Dapol Announcement

Archie Atkinson

So I wait in anticipation for todays announcement from the aforementioned hoping a J94 would be the next loco in their O gauge stable and what do we get? Another loco with a limited area of operation unless you are Southern and like dockyards down south. A J94, or to be correct, a Hunslet Austerity tank, which has a more and varied use BR, The NCB and other industrial sites ...... yours .... disappointed of Abingdon

AJC

Western Thunderer
Ah, so a B4, for which they already have the research material? That was a matter of time I would have thought.

Used by, among others, Stewarts and Lloyds, the NCB, a couple of open cast contractors, a number of construction contractors and presumably the War Department as well as appearing across the SR from Plymouth to Dover. Not your thing, perhaps, but it will be others'. Never mind.

Adam

Marc Dobson

Western Thunderer
Personally I'm very happy with a B4. One,at least will find a home on "Scratchy Bottom" or "Boggs and Son". I was after another LSWR tank loco.
Marc

jcm@gwr

Although my interests are obviously GWR, I'm pleased they have gone elsewhere, and kept going for variety.
It's a nice choice, but I hope that the next loco will be a small LNER tank loco.
The problem is (as I see it) that the pannier and auto-tank were obvious choices for the GWR, the Jinty for
the LMS, and the Terrier for the Southern, but the choice for the LNER is not so clear-cut.
The J94 is not specifically an LNER loco, although it's always been closely associated with them, (as well as
the NCB) it's going to be a difficult decision to choose a loco that was long lived, and had a wide geographical
coverage.

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
Although my interests are obviously GWR, I'm pleased they have gone elsewhere, and kept going for variety.
It's a nice choice, but I hope that the next loco will be a small LNER tank loco.
The problem is (as I see it) that the pannier and auto-tank were obvious choices for the GWR, the Jinty for
the LMS, and the Terrier for the Southern, but the choice for the LNER is not so clear-cut.
The J94 is not specifically an LNER loco, although it's always been closely associated with them, (as well as
the NCB) it's going to be a difficult decision to choose a loco that was long lived, and had a wide geographical
coverage.

For the LNER I reckon the J69 would be the obvious choice.

Col.

jcm@gwr

I think a J50, or a J52, would be good first choices, they were both long lived, made in quite large numbers,
and they were also spread around a bit.
The next best options would probably be J69 and J72, but we'll have to wait a while now.

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Very pleased to see a B4 emerge. I have three of their 4mm versions and they are the sweetest runners.
I will definitely be acquiring at least one of the 7mm examples.

Reverting to 4mm, a J69 would be ideal for me at present but I cant see one on the horizon any time soon but a 7mm version would be nice.

And I agree, good to see a move away from the Greasy Wet and Rusty, a path I was so very nearly drawn along.......

Rob.

AndyH

I hope one day they translate the Kernow sponsored Beattie well tank to 7mm. I could imagine one could have escaped further west than Bodmin, but could find a home on many layouts.

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
Examples of the J72 were built by the NER, LNER & BR, so to me it's really surprising that there is only the mainly pewter DJH kit available let alone rtr. Yet there are umpteen examples GWR classes, 8F's A3/4's etc.

The popularity of the small engines from Dapol, Minerva, Ixion etc. Show that there is a definite market for small tanks and I am sure that one would be welcome but I want one that I can build myself.

I can but dream!

richard carr

Western Thunderer
Personally I just want Dapol to deliver what has already been announced, we still don't have a mark 1 coach anywhere in sight, just more promises that it is one a ship from China, this one appears to be taking 6 months to get here !

Richard

Marc Dobson

Western Thunderer
I hope one day they translate the Kernow sponsored Beattie well tank to 7mm. I could imagine one could have escaped further west than Bodmin, but could find a home on many layouts.

I'm working on a RTR well tank at the moment. Im hoping to have a prototype done by September. CAD models are 50% done. Some many variations. And that just in the 3 that ended up at Bodmin. So far 2 boiler types, two cab types, two chassis types, 4 footplates types and then there are minor details. And that just between 1895 and 1962.
Makes the terrier or the B4 with their various detail changes look like a doddle.
Marc