Carmine and Cream and other colour schemes

iploffy

OC Blue Brigade
When was the last Mk1 passenger coach repainted to B+G and what colour was it before being repainted. This is whilst in revenue earning service on BR.

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
Instant guess would be maroon. I don't think carmine and cream lasted on Mk1s much beyond the very early 1960s. Maroon was introduced as standard following the livery revisions in 1957.

iploffy

OC Blue Brigade
Can I just expand a little on the question to remove the Mk1 coach and make it any passenger coach in BR revenue service

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
This is where things get a little murkier. From what I can gather, most pre-nationalisation coaches had been withdrawn by the late 1960s, apart from catering vehicles that were not replaced under the Mk1 and Mk2 builds. Even then, I don't think many of those lasted far into the 1970s.

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
The only exceptions I can think of that might make life interesting are either the Southern region rebuilds of Gresley buffet cars that ended up all over the place and in blue/grey livery or perhaps some postal or special vehicles?

For example, I know that the last Maunsell vehicles in service were the postal sets and one of the 'ambulance cars', from memory these were the only Maunsell carriages to receive blue/grey livery. I'd need to check dates for you if they are of interest, Ian?

Steph

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
As Steph says, there were plenty of interesting survivors as parcels stock from all the big four which survived well into the blue period:cool:

iploffy

OC Blue Brigade
Do you want to know the reason for the question are you sitting comfortably, I want to add a little spice to my rake of Mk1's I am going to add the Gresley to the cross country rake of Mk2's and I was looking to find a slightly different colour scheme for 1 or two coaches to run with the B+G's and I wanted to know more about the colours and what they were applied to and the latest date the appeared in that condition.

marsa69

Western Thunderer
Where's Sgt Marsa when he's needed..??

You called? The Colonel has enough tiffin to last him through the next World War. What his problem is has to do with all the bl**dy gardening he's been doing lately, too much time on his hands to think :eek:

iploffy

OC Blue Brigade
Not the case I am afraid. I like the old colours but I do want the odd vehicle to be in such a state that it needs a repaint and some TLC to sit in the sidings at Watery Lane as a ganger's coach. I have not lost my head far from it the brain is very active and full of Tiffin doing the garden

iploffy

OC Blue Brigade
If I get chance tomorrow after I have cut the lawn, I might be adding to you tube watch on Watery Lane

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
I cut our lawn today, and sorry but it didn't feel at all like the "Scenic Modelling" it's supposed to be if there's a Railway in the garden.... nope, it's still just 'cutting the lawn' to me.... :(
You could always count the blades of grass...

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
I cut our lawn today, and sorry but it didn't feel at all like the "Scenic Modelling" it's supposed to be if there's a Railway in the garden.... nope, it's still just 'cutting the lawn' to me.... :(
Was the same for me too, it barely qualified as gardening.
Then I built a railway.
Now I have a loyalty card at two nurseries and try to sculpt trees from bushes then trim them with scissors.
Garden railways - once you've got one you'll understand, honest :)) Well, maybe not the scissors bit, but you get the general idea :)

Is it worth it?
Every hour spent so far and every hour to come :thumbs:

Steve

Sorry, somewhat off topic there :oops: