Bristol Bath Road Workbench

S

Simon Dunkley

clarky said:
Trackwork planned for this weekend!  The chairs are painted ready and the sleepers are just layed on at present. Once I've glued them down, I'll cut out all the joining sprues. These really are beautiful kits, but I've never built pointwork before and I'm TERRIFIED!!
You seem to be making good progress: how are you finding the point kits?

clarky

Western Thunderer
I am slow!  I've seen the speed that you other guys work and you can do a fabulous job really quickly!    The point kits are going together well, but I haven't done the blades yet, which I'm assuming are the most difficult part.    As you can see, only one point will be complete and working. The other one will be truncated and most of it would bve on the next baseboard (If I ever get to build that one) 

lancer1027

Western Thunderer
Hi Graeme, I need a little info if you can help, Would D1660 City of Truro have had the round steam heat boiler exhaust during the early 70's while she was in blue but carrying D1660 ?

Rob :wave:

clarky

Western Thunderer
Hi Rob    1660 was fitted with a Clayton Mk2 Steam Heating Boiler and would therefore have had a square exhaust exactly as on the Heljan model.  Interesting loco this one, because she carried rail alphabet numbering underneath the cab windows in GFYE, but for some reason (I think uniquely) carried older style (non standard) Serif numbers beneath the cab windows when painted blue in the early 1970s. There is a good photo of her at Paddington like this in April 1972.  Here's the link:  http://www.class47.co.uk/ I hope this helps    Graeme

clarky

Western Thunderer
I think that she was repainted blue in August 1971 and kept the serif numbering until she was given her TOPS numbers in 1973/74.

lancer1027

Western Thunderer
Hi Graeme, thanks for the info :thumbs:. Phew this means i hav'nt got to alter it :thumbs:. Im looking forward to seeing some more progress pics, :drool: :drool: i hope it wont be toooooooo long :thumbs:
I am originally from Ripley and me and my dad used to go to Derby most friday evenings to get the postal workings. Plus (i cant remember the working) the class 25 and 40 double heading. Think it was on parcels from Manchester.
Still not a patch on the WR and those HYDRAULICS :drool: :drool:

Rob :wave:

clarky

Western Thunderer
You're very welcome.    I'm from Alfreton!    I remember the 25/40 hauled parcels very well.    Trundling down the Amber Valley on a warm Friday evening!  It very often only had four of five vans!      Lovely memories!

clarky

Western Thunderer
Hi CME    The MMP Cabs and bogies go together really well.    Everything fits, although I think I mounted the cab instrument panel a little too high.    Looking back, I think that bit should be possible to make the bogie side frames demountable for maintenance, although I  decided to fix them permenantly.    I know that it's ''head in the sand stuff,'' but if they have to come off, then I'll deal with it then.    I might well follow your lead for the next one though!  Graeme

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
I'm not from Derby myself, but I passed through many times on spotting journeys........I always looked out for the Research Department sidings  to catch a glimpse of Onslaught, the Hymeks & the Baby Deltic  8)

clarky

Western Thunderer
Hi CME    I think you've hit the nail on the head perfectly!    It's just great to have a go!      But this forum's briliant for us all compare notes!    And I think (from the piccies we post) we're not doing too bad!

clarky

Western Thunderer
The Research Department sidings were always fantastic!  Everything and anything could turn up! - And it did!    My dad was a  school teacher and worked with the wife of a chap who worked at BR Research. He got us a trip around the RTC, but 832 wasn't there! - She was out at the Mickleover Test Track.      Graeme

iploffy

OC Blue Brigade
Phill Dyson said:
I'm not from Derby myself, but I passed through many times on spotting journeys........I always looked out for the Research Department sidings  to catch a glimpse of Onslaught, the Hymeks & the Baby Deltic  8)

Now your talking Phill such a shame that things we took for granted then have become the test loco's for Serco and others like HST's and 86's when we spotted them they were in front line sterling service, oh how i would love to re live those heady days

Ian

iploffy

OC Blue Brigade
Any way this Bristol Bathg road thread is totally fascinating watching this come together am  i right in thinking you are only doing the engine workshops

Ian

clarky

Western Thunderer
Hi Ian    I'm starting with the repair shed (because that's the really iconic bit) and just going as far as I can!    I'm definitedly moving backwards to do the interior next, after a bit of loco building.    Then it's probably the fuelling shed, which was a real feature of Bath Road as well.  Cheers  Graeme

clarky

Western Thunderer
Saturday morning from the London Road (Litchurch Lane) Bridge when everything the Works had turned out that week was ready to go in immaculate blue!      Wow!!

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
iploffy said:
Now your talking Phill such a shame that things we took for granted then have become the test loco's for Serco and others like HST's and 86's when we spotted them they were in front line sterling service, oh how i would love to re live those heady days

Ian

You & me both mate  :thumbs:

The present day rail system bares little or no relation to the railway we grew up with  :(, the revolution that seems to have happened to what was our rail system since the 1980's is comparable to my generation to what it must have been like in the 1960's with the advent of Beeching & the end of steam..........thank goodness for the heritage railway movement & model railways which still enables me to still get a classic traction fix.

Phill  :wave:

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
Blimey aren't we all starting to sound like old codgers here..?? Having grown up with BR Blue like you lads I too would love to go back in time and catch all the stuff I missed/wasn't aware of till too late etc...

Yet I think all railway Enthusiasts feel like that about whichever Era they grew up with; I've probably said this elsewhere, but whereas for me the modern scene is almost utterly devoid of any interest, and mourn the demise of 'proper' trains with locomotives, my young lad sees exciting, fast, colourful trains that he wants models of.
I am negotiating planning permission with SWMBO for a layout up in our loft (having built small Shunty-planks in recent years I think I've fooled her into thinking it won't take up much room!! ;D :-[ ), and when I asked my lad what sort of layout he'd like, he wants to have something like one of our local stations, Sandwell & Dudley. No more than two platforms on a mainline, you'd think a youngster would find it boring - I know I would; but no - he wants to whizz his Hornby Virgin Pendolino through at top speed, just like he sees the real thing do.... and fair play to him for that, I say... :scratch: :thumbs:

Simon

Flying Squad
There will come a time though, when expensive 7mm scale models will be next worthless, until, possibly they become genuine antiques....now there's a thought.

I simply don't believe this sort of thing.

I hear endless prophesies of doom from armchair pundits and internet correspondents (sorry CME, not intending to single you out here) but reality refuses to conform.

An example, in the shop yesterday a 31 year old guy, bright, personable, no memories of hydraulics let alone steam on BR - considering the possibilities of Birmingham Snow Hill in 7mm scale. No Class 66s there :))

Another example, 11 year old walks into shop with parent and friends and proceeds to explain in lucid terms the difference between 009 and 00.

Another example, young mother of bright child regular dropper in on Saturdays, purchaser of Railway Modeller - intelligent and well informed, turns out to be project manager for Bristol re-signalling.

Another example, well heeled gent and wife pootle in, just sunk life savings into 7mm RTR project for superb pannier, autocoach and mineral wagons - wife and bank manager coping well so far (ring any bells?)

Hobby dying - utter bolleaux. This is the greatest hobby in the World in probably the best and most buoyant shape its ever been in - forget the doom and gloom and spread the word sez I :thumbs:

clarky

Western Thunderer
I think our hobby's booming as far as I can see!    Modelling 7mm has never been so well supported and exhibitions are fantastic.    I've always said that no matter who or when, if you have guests round and mention that you've got a model railway, EVERY chap will want to drive it!    It's almost genetic!    Graeme