7mm Darstaed BR Mk 1

John Ross

Western Thunderer
Continuing the venture of dipping my toe in to O gauge R-T-R and since members of my local club were pleased with the Suburban coaches from this manufacturer purchased from Ellis Clark I decided to purchase some Mk1 stock from the same supplier.

DSCF6755 (2).JPG

Quality is excellent with the majority of the vehicle being of metal construction with separate handrails on the bodyside footsteps I think are soldered to the body. Roof and ends are made of ABS, other fixtures and fittings and attached by screws. Lighting is available and can be turned on/off by switch on the bogie that collects power from the track, the bogies are compensated. Lamp on Brake end also lights and can be moved and works on either end of the coach.

DSCF6756 (2).JPG

DSCF6761 (2).JPG

Kadee couplings are fitted as standard, so easy to connect coaches in a rake. These can be exchanged for a screw type coupling so useful if your locos are fitted with hooks. Corridor connection also have a magnet to hold them together that is claimed will keep connections in place when negotiation 6 foot radius curve. Buffers are also sprung.

DSCF6757 (2).JPG

DSCF6753 (2).JPG DSCF6762 (2).JPG

There is an extensive instruction booklet and transfers for a range of regions, sadly for me only Scottish region seems to be missing, but that not much of a problem.

Osgood

Western Thunderer
These are excellent coaches but ride a little high.

Phil - this from the Ellis Clarke website:

18/05/2020 - All coaches are now fitted as standard with the newly tooled Mk1 bogies (unless fitted with Commonwealth bogies). These newly tooled bogies bring the coaches down in height by 0.7mm, however an optional 'disc pack' is included in the box to increase the distance between bogie top and chassis bottom, so that they a. line up with all previous coaches with older style Mk1 bogies, and b. for negotiating 2nd radius curves.

Does this resolve the height issue?
I'm interested in some of these as the glazing looks way better than Dapol's MK1 (I guess I really need to compare the two in the flesh).

Also showing out of stock of most liveried brake coaches - I will contact them to see if they will be restocking at some stage.

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
These are excellent coaches but ride a little high.

The coaches generally look good but two things really bug me about the one I have. The detail on the ends, particularly the corridor connections is poor. Might be fine when coaches are coupled together but it's not great for an end of rake. The main issue I have though is the height of the coach. It's much higher than it should be and stands out when coupled next to other coaches. IMO the just released Dapol version is a much better alternative.

Compton castle

Western Thunderer
I’d like to see a Darstead suburban Mk1 coupled to a lionheart B set if any one has both?
I’m Thinking of adding one to a B set as a strengthened coach.

Osgood

Western Thunderer
Given that the buffers and roof gutters line up ok, the footboard and base of the body side seem slightly higher on the suburban - is this prototypical?

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
Something has bugged me about the Darstaed Mk1s, and I’ve worked out what it is. The door drop lights are too low. They’ve been aligned to the bottom of the windows, when they’re not supposed to be.

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
Look right to me. If I were into O Gauge, I would fit fresh glazing.
View attachment 140586

The suburban are right, but the corridor jobs don’t look right to me. The drop light ought to be vertically centred on the main windows.

Actually, ignore me. I think my Covid jab is making me see things! The corridor coaches are correct.

I’ve got my anorak…

Osgood

Western Thunderer
Looks like the suburban glazing just needs sticking in properly, a lot of gaps showing where the clear sheet doesn't sit tight to the side.
I may investigate at some stage (don't hold your breath).

LarryG

Western Thunderer
My usual practice of fitting thick glazing is turned on its head and I used very thin glazing so it curved to the profile of 4mm etched brass Mk.I coaches when glued to the inside walls. I suspect it was from Slaters.

Curved glazing is not strictly correct, but it looks right and that's the main thing.