Book British Rail Corporate Identity Manual

Osgood

Western Thunderer
That's actually a very important and interesting bit of rail history.

Whilst watching the video I was amused to see the pull-out of the HST power car, because:

I had a short spell as assistant to HST production project engineer at Crewe during the initial build. The first pair of cars were made ready for top brass inspection in the paint shop. During the visit they decided the black / yellow livery was not right, and should be replaced with blue / yellow (or was it the other way round?), so the first two cars had to be repainted and the entire batch of colour-matched INTER CITY 125 transfers binned (the letters were outline with body colour infill), resulting in delays to completion of a few cars through waiting for new transfers. I often wondered why they hadn't decided that when looking at the livery option paintings created by the amazingly talented technical artist at RTC…..:rolleyes:

P.S. Whilst looking for a photo of an early HST to refresh my memory on livery I came across this great photo site - in case it is new to anyone:

GOLDEN OLDIES - Transportmedia

Bob Reid

Western Thunderer
Which Neil, makes me wonder why the need for a kickstarter funded re-release! (except of course to cash in on those who like to have a hard copy}!

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
Bob,

Well, in terms of rail/transport re-branding exercises it's a coin flip on whether CN ('Noodle') or BR ('Double Arrow') was the most significant, but both are used extensively as case studies. I would not be surprised if the greater number of the books will find their way on to the bookshelves of design consultants, academics and libraries; part of the reason why they're available in packages of up to 4 books (even if the take up appears to have been a bit low for the offer of more than one book).

Steph

Bob Reid

Western Thunderer
Thanks Steph - undoubtedly if you've a need or a preference for a hard copy there's merit in the project. Sadly our office copy got "purloined" in the the break up of BR's regional CM&EE's department in the mid 80's and saw the chance of one of us being offered the full set, fall to zero . Fortunately these days though the online version is freely available to all (including the important amendment sheets) and now with the offer of a "hard" copy of the originals being made everyone can have access to it. Mind you it's not exactly a gripping thriller - back then it was just a reminder of why you were getting bollocked for straying off the plan!

Last edited: