Computer Aided Wagonry

Pugsley

Western Thunderer
As some as you may have seen, I have entered the scratchbuilding competition in 'the other place' with a plan to build some of the Cargowaggon twin sets, as seen here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmillington/2038719398/in/set-72157603210839981/lightbox/

I have been using Alibre to design all the bits and pieces for the project, starting with the buffers, both inner and outer, and axleboxes. Both of which I luckily managed to find drawings of out there on t'internet, which was a definite bonus!

The components for casting have been drawn out at full size, and will be shrunk down to 7mm scale before being 3D printed. I plan on having the axleboxes and buffers lost wax cast in brass, as these items will be functional, I'll cast other detailing parts in resin, at home.

Progress so far:

Axleboxes:
IZA_Axlebox_comp.jpg

The text on the axleboxes does stick out too far, but this will only be 0.2mm proud once scaled down. It might not come out, but I thought I might as well push the technology, to see what's possible :) If it does come out too big, I'll rub the masters down gently, before casting, to reduce the effect.

Outer buffers:
620_ringfeder_buffer1.jpg

These are designed to be completely self contained, with the head screwing into a 10BA nut in the housing, so nothing projects from the rear of the housing, so nothing has to be compromised to accommodate it.

Inner buffers:
650_internal_buffer.jpg

These work in the same way as the outer buffers, being completely self contained.

And last, but not least, progress so far with the chassis and superstructure of the wagon itself:
IZA_assembly1.jpg
Progress has been fairly rapid up to this point, but it's starting to get more involved, so will likely slow down a bit from now on. The CAD package is proving very useful for this exercise - it's good to be able to test the look and fit of parts, in situ. It would be a lot trickier if I was just working in CorelDraw, as I have for previous etching projects.

I know one thing, I should have started my etch designing with these, not the TTA tanks, as this is proving to be a lot more straightforward. It's all good experience though, watch out JLTRT :p:D;)

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
very impressive Pugsley, best of luck with the competition, we'll all be rooting for you in the final.

cheers

Mike

28ten

Guv'nor
Corel is dog for preparing etched artwork, it's just not what it was designed for. That all looks to be coming on really well. one hint I would give is not to get carried away with the 3d modelling, only do what your need, don't draw for the sake of it. I have made this mistake in the past and these days I do just the minimum needed to get the job done, I think Mick said something similar as well.

Pugsley

Western Thunderer
very impressive Pugsley, best of luck with the competition, we'll all be rooting for you in the final
Thanks Mike, I think I have a pretty slim chance of winning, but it has spurred me on to do something that I've been thinking about for a while, so it's all good!

Pugsley

Western Thunderer
Corel is dog for preparing etched artwork, it's just not what it was designed for.
Yeah, I know that now :D I found it useful to start with, but it's not great for the more complex projects, I think that's part of why the Stoneblower project foundered. It did OK with the 37 bogie artwork though.

That all looks to be coming on really well. one hint I would give is not to get carried away with the 3d modelling, only do what your need, don't draw for the sake of it. I have made this mistake in the past and these days I do just the minimum needed to get the job done, I think Mick said something similar as well.
Thanks for the hint. I don't think I've done too much, just what I want to incorporate into the project - I don't tend to do anything I don't have to ;):D

Pugsley

Western Thunderer
It's getting to the point where the outer end is starting to look mostly complete

IZA_end2.jpg

Thankfully most of the parts on this end can also be used on the other end either as they are, or with slight modification, which will speed things up nicely. The beauty of the package I'm using is the sheet metal functionality - I can automatically create the flat patterns for the complex shaped like the support plates in the photo above.

28ten

Guv'nor
When you get a bit further on send me a dxf of your developments and I can cut them out of some cheap card. its amazing what you see when the parts are cut out and it can save some expensive mistakes.....

S

SteveO

Good luck with this Pugsley, I've been watching it 'over there'. I'm in the competition too!

S

SteveO

Mine's the Fox Walker, Pugsley. I've been doing a bit of glueing but got distracted by the Chelsea goal and made a bit of a hash on the smokebox door...

iploffy

OC Blue Brigade
Not... erm... not drifting towards a wishlist, there, are we...??:D;)

Guilty as charged, too, of course....

:rolleyes::oops::p

I never said I wanted one or more ( OK it would be nice) you did

WHOOOOOP, WHOOOOOP, WHOOOOOP,

WISHLIST ALERT, WISHLIST ALERT

THE BOSSES HENCHMAN IS BREAKING THE RULES

WHOOOOOP, WHOOOOOP, WHOOOOOP,:))

S

SteveO

I thought you'd never ask...
The etch I designed, in 2mm scale:
IMG_0976.jpg

A scale reference... (excuse the fluff)IMG_0984.jpgChassis coming along...IMG_0997.jpgThe cab taking shape...IMG_0999.jpgThe full story is over there in the scratchbuild contest. Will upload the completed body superstructure later tonight.

iploffy

OC Blue Brigade
I know it's a ride on toy for my 7mm diorama:)), no seriously it looks good mate a bit on the small side but none the less well done