Brushs Laser Cutting and 3d Printing workbench

D1054

Western Thunderer
Nicely done Phil! Just how long is it? (If you don't mind me asking!). It's a little too late for my era, but I'm trying to encourage some more modern image at my local......., and also to do some resinous workshop modelling with the resident brassites.

Looking forward to seeing the finished article:thumbs:

BrushType4

Western Thunderer
Nicely done Phil! Just how long is it? (If you don't mind me asking!). It's a little too late for my era, but I'm trying to encourage some more modern image at my local......., and also to do some resinous workshop modelling with the resident brassites.

Looking forward to seeing the finished article:thumbs:

Hi D1054, its just over 60' :eek:

A little incident with the dog has caused delay, Grr :mad: but Graham Harrison of GJH has come to the rescue and promised to send replacement parts today.:thumbs:

Still some filling and shaping to do at the wagon ends, and there is a bit more detailing that I can do on the hoppers and underframe area.

Update below.

IMG_0462.JPG

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
A little incident with the dog has caused delay, .....
:D:D:D That's a new one... "Please, Guv... the dog ate my homework..!!"

Welcome to the Back, laddie..... ;)

Actually it doesn't look that bad - "bulk" is certainly the right word. All the extra work you've put into it looks to have been worthwhile.:cool:

BrushType4

Western Thunderer
How do you know when to stop?

IMG_0472.JPG

More filling and sanding to try and get the ends of this square. Not sure I'm quite there, hence my question above.

IMG_0473.JPG

A quick cover of primer usually shows up all the defects and finger prints.

Should I stop now or have one more go to get this perfect?

Apart from that and getting the bogies right I think I'm pretty much done and ready to paint. Sorry for the poor picture.

IMG_0475.JPG

and this is how I remember them when I watched them being loaded at the Banks Grain Terminal in Sandy.

These a big wagons and to a small lad, they are huge! The sidings used to be full of these bulkers, but talking to the guys in later years, they said they didn't like to use them for grain as they were often wet inside and full of previous rotting loads.

IMG_0474.JPG

Pugsley

Western Thunderer
Ahh.... :shit:

Good remedial work - it just shouldn't be necessary in the first place...:headbang:
You've got to bear in mind that, for a wagon of this size, it's relatively cheap. I looked at one at Telford a couple of years ago and was almost tempted, but it required more work than I was prepared to put in, for the cost of it.

Yours looks good Phil, you've obviously spent a fair bit of time on it.

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
How do you know when to stop?
For me it's either when I'm happy with it or in the case of budget kits...when I've done the best I can with what's there ;)

I think you are doing a great job of it Phil & the extra work has improved things further :thumbs:

Cheers Phill :)

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
You've got to bear in mind that, for a wagon of this size, it's relatively cheap....
Yeah, key word "relatively"... IIRC about £100..??
My R-T-R US Covered Hoppers can be had new for rather less than that.;) ... and much less, second-hand. I do accept that there are reasons why (such as market size), so it's not a direct like-for-like comparison product-wise....

Pugsley

Western Thunderer
Yeah, key word "relatively"... IIRC about £100..??
My R-T-R US Covered Hoppers can be had new for rather less than that.;) ... and much less, second-hand. I do accept that there are reasons why (such as market size), so it's not a direct like-for-like comparison product-wise....
ISTR they were £89 when I looked at them, so not cheap, but it's a lot of wagon for your money. I'm not sure how an etched version would compare cost-wise, maybe I'll find out one day ;)

BrushType4

Western Thunderer
ISTR they were £89 when I looked at them, so not cheap, but it's a lot of wagon for your money. I'm not sure how an etched version would compare cost-wise, maybe I'll find out one day ;)

It was £89.00 + wheels and transfers brings it to £110.00. Probably another £10-15 in bits and pieces and painting/build costs.

So for an all up cost of say £125 I have to agree with Pugsley that it is quite reasonable when say comparded to some other manufactures plastic/resin kits.

It's a big wagon, and it would be great to have a rack of them running around a garden setup, but for what I have one or two of these will be the most i'll ever need.

However, as I do want another one, I'm not sure I could invest the effort required again so soon. Time will tell.

BTW Pugsley, I'll be watching for your sprung Y25 bogies with great interest as a possible upgrade. Working brakes too?

BrushType4

Western Thunderer
Thanks everyone for your kind words of encouragement on this, when I see what some of you are producing on your own workbenches, it blows me away.

I've got several etched kits in the drawer waiting for the day I'm confident enough to start them! In the meantime it's plastic and the occasion resin kit. I quite fancy the GJH VGA kit, possible converting a couple into an IZA.

Pugsley

Western Thunderer
I quite fancy the GJH VGA kit, possible converting a couple into an IZA.
They are quite different wagons, an IZA is on my 'to do' list although I don't know how long it's going to take me to get round to it.

I don't know how much of a market there'd be for this kind of thing, but with more and more people modelling the BR Blue era, I guess it's increasing. I'm probably going to do the VAA first after the acid tanks I'm currently working on.

Pugsley

Western Thunderer
BTW Pugsey, I'll be watching for your sprung Y25 bogies with great interest as a possible upgrade. Working brakes too?
Thanks for the interest. I'm not sure about working brakes, that seems a complication too far, for limited benefit. Again, I don't know how long it'll take to get them done - I'd advise you not to hold your breath! :D

Pennine MC

Western Thunderer
More filling and sanding to try and get the ends of this square. Not sure I'm quite there, hence my question above.

Should I stop now or have one more go to get this perfect?

I can only speak from my own feeling, but I'd have that one more go for what it's worth. It might be that you subconsciously know it's still bugging you, and if you don't, it still will;)

talking to the guys in later years, they said they didn't like to use them for grain as they were often wet inside and full of previous rotting loads.

Charming image
bo_mini.gif

BrushType4

Western Thunderer
They are quite different wagons, an IZA is on my 'to do' list although I don't know how long it's going to take me to get round to it.

I don't know how much of a market there'd be for this kind of thing, but with more and more people modelling the BR Blue era, I guess it's increasing. I'm probably going to do the VAA first after the acid tanks I'm currently working on.

Is the VGA and IZA so different? I'm sure the VGA could be used? I'm interested in the IZA as I used to use them to carry product from Potters yard, Ely up to Scotland. Didn't last because of the reduced payload when compared to LGV,s. IZA was 48 pallets, when a couple of trucks would carry 52 for more or less the same cost. That 4 pallet difference was the margin on the job.

We did try the ex Rover Talgo wagons, they had the pallet advantage, but the gain was lost in vehicle length/weight/height restrictions.

Still I'd like a model of the Talgo, I think they run on Y25 bogies too!

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
Compared to other UK outline kits, yes I agree about the cost - if it was a better kit I'd be very tempted to get one myself.
We discussed it awhile back on here I seem to remember?; the costs of an etched kit were commented on by those who know, such as Dave Parkins. The trouble is, that many kits have to be sold to cover costs, never mind make any profit, and if there's only a few of us interested, and we only want one or two each.....:(

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Hi Phil,

it realy looks the part, although having seen your latest post, you say that you have had the filler out again - get DWMBO tho throw it away - that way you will not be tempted to think about putting more on. Get the paint and transfers ready instead.

cheers

Mike