Chris' Toy Chuffer Pix

Chris Nevard

Western Thunderer
I've been quiet due to much model making and a mammoth northern trip to snap trainsets. The the week then saw most of the track down, code 55 flat bottomed in the colliery lines which will contrast nicely with the heavier bullhead on the through line. I was going to use C&L stuff for the mainline point but didn't have any solvent, so good old copper clad was used, I'll add cosmetic chairs later. Note the 1 in 20 grade up into the colliery, only a few wagon will go up here at a time so no problem there.
nevard_130201_PGCH_IMG_2865_WEB.jpg

Simon

Flying Squad
I agree with Jordan on the diverging levels thing and love the shape of the track work. The use of flatbottom track is going to help persuade too - it's going to look really good.

I have to confess to earlier misgivings as to the potential "North Somersetishness" of this project but I'm right there now:)

What's with the orange pond thing though? (Sorry!)

Simon

Chris Nevard

Western Thunderer
I think the road crossing will go or may be simply replaced with a foot crossing.
The poluted pond will be just that caused by drainage , the iron pyrites found in old coal seams and flooded workings turns water in the area orange. The old brook going through Writhlington is just this colour even now 40 years after the last coal came up. Doing my research me.

Here's a really extreme example - mine will only be a tinge of colour http://www.personal.psu.edu/afr3/blogs/SIOW/2011/09/whats-up-with-these-orange-rivers.html

Simon

Flying Squad
I think the road crossing will go or may be simply replaced with a foot crossing.
The poluted pond will be just that caused by drainage, the iron pyrites found in old coal seams turns water in the area orange. The old brook going through Writhlington is just this colour even now 40 years after the last coal came up. Doing my research me.

I'm impressed - orange ponds here we go!

I hadn't noticed that you had a bit of a "road to nowhere" going on there, I look forward to seeing how you morph things around.

This is a very similar theme to the 4mm layout that I still think I might build one day, but you are being more imaginative with the position of the colliery in relation to the running line than I could make myself be. Although this might not be strictly "correct" (by which I mean the proximity of one to the other) it is already making for a pleasing and "visually exciting" scene I think.

I look forward to seeing it develop:thumbs:

Simon

Chris Nevard

Western Thunderer
If ever I extend to the left, the 1 in 20 headshunt could become even steeper and become a Clandown style cable incline as it heads up the hill from Middle Pit. I've a huge arsenal of prototype stuff to fall back on, and it would appear that there all sorts of possiblities which is half the fun of industrial modelling.

In the photo above the short siding to the immediate left of the wagon is a trap siding for the incline. In time it could be fun to try to model a wagon that has ended up there in the form of broken timber and bent metal.

Chris Nevard

Western Thunderer
Like many I imagine, with all the lovely weather model making has taken a back seat. However last week saw the building of a trio of the new (ish) RT Models Side Tipping Contractors wagon kits (white metal/nickel-silver). These amazing little wagons got all over the place, some lasting as late as the 1970's in various industrial pockets. in 1/76 scale here, they're just over an inch long!

Below the wagon/s whilst awaiting some better split spoke wheels (I have them, but need to weather them to match), so in these photos have some hacked about 30-40 year old Jacksons holding the fort. Click for a slightly bigger view.

130829_nevard_RT-Models_Contwag_DSC_8547_WEB.jpg

130829_nevard_RT-Models_Contwag_DSC_8574_WEB.jpg

Also below; the High Dyke inspired Ironstone project had the camera pointed at a rather nice George Dent class 31 job, sadly I have to give it back to him weekend after next. This little layout will be at Railex '14 after a little more work, this shot being taken to see how the lighting rig works for photography which is nice and bright and giving even backscene illumination. For those viewing on something better than a ZX Spectrum, click for a slightly bigger view

nevard_130906_IRONSTONE_IMG_4742_WEB.jpg

Chris Nevard

Western Thunderer
Thought I'd simply copy my Blog post for today's snap - hence any odd formatting and typeface...

Here is a trio of RT Models Contractor's side tipping wagon previously seen a week of two ago here before painting. The wagons, apart from a little weathering on the wheels are to all intents and purposes complete, and I think looking quite at home on this little Ironstone project I currently have on the go.

The yellow load is real Colsterworth iron ore from the South Lincolnshire; and with my toy-train-land-fiction destined for calcination - which is not something suffered by chronic armchair modellers and moaning pontificators, but an industrial process to drive out moisture from iron ore and other such minerals. The main reason for the process is that calcinated ore is much lighter - a significant thing when transporting by rail which charges by weight.

Clicking on the image below will produce a slightly bigger one...
nevard_130907_IRONSTONE_IMG_4772_WEB.jpg

Chris Nevard

Western Thunderer
nevard_131112_Hornby_R4353_IMG_5649_WEB.jpg

4631 puts on the brakes for Catcott Burtle; note the WR chocolate and cream liveried Mk1 inserted into this short train. The narrow gauge engine on the low loader in the siding on the right has recently arrived for the preservationists to use on the nearby peat tramway at weekends.

Chris Nevard

Western Thunderer
Facebookers* (*a trendy youf and silver surfer's faddy thing) may have seen this one, so I apologise to them. A little balancing act with a new ukulele balanced on some of my toy trains. If I can learn a few twangy ditties between now and Larkrail next July, then I'll be able to make some pinging noises as the trains run though in contrast to the increasingly usual chattering and honking DCC stuff which is all the current vogue.
The shot looks slightly surreal because I took two shots, 'one with' and 'one without the ukulele balanced on two wagons (took a little doing, the loading gauge suffering a curious bend that was not there earlier in the day), and then selectively merged them together to get rid of the ukulele shadow cast on the backscene. Confused? It's not important....
nevard_131114_catcott_DSC_0285_WEB.jpg

Simon

Flying Squad
That's very good Chris, but I'm sure that the Local Ukele and Miscellaneous Stringed Instruments Loading Arrangements section of the sectional appendix for the Highbridge to Evercreech route specifies the loading of the fretboard on to the open wagon with the main body on the lowmac, it's section 13A , subsection 7, paragraph 2 - just off the top of my head....

Jack

Oh come on, everyone knows Uke's were maroon in the transition period ... and those strings are too anachronistic ;)

Devonbelle

Western Thunderer
Oh I do like Simons reference to Sectional Appendix instructions for a Uke. Reminds me of my pal who once put a spoof train entry in the weekly engineers train notice, in 1986; read something like, 9Z10 class 37 loco, 10 Grampus, Grand Piano, Pedal Clarinet and brake van. He didn't get knobbled for the wheeze but the shunter at Llandeilo Junction Yard (who had a sense of humour) rang me on receipt of the notice and said he couldn't couple the vac pipes between the Grampus wagons and grand piano!!!!

Chris keep photos coming, a source of inspiration and delight. Paul