Contender for the best photo of a Western ... and some video!

Devonbelle

Western Thunderer
Lovely. Of course there was a Whizzo on the Western with real freight before on the privatised railway. I was involved about 2001 when it worked clay hoppers in Cornwall, on the branches - I was the regional freight manager for Railtrack after EWS approached me, I got a pals (very old) freight train loads book (for 4 wheel clay hoods), few rough calcs as to equivalent CDA (air brake clay hopper weights) and we were in business. Rgds Paul aka Devonbelle

flexible_coupling

Western Thunderer
I'm a month or so late to the party - but what a party this would've been for the anoraks out there!

Since privatization of the railways here in Australia, we routinely see our museum pieces (literally wheeled out of museums!) running all around the country in multiple on all manners of freight services. Magazines publish 6-7x locomotive multiple-heading freight trains, wee little 1000hp first generation locomotives struggling away! It's delightful to see that at least one railway company over there can see the value in a little PR exercise.