Butane Torch

3 LINK

Western Thunderer
I thought I would treat myself to a new torch as my trusty old Draper has started to splutter and wheeze even after cleaning out the jets, any how I was walking down the aisles of our local b&q with SWMBO when I came across this.

P1060665-1.JPG

As you can see it comes with quite a few attachments and has a maximum working temperature of 1200 degrees c , the only downside in my opinion is that you still need to ignite it with a lighter.

P1060666-1.JPG

P1060667-1.JPG

I have not got round to using it in anger yet, but thought I would share with you lot as crimbo is just around the corner, and even SWMBO did not moan at the £22.98p price tag.

ATB,

Martyn.

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Thank you for sharing this produce, looks nifty and at an attractive price.

When you have experimented with the kit please tell us about any difference between Needle Solder, Double Sharp and Solder Tip.

thanks, Graham

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
A question from Mr Stupid, in the suburb of Stupidville, near the City of Stupidopolis....:oops:

If it can reach 1200deg, how do you regulate the temperature, or even find out what the temperature is..??:confused:
This is not a stupid question... perfectly reasonable in fact.

As Steph has written, the colour of the workpiece changes as the temperature of the work inceases... which is in (some) proportion to mass of the workpiece and the amount of gas being burnt per second. I suspect that the "adjustable flame controller" controls the rate at which gas passes to the burner and hence burnt / consumed to provide heat to the workpiece.

If interested I can dig out some info on the (imprecise) realtionship between colour and temperature - info which necessary for anyone who wishes to harden and the temper metals.

regards, Graham

3 LINK

Western Thunderer
A question from Mr Stupid, in the suburb of Stupidville, near the City of Stupidopolis....:oops:

If it can reach 1200deg, how do you regulate the temperature, or even find out what the temperature is..??:confused:

There is a temperature controller on the torch, but as to how to measure what temperature is being produced I will leave that to someone in the know.

Personally I just use my mk 1 eyeball ;) .

ATB,

Martyn.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
I thought I would treat myself to a new torch as my trusty old Draper has started to splutter and wheeze even after cleaning out the jets, any how I was walking down the aisles of our local b&q with SWMBO when I came across this.

View attachment 15133

As you can see it comes with quite a few attachments and has a maximum working temperature of 1200 degrees c , the only downside in my opinion is that you still need to ignite it with a lighter.

View attachment 15134

View attachment 15135

I have not got round to using it in anger yet, but thought I would share with you lot as crimbo is just around the corner, and even SWMBO did not moan at the £22.98p price tag.

ATB,

Martyn.

Wish I'd seen this post before popping out for Sunday chores, would of picked one of those up, well two, one for home and one for work, d'you know how hard it is to find a 3 pin socket for your solder station 170 feet up a container crane? they just never figure that when they build them!.

S

SteveO

I bought a much cheaper version from ebay a while ago. It was quite good at desoldering my 31 until I came to using it again. It didn't light so I filled it up with gas and it promptly came rushing back out again while I was trying to light it on the hob in the kitchen. Not to be repeated!

I binned it and bought a slightly more expensive one, which seems to be the nads. It's one of these, even has a built-in stand.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jet-Flame...Home_Garden_PowerTools_SM&hash=item2ebc36c824

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Gosh, isn't that extremely dangerous?!?! :confused: :D ;)

No doubt in my case it'd be looking at the puddle the workpiece melts into...

I only ever did Oxy-Acetylene Cutting, not gas soldering, which I know is quite a delicate art.
Thanks for the insight everyone.
Isn't gas soldering called brazing?, used to do a lot of that at BT with refrigeration units, the oil and refrigerant are.....forgotten the word....but means they can mix and separate easily, anyway, when de-soldering/ brazing the coupling next to the compressor it's not unknown for the oil carry over to go whoosh when you separate the pipe and the cool clean air rushes in and allows for ignition, very fun to watch, BUT, few realise that burning refrigerant is actually akin to mustard gas! as my mate found out when he woke up in an oxygen tent in A&E, lucky for him we were paired up and he wasn't working solo. We never worked solo after that!.

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
Isn't gas soldering called brazing?

Yes and no - you can use a flame to do any of the following types of soldering:
soft solder; typically with tin/lead solder, although can be lead-free these days (tin/copper alloys) especially when soldering up things like domestic copper water pipes.
hard solder, aka brazing; typically uses a copper-based solder.
silver solder; comes in various grades offering differing hardness and working temperature.

Then of course there's welding (which uses a similar bonding medium to the materials being joined) and various heat-treatments...

Steph

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Steph, that makes sense, my dim memory of such 'mechanical' things relates stress or load on the join to which type of bonding you would use, refrigeration being as high as 325psi on our systems required brazing

I have found that moving up to 1:32 'apologies for the slight OT' can require different bonding techniques, laser cut frames of half hard brass or steel often require silver soldering or brazing, you most certainly are moving up the engineering scale from 7mm, especially if you are working in live steam.