Bristol Bath Road Workbench

lancer1027

Western Thunderer
Hi Graeme. Exellent stuff, i look forward to seeing the progress pics :thumbs:. Not sure about the concrete colour but a couple of guys on this forum will help because i remember a discusion about the colour of concrete ;)I think it may have been discussed in Area 51.Do you still live in the Derby area as both myself and Steve (40 126) were talking and we were'nt sure if you had moved area. Did you get any more info on the Bristol shunters 1970's.?.
Is your layout a Home or Exhibition layout? Well what i mean is is it to be a permanent layout?.
Cracking work, keep posting those pics mate :thumbs:

Rob :wave:

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
Precision Paints do two types of 'concrete'  colour - "New" (bit of cream to it) and "Weathered" (quite grey). Neither of them has any hint of green in them. :thumbs:

Western Thunderer
clarky said:
Oops sorry!  That should be the 'B'End, not the No.1 End!    I served my apprenticeship at Derby Loco Works on Peaks, 25s and HST Power Cars.  We had 1s and 2s, not As and Bs!     

Hi Clarky,

My dad was at Derby loco work from 1953 - 1981. He was a welder.

Steve

clarky

Western Thunderer
Thanks for that chaps!    I shall definitely go for some Precision Paint based on what you say Jordan.  That's a really great help.  I quite fancy the newer (creamy) look, although Bath Road was going grey by 1970!    What do you think?    I live in Portsmouth now Rob, although my Mum still lives in Derbyshire, just north of Alfreton. I still work on the railways and have done all my life. I started on 14th September 1981 at Derby Loco and I was based in Derby (Lit Lane mostly (and St Peters House in Gower Street for a while)) until 1995 when I went to work for Met Cam in Birmingham.  I'm still failing miserably with 1970 Bath Road shunter info and any help would be very gratefully received. I'm intending BR to be a permanent layout, because I think it'll be too fragile for regular transport.      Cheers  Graeme

Western Thunderer
Clarky,

Are you on Bristol Railway Archive web forum as Thunderer ?. The person is asking about Bristol Bath Road.

Steve

lancer1027

Western Thunderer
Hi Graeme,
I have found an old note book of my dads with a visit to Bristol Temple Meads and Bath Road. It is from 19th June 1976, so i dont know if its a bit late for your time scale  :scratch:.
Anyway i have listed the shunters that were there on that day.
Hope it is of some use :thumbs:

08 821 station pilot
Depot-
03 121, 03 382 (green)
08 185, 08 411, 08 649, 08 668, 08 800.

Interestingly also on shed was D1001 Pathfinder, D1010 Campaigner, D1041 Prince and D1072 Glory :drool: :drool: :drool:

There was also TDB968006 ? not sure what that is would need to research it.
Also on that day we went to Swindon works and westbury, so i've put the interesting bits here as well.

Westbury
D1058 Nobleman, D1068 Reliance, D1070 Gauntlet and D1071 Renown plus 33 005/010, 33 030,  4x 47's and 31 210.

Swindon Works
6x 24's, 3x 25's, D818, plus the following westerns
Queen, Centurion, Lord, Marquis, Musketeer, Gladiator, Cheiftain, Regent, Guardsman, Firebrand ( my dads put a note at the side of this one saying "birds nest in step"), Pioneer, Yeoman, Stalwart, Rifleman, Thunderer, Vanguard, Druid and Courier.

Rob :thumbs:

Western Thunderer
Now Now Rob. Thought you did all your research before hand. Putting things on here without finding out, Tut Tut....... Ha Ha

Steve

Western Thunderer
lancer1027 said:
Hi Graeme,
I have found an old note book of my dads with a visit to Bristol Temple Meads and Bath Road. It is from 19th June 1976, so i dont know if its a bit late for your time scale  :scratch:.
Anyway i have listed the shunters that were there on that day.
Hope it is of some use :thumbs:

08 821 station pilot
Depot-
03 121, 03 382 (green)
08 185, 08 411, 08 649, 08 668, 08 800.

Interestingly also on shed was D1001 Pathfinder, D1010 Campaigner, D1041 Prince and D1072 Glory :drool: :drool: :drool:

Also on that day we went to Swindon works and westbury, so i've put the interesting bits here as well.

Westbury
D1058 Nobleman, D1068 Reliance, D1070 Gauntlet and D1071 Renown plus 33 005/010, 33 030,  4x 47's and 31 210.

Swindon Works
6x 24's, 3x 25's, D818, plus the following westerns
Queen, Centurion, Lord, Marquis, Musketeer, Gladiator, Cheiftain, Regent, Guardsman, Firebrand ( my dads put a note at the side of this one saying "birds nest in step"), Pioneer, Yeoman, Stalwart, Rifleman, Thunderer, Vanguard, Druid and Courier.

Rob :thumbs:

There's some good pics on the RPA site of the 08's except 08821.

Steve :thumbs:

rosspeacock

Modelling on a £1200 table.
lancer1027 said:
Hi found a picture of D5705 / TDB968006 in preservation at Bury East Lancs, this loco was at Matlock for a lot of years it is a miracle it survived into preservation, ugly looking beasts but as Phill knows one of my fave loco's  :scratch: :drool: (think Phill has 2 rail Dublo one of these knocking about somewhere) I had the 3 rail one and sold it for silly money to a collector a few years ago
:wave: :wave: Ross.......

Attachments

• D5705 at Bury, East Lancs Railway.jpg
    D5705 at Bury, East Lancs Railway.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 229

clarky

Western Thunderer
Hi Steve

I've not done much to BR over the past few weeks.

The weather's been far too good and I've been trying (for the first time in my life - normally I'm  pale and pasty) to get a tan!

Normal service will resume soon!!

Cheers

Graeme

Western Thunderer
clarky said:
Hi Steve

I've not done much to BR over the past few weeks.

The weather's been far too good and I've been trying (for the first time in my life - normally I'm  pale and pasty) to get a tan!

Normal service will resume soon!!

Cheers

Graeme

You gotta catch the sun, when it comes out.

Steve  :thumbs:

lancer1027

Western Thunderer
Hi Graeme, another quick question for you :-[
I have just had a look on the 47 site for images of 47 262 in two tone green. However it doesnt really show. What i need to know did 262 during early 70's have a round steam heat exhaust port or was it a square :scratch:. I know i asked you this same question as regards D1660 City of Truro but that had the square one.
Sorry to be a pain mate :-[.
PS Hows BBR coming on ? any progress ?

Rob :wave:

clarky

Western Thunderer
Hi Rob. You're most certainly not being a pain and I'm glad to be able to help.

47262 was (as I'm sure you know) D1962 pre TOPS.    As you can see from the list below, she was part of a batch fitted with a Stones Boiler in a Universal boiler space (One which was intended to allow boiler types to be changed, or at least common roof panels to manufactured)

D1500-1615 Spanner MkIII
D1616-1630 Stones
D1631-1630 Universal Stones
D1639-1681 Universal Clayton MkII
D1682-1781 Spanner MkIII
D1782-1836 Universal fitted with 35cwt ballast
D1837-1874 Universal Stones
D1875-1900 Universal fitted with 35cwt ballast
D1901-1947 Universal Clayton MkII
D1948-1976 Universal Stones
D1977-1999 Universal Clayton MkII
D1100 Universal Clayton MkII
D1101-1111 Universal Stones

Locos with this type of boiler had a square exhaust which was directly adjacent to the cab/engine room bulkhead. It's position is marked as a blanking plate on the Heljan model. It's the third visual variant and isn't like either of my two (picture on Workbench). To model 47262 therefore, you must cover the existing boiler exhaust with a blanking plate (the hole was covered with a panel) and make a new hole where the existing blanking plate is.

I hope that this helps.

I've not done much on BBR recently, although D7070 is now finished and I've almost completed the whole of the shed front.

I'll post some piccies when I've done a bit more.

ATB

Graeme

lancer1027

Western Thunderer
Hi Graeme, thanks very much for the help with the boiler exhaust port :thumbs: :bowdown:. I will have a look at the modification asap :thumbs:
I look forward to the progress pics on BBR :thumbs:

Cheers Rob :wave:

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
clarky said:
I've not done much on BBR recently, although D7070 is now finished and I've almost completed the whole of the shed front.

I'll post some piccies when I've done a bit more.

ATB

Graeme

Look forward to the progress report & pics when you post them  :thumbs:  8)

Phill  :wave:

clarky

Western Thunderer
Hi Chaps!

I did my first modelmaking session of the new season this weekend and it felt great!!

Telford always inspires me to get going again!

Made the "All Locomotives must......." sign to go between No. 2 & 3 Roads, a point lever and two Peter Clark Matteson Jacks kits, which are currently in the paint shop!! I really like Peter's stuff, it makes nice models.

I also phoned Tower Models to see if they had any of the 4 blue Brush 4s left (recently found by Heljan in their stores and shipped to Blackpool). They apparently only had one (any of you get one of the others?), so that'll be joining the fleet on Tuesday!

I haven't decided on a number yet, but this one's going to be a Bath Road Based machine and not a namer!

I quite fancy doing an ETH fitted loco, but I need to do some digging to see if BR had any in 1970.

Cheers

Clarky