Photo Charrington's Pubs (early '70s)

AJC

Western Thunderer
Something I was tipped off about by a work colleague is this gallery of pub images, mostly those inherited by Charringtons, taken for file purposes in the late '60s or early '70s. Perhaps useful for those who want to add a plausible licensed premises to their layouts or to @BrushType4 and his laser cutter...

Clive Thompson LRPS Photography: Pub Photos 1973 Onward

Here's one I've actually drunk in, the Butcher's Arms in Yeovil:

Clive Thompson LRPS Photography: Butchers Arms Yeovil around 1974

There's more of the same (with notes) from the National Brewery Heritage Trust on Flickr:

NBH Trust

Adam

AJC

Western Thunderer
Good stuff, Simon!

It occurs to me that it's worth mentioning the project that gave rise to the tip off. My colleague, Matt, works part of his week with Historic England and was involved in their work on classifying pubs as an architectural phenomenon. He did a lot of field work on post war pubs which will make a fabulous chapter in his memoirs if he were so minded. This is really part of their policy work, but the reports are interesting, and worth reading for the context of the license trade:

The Public House in England | Historic England

Research Department Reports

And a fellow Somerset person in exile (well, Bristol) has this excellent beer blog that's also very interested in the history and development of pubs as buildings:

Boak & Bailey's Beer Blog

Adam