Crane Locomotives

Osgood

Western Thunderer
Ah yes you’ve re-craned this, I was referring to the original Sentinel unit.
Rule 1 and the cab will hide a lot anyway.
I still can’t get over how good a match for the original style that crane jib is!

spikey faz

Western Thunderer
Ah yes you’ve re-craned this, I was referring to the original Sentinel unit.
Rule 1 and the cab will hide a lot anyway.
I still can’t get over how good a match for the original style that crane jib is!
It took a while to track down.

I think I'm going to leave the seat as it is. Otherwise I'll probably never get this finished.

I suppose the paint scheme will be all-over black. Bit boring, but I don't think I can get away with yellow!

Mike

spikey faz

Western Thunderer
I've started to get some more paint on. Went for green for some of the bodywork to make things a bit more colourful.
20210313_121537.jpg
20210313_121521.jpg
20210313_121353.jpg

I'm trying to find a model of the ash grab bucket as pictured below. If anyone knows of anything suitable, please let me know. Failing that I'll just stick a standard hook on the end instead.
20210313_120626.jpg

Cheers
Mike

Osgood

Western Thunderer
Kingfisher Models list a 1/50 whitemetal clamshell grab for a 19RB crane, so likely to be in proportion to the 1/43 Sentinel.
Their price list that can be accessed via the modelbuszone website:
http://www.modelbuszone.co.uk/tmb/images_model_kits/mabex/Kingfisher_Models_2019_Catalogue.pdf
19RB Grab bucket.jpg

I suspect the bucket will be way too narrow, though it may be a straightforward job to widen it?

Funnily enough only last week some suitable 1/48 or 50 white metal grabs appeared as 'also recommended' under an ebay search list item I looked at, but they were described as something odd and I can't find them.

spikey faz

Western Thunderer
Cheers Tony.

I've also found someone advertising some 3D printed clamshell buckets in the UK which might do.

I've lost a bit of mojo on this at the moment and just want to get it finished. I'm looking at taking a break from railway modelling for a bit (at least in this scale). Think I'm drifting into other stuff like 1:24 dioramas. :)

Mike

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
Kingfisher Models list a 1/50 whitemetal clamshell grab for a 19RB crane, so likely to be in proportion to the 1/43 Sentinel.
Their price list that can be accessed via the modelbuszone website:
http://www.modelbuszone.co.uk/tmb/images_model_kits/mabex/Kingfisher_Models_2019_Catalogue.pdf
View attachment 140056

I suspect the bucket will be way too narrow, though it may be a straightforward job to widen it?

Funnily enough only last week some suitable 1/48 or 50 white metal grabs appeared as 'also recommended' under an ebay search list item I looked at, but they were described as something odd and I can't find them.

Tony,
There's a lot in that catalogue that could be used for 1/43 scale trucks I reckon, especially the wheels and tyres.

Col.

spikey faz

Western Thunderer
That is a magnificent paint finish, Mike.

Which paints and methods are you using?

JB.
Well, I'm not sure it's that good, but thank you. :)

It's pretty much all Halfords spray cans. I use their red primer to start with. If there's a nice flat area I use some very fine wet and dry paper and lots of water to smooth it down before putting the top coat on. It's all done in the shed at the bottom of our garden, much to the annoyance of the resident spiders! Just make sure the cans are well shaken and warm.

Mike

Last edited:

spikey faz

Western Thunderer
I've just realised I hadn't made the coal bunker, so here it is as a work in progress. From what I can see it curves round the boiler.
20210317_195105.jpg
20210317_195131.jpg
The cab-side is crying out for some lettering/numbers. Can I get away with something like 'Brighton Works'? I know it should be LNER, but I think there's enough differences in my model compared with the prototype to justify going down the fictitious route.

Mike

spikey faz

Western Thunderer
There won't be a Mark III version, but I'm happy for anyone to point me in the direction of a picture or diagram of how these grab buckets actually work! ;)

Mike

Osgood

Western Thunderer
Mostly they were two-rope grabs:
- one rope attached to the top block that anchors the 4 x arms to bucket outer corners,
- one attached to the lower transom to which the bucket shell inner pivots mount.

When the load is taken by the top block rope, the bucket shells open by virtue of its weight.
When the lower rope takes the weight, the transom is lifted up relative to the top block which closes the bucket shells.

You can get single rope grabs where there is a latching lock that can be released by a tag line.
I'll take a look at the Sentinel pics again to see what type these were.