7mm Carbean Wharf

Marc Dobson

Western Thunderer
Hi all,
I'm looking at building Carbis Wharf, Cornwall minerals railway, in S7 circ 1875-1910. I can I have a number of photos taken post 1947 to closure in 1989. But nothing earlier. Can anyone point me in the direction of some earlier photos?
Marc

Marc Dobson

Western Thunderer
Well I have changed my mind I have move 5 miles closer to St Austell to the end of the Goonbarrow branch. Carbean (St Austell) CMR-GWR.jpg

I think the layout has more operating potential and it fits exactly into 8ft with the fiddle yard coming out the back. The locos would be the same as those used on the Carbis branch ie ex CMR 0-6-0STs and 1661s. There probably be more scope for different PO clay wagon here as well.
Its a site I have driven pass many times with out noticing it as it is now a mass of trees and scrub.

Marc

Marc Dobson

Western Thunderer
I'm working through the requirements of building the layout. I now have a list of the companies who used the wharf for both inward coal and clay out. Which has given me a whole host of PO wagons I've even got photos. I have a good idea of which locos worked the branch and when. What I have discovered is that pre WW1 the majority of clay was shipped out using Ex-CMR iron bodied wagons. I have a few photos, of them, most lacking details and none that allow you to make a guess at dimensions. The big white GWR wagon book mentions them in passing along with a dead buffered one but no details. Does anyone know where to look?

Marc

Marc Dobson

Western Thunderer
I have had a big help with my research from the people at Wheal Martyn. I have now found out that the biggest user if the wharf at Carbean was Parkyn and Peters which means I will have to make these wagons to start with.
Parkyn and peters 40.jpgParkyn and Peters 45.JPGParkyn and peters 54.JPG
And these wagons were probably used by some of the smaller producers who didn't own their own wagons so will have to feature at some point.
Par Harbour.JPGTotne Carter Fowey.JPGHannan Samuels Fowey 2.jpg

Marc

Marc Dobson

Western Thunderer
Since my last post I have found that wagons belonging to John Lovering were also a common sight at Carbean as that was the loading point for Wheal Martyn. Slater's used to produce a preprinted wagon but not anymore. So I will be looking for a couple in due course on a well known auction site.
Marc

ullypug

Western Thunderer
You could try Powsides as they have a selection of early china clay transfers/sides and Hornby did a Lovering 5 plank.

Marc Dobson

Western Thunderer
Yes you are correct about POWsides the do the "Toyne Carter" and "Par Harbour" transfers. I have their North and Rose set on my 3 plank clay wagon, in FS. But at £50 per wagon + £10 per set of transfers they can be a bit pricy. Which make one set of transfers cost more than the wagon they fit on.

Marc

2996 Victor

Western Thunderer
Hi Marc,

This is a fascinating project - has there been any more progress?

What are you planning for motive power? I think I'm right in saying that the CMR 0-6-0Ts originally worked coupled back-to-back in pairs like a more efficient Fairlie. There was an article in Railway World in early '80s*** - sorry I can't be more specific - describing these engines and how they altered.

Looking forward to seeing your progress!

All the best,

Mark

*** January 1984, Volume 45, No. 525, pages 17-20. "Unusual lineage — the Cornwall Minerals engines and their Great Western descendants" by V.R. Webster.

Last edited:

Marc Dobson

Western Thunderer
I have just spent the morning at the NRM in York going through the Charles Roberts order books in search of more clay wagons. Very successful. There were a few clues that there were some there in vol 11 of the PO wagon books. I hit the jackpot. I found all the ones referenced in the book but there was a lot more detail. I now have dimensions, colours lettering drawings enough for me to build some.
By chance there was another chap their who was researching CMR clay wagons.
So it's been a great day.
Marc