Alan

Western Thunderer
Yuk, hardly heroic. That would make a splendid weathering job, but would anyone believe it?

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
Looks great to my eyes :drool::cool::cool::cool:...........bit too ex-works compared to D7052 though ;)

I wonder if anyone knows if the maroon showing is red oxide primer or original maroon ?.......looks like white primer showing as well ?

lancer1027

Western Thunderer
Well guys that is the condition and the pics i am going to work from when i do my Western Hero. Should be next when ive finished Buccaneer:rolleyes:

Rob

28ten

Guv'nor
Well guys that is the condition and the pics i am going to work from when i do my Western Hero. Should be next when ive finished Buccaneer:rolleyes:

Rob
I have just spent 10 minutes with this test piece on a Big big Hymek, I think the colour range isnt far off for blue and grot, but it is nowhere near tatty enough, yet it looks an absolute tip on the bench. I think it will be very hard to pull off
IMG_4897.JPG

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
I think I would have to spray it white or grey primer then maroon & then blue, I would then get busy with the fibre pen & other abrasives, then loads of grime in various shades & white spirit.......I don't think it would be too hard to achieve that look but it would take lots of time...............would be great fun though :)

28ten

Guv'nor
I think I would have to spray it white or grey primer then maroon & then blue, I would then get busy with the fibre pen & other abrasives, then loads of grime in various shades & white spirit.......I don't think it would be too hard to achieve that look but it would take lots of time...............would be great fun though :)
Yeah, you have to go with layers, the difficult part is scaling it down so it looks right in a small scale. if you look at it closely there are places where it is blue over maroon but in others it is blue over primer

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
Yeah, you have to go with layers, the difficult part is scaling it down so it looks right in a small scale.
A set of photo's like that are a good start, weathering like any other aspect of modeling is best done with good prototype pics of the actual loco, I don't think I could do that without the pics to refer to.
if you look at it closely there are places where it is blue over maroon but in others it is blue over primer
Yes your right, I would go primer/maroon/primer/blue & all those layers would have to be put on sparingly so the detail on the model was not obliterated & left to fully harden before a start could be made on weathering.........I would do the whole lot in enamels which in it's self would slow down the process, but I find enamels really do lend themselves to this kind of Laira washing plant weathering :cool::cool::cool: :)

28ten

Guv'nor
A set of photo's like that are a good start, weathering like any other aspect of modeling is best done with good prototype pics of the actual loco, I don't think I could do that without the pics to refer to.
I think you have to take viewing distance into account, I suspect that if you reproduced it scratch by scratch it wouldnt look right, it would take a fair degree of interpretation. My recent experiments with mortar suggest that even though something has been painted/modelled to scale it can look crap at 2-3ft, i guess it is the point where the artist takes over from the engineer :)

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
Yes you can't possibly produce it scratch by scratch, I tend to put the key elements of the particular loco & the rest is an overall impression of the look of the thing........but I do need those pics to keep the overall look together ;)

28ten

Guv'nor
Yes you can't possibly produce it scratch by scratch, I tend to put the key elements of the particular loco & the rest is an overall impression of the look of the thing........but I do need those pics to keep the overall look together ;)
If I hadnt seen the pictures I wouldnt believe it would be allowed to operate in that state!

28ten

Guv'nor
What really appalls me isn't so much the state of the loco, but the date the picture seems to have been taken....
1971..??!!??
I know the last ones got pretty tatty in 1976, but 1971..??? Just how soon after a re-paint to Blue was that..?? 3 or 4 years? That the loco could get into such a state in such a short time is just ridiculous.
There is a shot of 1055 in '68 and that is filthy Maroon and 1021 in an even worse condition 66/67 at St Davids. It is just hard to believe that they let front line machines get in this state.

Pennine MC

Western Thunderer
If I hadnt seen the pictures I wouldnt believe it would be allowed to operate in that state!

It is exceptional isnt it, even by hydraulic standards. Earlier, Phill references 7052, the notoriously manky BSYP Hymek, but that did have the excuse of having been stored for a while.

IIRC 'Hero' was one of the four that were never dual braked, it would only have lasted another two years or so I think.

28ten

Guv'nor
Yes it was withdrawn in '73. I have just checked Curtis and 1020 had the final overhaul in December '71. It went blue on 29/11/67 and looking at those shots it shows :)