Brushs Laser Cutting and 3d Printing workbench

BrushType4

Western Thunderer
On the Love Lane thread you may have seen the mock up buildings. Here is one that Peter Hunt threw together.

photo 2.JPG

photo 1.JPG

I believe this is a model of the actual House that the original owner of Love Lane grew up in. So its a tribute to him really that its to be added to the layout.

My job is to draw up and laser cut the shell that will be clad in the traditional way in Slaters Brick card. Peter is not sold on Laser cut brickwork just yet, but give it time. Anyways it makes it a bit easier for me to draw up the shell.

LoveLane.jpg

Not much left to do really on this at this stage. I need to see the pictures of the real thing before I start detailing the cuts and joins.

Slates

BrushType4

Western Thunderer
I was recently asked if I could cut out some slates on heavy paper and this got me thinking about the slates I need for my own projects. After a bit of research I've settled on Bangor Countess slates as these were generally the most popular roofing material used up and down the country and used on many railway related buildings.

The size of these are 20in. x 10in. A quick calculation later and at 7mm scale this is 11.66mm x 5.83mm. 5 mins on Qcad produced the attached;Bangor Countess.jpg

I started to think about how they should be overlapped and a google search told me the lap should be 3in. Or 1.75mm. Great, job done. It was only when I was making a sample that I realised that the look of 11.66mm slates with the 1.75mm overlap didn't look right. Looking at countless pictures of slate roofs just informed me that I had something wrong.

Back to google...
The lap is correct at 3in. but I need to do a further calculation.

11.66mm less 1.75mm lap then divide by 2. The resulting figure of 4.955mm when laid out made much more sense.
image.jpg

So sorted. The positioning of the next row in real modelling terms is 4.955mm, let's call it 5mm.

Using the prototypical information for ordering slates for a project, you should know your headlap ahead of time and order the slates accordingly. For our example, a 20in. x 10in. slate requires 170 slates per square (a “square” is 100 square feet of roof coverage) when installed with a 3in. headlap.

With my drawing an A4 sized sheet of 7mm Bangor Countess slates gives you 650 slates or about 4 squares worth. A square remember is a roof area of 100 square feet or an area 70mm x 70mm.

I've ordered some grey/blue 150 GSM card and will experiment next week. My main concern at the moment is the laser kerf is about 0.2 - 0.4mm (3/8in. - 3/4in.) and I'm not sure yet if this gap will look bit wide when modelled.

Today has been an education for me. Who knew model railways could be so educational. :)

Last edited:

tomstaf

Western Thunderer
Hi Phil,

Good to see all this progress. I'd have thought it'd be easy to convert someone who likes brick plasticard to laser cut versions instead:confused: . Looking forward to seeing more progress:)

Cheers

Tom

Oz7mm

Western Thunderer
Actually Phil, the house you are working on from Peter's mock up is the station master's house. The GER built several to this design and the one at Chigwell, which is the inspiration for Love Lane, is still there. Peter worked largely from photographs (he is a formidable brick counter). We managed to derive a lot of information from lifting images from Google Streetview. Where would we be without these things?

I look forward to seeing the laser cut version.

Stand by for the station building drawings. I hope to have these done soon.

John

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Phil said:
While making a card model for mock up purposes I couldn't help myself and wrap it in a sheet of Scalescenes O gauge brick paper and do a photo call with a Brush Type 4 on the storage road

The mock up looks good with the brick paper.

I've been looking at buildings recently and have been put off by the 'scale' mortar joints in embossed or injected plastic sheets. I'm sure if these are scaled up to 12" to 1' you would be able to put your fist in them and climb them without ropes :eek:.

The laser cut sheets look good and how deep are the mortar joints? The sheets also look easier to line up the cuts and joints to ensure the bricks are carried around corners properly.

Are O scale laser cut brick sheets available in the UK 'off the shelf' as they appear to be in the US?

David

7mmMick

Western Thunderer
Looks great Phil. Some really good textures being added by the paint effects. The stone lintels look spot on and the brick work above and to the left of the door as you look at it looks really nice. Very much looking like line pointing and reclaimed brick. Looking forward to seeing things come together here :thumbs:

ATB Mick