Carmine and Cream and other colour schemes

Discussion in 'Resources' started by iploffy, 28 April 2013.

1. iploffy

iploffy OC Blue Brigade

When was the last Mk1 passenger coach repainted to B+G and what colour was it before being repainted. This is whilst in revenue earning service on BR.

2. Heather Kay

Heather Kay Western Thunderer

Instant guess would be maroon. I don't think carmine and cream lasted on Mk1s much beyond the very early 1960s. Maroon was introduced as standard following the livery revisions in 1957.

3. Phill Dyson

Phill Dyson Western Thunderer

4. iploffy

iploffy OC Blue Brigade

Can I just expand a little on the question to remove the Mk1 coach and make it any passenger coach in BR revenue service

5. Heather Kay

Heather Kay Western Thunderer

This is where things get a little murkier. From what I can gather, most pre-nationalisation coaches had been withdrawn by the late 1960s, apart from catering vehicles that were not replaced under the Mk1 and Mk2 builds. Even then, I don't think many of those lasted far into the 1970s.

6. Steph Dale

Steph Dale Western Thunderer

The only exceptions I can think of that might make life interesting are either the Southern region rebuilds of Gresley buffet cars that ended up all over the place and in blue/grey livery or perhaps some postal or special vehicles?

For example, I know that the last Maunsell vehicles in service were the postal sets and one of the 'ambulance cars', from memory these were the only Maunsell carriages to receive blue/grey livery. I'd need to check dates for you if they are of interest, Ian?

Steph

7. iploffy

iploffy OC Blue Brigade

2159.jpg
    Already sorted that one mate
    I would add that the copyright is unknown for the picture

8. Phill Dyson

weren't they all gone by the late 70's ? :)

9. iploffy

iploffy OC Blue Brigade

yes mate but dont forget my period is from 1970-1980 or any thing else I fancy:))

Jordan likes this.
  10. Phill Dyson

As Steph says, there were plenty of interesting survivors as parcels stock from all the big four which survived well into the blue period:cool:

11. iploffy

iploffy OC Blue Brigade

Do you want to know the reason for the question are you sitting comfortably, I want to add a little spice to my rake of Mk1's I am going to add the Gresley to the cross country rake of Mk2's and I was looking to find a slightly different colour scheme for 1 or two coaches to run with the B+G's and I wanted to know more about the colours and what they were applied to and the latest date the appeared in that condition.

12. Jordan

Jordan Mid-Western Thunderer

Am I reading this Thread right..?? :confused:

Is The Colonel getting - dare I say it? - BORED with the Mighty Blue & Grey..??!!?? :eek:

We must be running short of Tiffin!! Where's Sgt Marsa when he's needed..?? :rolleyes:

Gosh, so many questions, so few answers.... :(

iploffy likes this.
  13. marsa69

marsa69 Western Thunderer

You called? The Colonel has enough tiffin to last him through the next World War. What his problem is has to do with all the bl**dy gardening he's been doing lately, too much time on his hands to think :eek:

Jordan and iploffy like this.
  14. iploffy

iploffy OC Blue Brigade

Not the case I am afraid. I like the old colours but I do want the odd vehicle to be in such a state that it needs a repaint and some TLC to sit in the sidings at Watery Lane as a ganger's coach. I have not lost my head far from it the brain is very active and full of Tiffin doing the garden

15. daifly

daifly Western Thunderer

Scary. A brain that consumes tiffin and does gardening!

16. mth

mth Western Thunderer

It has to be something to do with the Green Rat he now owns.................

17. Jordan

That's the answer - you've had a touch of the sun, poor chap!! :rolleyes: :( ;)

A lie down in a darkened room will soon cure these non-Blue yearnings.... :thumbs:

18. iploffy

iploffy OC Blue Brigade

If I get chance tomorrow after I have cut the lawn, I might be adding to you tube watch on Watery Lane

19. Jordan

I cut our lawn today, and sorry but it didn't feel at all like the "Scenic Modelling" it's supposed to be if there's a Railway in the garden.... nope, it's still just 'cutting the lawn' to me.... :(

Dog Star likes this.
  20. Dog Star

Dog Star Western Thunderer

You could always count the blades of grass...