Broad Gauge Rover class loco

mswjr

Western Thunderer
Agree, Nice work, I am a model engineer with a lot of experience , Not a job i would enjoy. much respect.

Mikemill

Western Thunderer
Progress on the Rover with the outside frames and splashers. The beading for the splashers is 1mm halve round brass wire made by filing in a jig, annealing, tinning then forming, and soldering, while the top beading is 1.5mm with a grove milled along the length that sits on the top and side of the splashers.

MikeP1120809A.JPG

Mikemill

Western Thunderer
Sultan is complete and looking splendid

I would like the model to be a tribute to Brunel, that visionary engineer who conceived the Broad Gauge railway. His understanding that the wider the gauge the lower the centre of gravity thus allowing for a smoother ride for carriages and faster speeds for engines.

Although Brunel’s railway was acknowledged as superior to the standard gauge, the practicality of integrating with the standard gauge that all the new railways had adopted meant it had no future.

The GWR’s CME Denel Gooch designed the magnificent Rover class engines giving the Broad Gauge its last celebration

Mike

P1000961B.jpgP1000964B.jpgP1000971B.jpgP1000971ABWS.jpgAnd for those in black and white

Mikemill

Western Thunderer
Your comments are much appreciated
It is interesting to me that others see these early engines visually appealing as I do.

Mike

Rob_M

Fantastic work mate, cratsman doesn't seem to do your talent justice, would loved to have seen some of the work in progress & setups.