Tim Hale

Western Thunderer
Mike,

Dorset is home and I was thinking ‘what have I missed at Swanage’

But at least the Dart isn’t too far from here, very nice photos

Tim

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
There is/was another S160 at the Watercress Line over 20 years ago, also “tarted up” and named Franklin D Roosevelt. I’ll look for photos.

There were problems with the class, I think mainly hot wheel bearings but not so sure. After D Day most went to mainland Europe, some as far as Turkey. The S160 At Rowley was affectionately called the Yank.

Northroader

Western Thunderer
The firebox stays were discovered not to have enough meat on them, then the water level gauges could be inadvertently shut off, both of these faults leading to boiler explosions, when these deficiencies were discovered.

Lyndhurstman

Western Thunderer
Nice photos.
A 4mm one would be tempting. We had 3278 'Franklin D. Roosevelt' at Toddington back in 1996. Very easy to drive, and commodious in the cab department. Although the dent in the doors of the old Dowty Shed were testament to her light feet (man, I was squeezing that handbrake like it was the font of the elixir of youth, but she just wouldn't stop... :eek:)

Cheers

Jan

Richard Gawler

Western Thunderer
DSCF0014 (1).jpg
My Roco 1:87 S160 to compare with Paul's photo above, but photographed on a radius 2 curve.
The model seems to include some details omitted on the prototype, such as the appendage at the bottom of the Westinghouse pump.
Might look rather good in the preserved LMR livery . . .

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
The model seems to include some details omitted on the prototype, such as the appendage at the bottom of the Westinghouse pump.

The Westinghouse pump as modelled by Roco is correct for the period. The Westinghouse pump on Franklin D. Roosevelt is the European version and was either fitted by FS before sale to SEK (Hellenic State Railways) or by SEK.

When the S160s were taken on after WWII by PKP, SEK, FS TCDD and MÁV; and as they passed through the railway workshops they started to receive European fittings including the Westinghouse pump.

The S160s which remained on 'home turf' so to speak were those at the Fort Eustis Army Base in Virginia and on the Alaska Railroad - plus an odd railroad here and there. These received the usual US fittings (including steam reversers) as shown on my DJH HO model (left in the picture below).

DSCF4233.jpg

DSCF4242.jpg

AJC

Western Thunderer
I've not got my subs copy yet but apparently the latest MRJ has an article on scratchbuilding an S160 in EM gauge.

It does indeed (and very nice it looks, having picked up a copy at Charing Cross this morning).

Adam