7mm Cagger's Workbench...

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
It's good to see the different approaches people take to building these kits. I usually assemble the "hornblocks" etc. to the sole bar before I add it to the body. Mine (like quite a few other Parkside builds ) just still needs painting.

Railwaymaniac

Western Thunderer
Mine (like quite a few other Parkside builds ) just still needs painting

Now. Yes. That's an interesting subject.
And it's very odd that I (who can only do weathering when drunk) has my very first piccies on here of something that I've painted. :eek:
I've got the bits and pieces - chalks, pencils, Paynes Grey, so-forth - but I think it's a matter of knowing *what you are aiming at* when you do the weathering bit.
And, let's face it, the task comes so late in the build that a lot of people are wanting to start something new by then. . .

I would CERTAILY vote for a 'painting and weathering', and a 'how to do the painting and weathering' forum on here!

Ian

Pennine MC

Western Thunderer
Now. Yes. That's an interesting subject.
I've got the bits and pieces - chalks, pencils, Paynes Grey, so-forth - but I think it's a matter of knowing *what you are aiming at* when you do the weathering bit.
And, let's face it, the task comes so late in the build that a lot of people are wanting to start something new by then. . .

I would CERTAILY vote for a 'painting and weathering', and a 'how to do the painting and weathering' forum on here!

I'm exactly the opposite, the impetus to get through the boring part (building the things) often comes from anticipating the combinations of painting, lettering and weathering that I want to apply.

You should certainly have some idea what you're setting out to achieve; I often see weathered models that look like nothing on earth, and others that are technically good in the processes and effects, but poorly observed in that they dont really replicate the prototype. Whether Cynric would go for the idea of a specific forum area I wouldnt like to say, but there are quite a few individual posts scattered around that contain thoughts on weathering and links to sites dealing with other disciplines such as military modelling.

If you're looking for a basic introduction Ian, have a look at the fourth page onwards on my Wordpress blog (link below) - as I say on there, my methods are just one way of skinning a cat, but I do believe that most folk can get them to work sufficiently well enough to gather a bit of experience and confidence, after which they should start to find that they can find their own ways of doing things.

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
For those who do not want to guess this is a Parkside Dundas Double Bolster Wagon.... Yes it is being built as an LNER version.

Hi Simon,

What period and which region / location is going to be home to this model?

regards, Graham

Caggers

Western Thunderer
Hi Simon,

What period and which region / location is going to be home to this model?

regards, Graham

Graham,

Yet to be decided...

I bought the kit cheap-ish and wanted to build something in 7mm so we'll see...

However, if I did have some plans that would be another thread, just so we don't upset the moderators.

Cheers
Simon

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
....just so we don't upset the moderators.

Simon, it takes something to upset the Flying Squad... colour might be worth a try. Just remember that there is no prize for incurring the wrath of those who (try to) maintain sense and order.

regards, Graham

Caggers

Western Thunderer
Simon, it takes something to upset the Flying Squad... colour might be worth a try. Just remember that there is no prize for incurring the wrath of those who (try to) maintain sense and order.

regards, Graham

Graham,

So even though this is Area 51 I cannot bring up the right shade of green or blue?

LOL

Simon

iploffy

OC Blue Brigade

regards, Graham

You have to go something to upset the Sweeney, we call them everything Jedi's, Dunces and others that's why this is a nice place to be.

Put me back in my BLUE room please boyo's, the one with the padded walls

Caggers

Western Thunderer
WOW...:eek:

I had not realised how much the tiffin at the back of the class makes time fly.

8 months later and not much done, well not on this kit. I am sure I could come up with a number of reasons excuses but why waste another 8 months...

One of the points which needed sorting was the... yep the wheel spacing and that is now decided, so work can re-start. That and I now have some space to clag bits together which is not freezing.

Yes there will be some pictures soon on this and some other items on my bench, and in true scattergun approach I assure you all it should be interesting.:rolleyes:

Caggers

Western Thunderer
There has been a lots of decisions made, and remade over the last year, but finally I have made a decision and invested in some bits and pieces which make those decisions 'reasonably' firm.

I have joined the Scale7 group so rail spacing, among other things is sorted. I have also bought some track components, timbers/sleepers, chairs and rail to start. Also bought some track gauges, to ensure I set the tracks correctly. The plan is to build a couple of lengths of LNER 45' sections of track first, then I can work on rolling stock as well we the baseboards and permanent way.

I am going to build a track building jig, along the DogStar plan, but found my circular saw does not cut straight lines anymore, so that needs fixing.

However on the point, no I'm not starting there, I have started staining the timbers and sleepers
IMG_4123.JPG

The sleepers at the bottom of the picture have now had two coats of stain the others have had one. The bottom timber has also had two coats, the top one has had only one so far. As you can see the second coat is darkening quite nicely. I may try a third coat, once these have dried.

More to follow...

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
I have joined the Scale7 group...
Good move... if you do not get a membership list then please ask Ron Pitts for details of the membership in your area.
I am going to build a track building jig, along the DogStar plan
I have got patent pending on that! (Barking being a nom-de-sleeper of Gromit)
.. my circular saw does not cut straight lines anymore...
What else do you expect from a saw which is circular?
The sleepers at the bottom of the picture have now had two coats of stain the others have had one. The bottom timber has also had two coats, the top one has had only one so far. As you can see the second coat is darkening quite nicely. I may try a third coat, once these have dried.
If you are modelling weathered track, say stuff which has been down for ten years, then the sleepers are likely to have weathered individually so have some sleepers which have been in the dip twice and some which have been in thrice.

regards, Graham

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Simon,
What wood are you using for the sleepers?
What product are you using for staining the wood?
regards, Graham

Caggers

Western Thunderer
What else do you expect from a saw which is circular?
Well it is one of those things which definitely does not do what it says on the tin, which ever tin you might be reading...

As to weathering the sleepers, initially I am just darkening the pine, once laid I will probably be weathering further dependant on the location. For example heavier in the station and rail yard, lighter in the running line.

What wood are you using for the sleepers?
I bought sleepers from Perfect Minatures, I do not like the idea of ply as they, just seem wrong, IMHO...

Having said that I am not really sure as there does appear to be a tie up/in with Model Kit Shop. It got all confusing at one point.
What product are you using for staining the wood?
I am using B&Q quick drying woodstain - Oak Satin, we will see how this works. It is thicker than I was expecting so has been painted rather than dipped.

Cheers, Simon

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
I bought sleepers from Perfect Minatures, I do not like the idea of ply as they, just seem wrong, IMHO...

Having said that I am not really sure as there does appear to be a tie up/in with Model Kit Shop. It got all confusing at one point.

I am using B&Q quick drying woodstain - Oak Satin, we will see how this works. It is thicker than I was expecting so has been painted rather than dipped.
The last lot of sleepers which came my way from Perfect Miniatures were Lime...that takes spirit stain quite nicely.

Perfect Miniatures is the shop, the web site has a different front... I have always thought that anything to do with Sudbury is confusing. The origin of Peter Hunt's Emporium was "Chuffers" near to Marylebone Station... nothing to do with Chuffers in the vicinity of Pickering.

regards, Graham

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
I was shown some new S7 gauges for plain line track when at the recent AGM - these items have the outer flange set over at an inclination of 1:20 so that the track gauge does not force the rail into an upright position - hence minimising the tendency of track (with ABS chairs) to go "under gauge" after removing the track gauge. These new gauges are available from the S7 Group Stores.

regards, Graham

Caggers

Western Thunderer
Graham,

Thanks for the thought. I was disappointed with the C&L track gauges as two of them seem to have a slightly tight outer groove, where as the other two seem to fit better...

I'll take a look at the 1:20 ones, I'll check the gauge of my track this evening to see what the gauge actually is...

Cheers, Simon