Craig and Mertonford.

Roger Pound

Western Thunderer
The Railway Modeller and 009 news have recently published tributes to the 75th anniversary of the Craig and Mertonford Railway - the pioneer of what evolved in to 009 narrow gauge modelling. Originated by the late Philip Hancock, or PDH as he was known, it opened a new field of modelling for many. l had the privilege of meeting PDH briefly at Leeds many years ago and also corresponded occasionally with him over many years. He was, as far as I am concerned, a mentor who shaped my thoughts and what few skills I have developed in the art of railway modelling.

I feel that it is worth bringing this pioneer layout and its creator to the notice of you all, with a dash of personal memories, at the time of this anniversary.

Thanks,

Roger (Just a fair bit older than the C&M, ;).)

ceejaydee

Western Thunderer
The 'Craigshire in Colour' article in Railway Modeller April 1980 is likely to have been my introduction to the C&M. I was in my second year at middle school and the school library took RM to enlighten pupils to the creative hobby we love.
Angus McThwatts smooth haired terrier barking defiance at the incline to Dundriech (or something very similar) remains in my memory almost 45 and a half years later. We were lucky enough to be able to choose a couple of RMs when the library became overloaded with back issues and I usually managed to persuade a couple of classmates to take some to despite no interest in model railways.
As a 9/10 year old, the modelling was inspiring but I also enjoyed the story of the miniature world PDH created and I still enjoy the fiction around model railways and the little folk that inhabit our creations.

Last edited:

David Waite

Western Thunderer
I still have my copy of a PECO publication called Starting In Scale 00 it’s only a 32 page booklet the photo on the front cover is of P.D. Hancocks Craig and Mertonford standard gauge section with a train leaving Altbeg station and on page 10 there is a photo of the same train at the Altbeg station platform, I have always admired these pictures they just look lovely it has always given me the thought of maybe I could have something like that someday,
someday is still yet to come life got in the way.
David.

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
The 'Craigshire in Colour' article in Railway Modeller April 1980 is likely to have been my introduction to the C&M.
It definitely was my introduction. :thumbs: I still have that article - and many others from RM about "P.D."* & the C&M saved in my 'scrapbook'. Just yesterday I lent my copy of 'Narrow Gauge Adventure' to my young friend who found it fascinating too.

* those initials "P.D." seemed like one of those Great Secrets of the Toddler from the old days - just what was his name, & what did he look like?? I think I only found out with the Obiturary published in RM after he passed.

Stephen Freeman

Western Thunderer
C&M first appeared in the Modeller some years previously. My late father was given some backnumbers when I was very young and among them was the Coronation special issue in 1953, the first with a full colour photo of you guessed it on the front! The article inside was even better of course! Still have it somewhere I think.

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
C&M first appeared in the Modeller some years previously
Of course it did, but you had to be a) alive, & b) buying RM, to see those articles at the time. ;) ...hence why I was only aware of the C&M due to that April '80 article. I was in my teens but had only been in the hobby a few years at the time. Before that it was Airfix kits, mostly WW2 RAF kites. :)
I think the earliest in my collection of C&M articles are from the early '70s. Apparently a lot of "Narrow Gauge Adventure" draws heavily on what was published in RM in the '50s & '60s anyway.