
This was a quickie done in half an hour to try an idea for Wallingford (the track is from Templot)

Attachments

• sketchup_Wallingford-station.jpg
    sketchup_Wallingford-station.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 20
  • sketchup_Wallingford-station.jpg
    sketchup_Wallingford-station.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 17
B

Brinkly

Cheers Guv,

I must confess that I like Templot as a program, but struggle to use it! I'll have a go with it tonight and see if I can actually get the thing to work. I've got a scale drawing of Launceston, I'll have to have another go with it. :)

Regards,

Nick

28ten

Guv'nor
Brinkly said:
Cheers Guv,

I must confess that I like Templot as a program, but struggle to use it! I'll have a go with it tonight and see if I can actually get the thing to work. I've got a scale drawing of Launceston, I'll have to have another go with it. :)

Regards,

Nick
You are not the only one! but if you go on the Templot forum they can probably help you.