7mm Corwen Road

3 LINK

Western Thunderer
My original compressor also had an air reservoir, and it use to make me jump out my skin everytime the pressure dropped as the compressor kicked back in. I now have an almost silent Silair, such a difference.

Martyn.

michael080

Western Thunderer
Larry,

the little compressor looks nice, lightyears from your old one, but I would keep the pressure reservoir. There are surely situations where want to have pressure AND volume.

Michael

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
Yes, with Gauge O volume might just be necessary! But then again you probably know how to handle a spray gun!!!!

I have to admit I am going with a very large tank but that has nothing to do with railway modelling, more for vintage car restoration and painting 1:1 scale doors.

Deano747

Western Thunderer
Yes, with Gauge O volume might just be necessary! But then again you probably know how to handle a spray gun!!!!

I have to admit I am going with a very large tank but that has nothing to do with railway modelling, more for vintage car restoration and painting 1:1 scale doors.
How on earth do you find time, Paul!!

Regards
Rob (Deano)

LarryG

Western Thunderer
The old compressor was industrial to feed full-size sprayguns. My eyesight must be going because I can't see the hobby compressor designed for air brushes topping up the old tank. :rolleyes:

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
Larry

I am not sure your new compressor can fill those large tanks. I did some research when in France during September and discussed my findings here

Air Compressors - what to buy?

I haven’t done anything since but as I will be using the compressor to spray 1:1 scale things it will be large! Early next year will be decision time.

Hope this is of use, Paul

paulc

Western Thunderer
Hi Larry , the tank is just a vessel and can be filled by your small compressor. Imagine a bath , you can fill it quickly with the tap wide open or very slowly with a drip but it will fill up as long as there are no leaks or evaporation .
Your small compressor is of the drip type . I have seen similar compressors mounted on a flattened tank that we called a pancake compressor when i was 'in the trade' or i have seen one connected to an old lpg gas bottle , more time than sense with that one though . I have also used one where the tank was the carry handle that was made of 1" tube .
Cheers Paul

simond

Western Thunderer
I agree with Paul C’s view, with one proviso.

Some smaller motors are run at some level well above their continuous rating because they are only run intermittently. Unimat lathes, and car window motors spring to mind (the latter are rated between 20-25W, but run at over 100, about 5 seconds, once in a while).

If your tank is “huge”, and your compressor “tiny”, it will fill it, eventually, but it may well decide to stop for a breather during the process. Thermal protection, in the form of a self resetting switch, is fairly typical, but by no means certain, so do keep an eye (or back of the hand) on the motor to check it isn’t overheating.

Of course, once the tank is full, assuming no leaks, the compressor only has to replenish what you use, so, being small, it will run little-and-often, rather than once-in-a-blue-moon.

Atb
Simon

michael080

Western Thunderer
Well,

I have proposed to keep the tank. Paul's and Simon's are correct, but there problem might be that the small compressors will not be able to start against a pressurized output line. We use these small type of rubber sealed piston compressors at work and their pressure line has to be released to ambient before they can restart. The motors are just too weak. Large compressors with large tanks have always a relief valve that isolates and vents the pressure line between compressor and tank.
Sorry for my silly proposal.
Michael

LarryG

Western Thunderer
I have continued to post on this Corwen Road thread for convenience, as I haven't settled on a name for a fresh layout thread. While based on Llanfyllin, the nearby Vernwy Lake has always been uppermost in my mind as a tourist attraction and source of traffic. In fact the station amenities including a buffet/tea room are designed to cater for day trippers.

I have privately referred to it as Llanfair Road for months, however, I hope to have sorted something out by next year.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
I lost the sash windows for the station building but the kind producer sent me a spare fret yesterday and so the job was completed this morning. The building still needs signage but that can wait...
WEB House 21A.jpg
Station Masters house and front door. He had all the upstairs rooms, but the downstairs next door became a buffet/tea room when the extension took place in 1890...
WEB House 21B.jpg
There were a general waiting room adjacent to the entrance lobby, ticket office & left-luggage, ladies toilet and porters room around the back end. The Gents will be in a separate building eventually...
WEB House 21D.jpg
View through the entrance lobby showing the ticket office...
WEB House 21E.jpg

Last edited:

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
That's quite lovely, Larry. The wear on the step is a wonderful touch but there are so many more. I'm sure I could come round at a convenient time and officially Christen the gents' for you. (See what I did there).

I really hope that you are on the road to firmly committing to this project. Such a shame when you abandoned (for good reason) the last one.

Brian

Stephen

Western Thunderer
That station building is simply stunning!

what’s the basic dimentions of it - just to get an appreciation of the size?

cheers,

Stephen