Prototype Dave Holt's few B&W photos

Dave Holt

Western Thunderer
As I mentioned in a comment in Larry G's wonderful album thread, most of my B&W photos taken in the steam era have been misplaced although, hopefully, I might rediscover them someday.
However, a mere handful of my photos relating to rebuilt Bulleid pacifics are in my model file, so I thought I'd post them on here.
Please excuse the poor quality as these are scans of enprint(?) sized prints. Also, I didn't record the date of any of my photos, but these all date from the mid 1960's and were taken with a 35 mm view finder camera.
First, a loco in full working condition. 34040 has just brought the north bound Pines Express to Oxford and is in the process of being taken off the train to be replaced by a Class 47, if I remember correctly, for the onward journey to Manchester. The train, on which I travelled from Bournemouth Central to Manchester, was routed via Wolverhampton Low Level, Wellington and Market Drayton to Crewe.
34040_at_Oxford.jpg
Next we have a small selection of quite a lot of photos I took on my only visit to Woodhams scrap yard at Barry. I was rather timid and didn't venture too far from the hole in the iron railings I wiggled through in case I got caught by any workers. The yard was absolutely rammed with all sorts of locos at that time - perhaps 1965 or 6.
A general shot with a light pacific surrounded by western locos and a 9F.
Barry_gen.jpg

One thing that surprised me was the range of completeness or odd bits that had been removed for different locos of the same type. It seemed quite random. One loco had had one of the lower slide bars removed but,otherwise, was quite complete.
Here we see 34010 in fairly typical condition, I suppose, whereas 34027 still has a full set of injectors and delivery pipes. Just the sort of high value, non-ferrous items you'd expect to have been whipped off pretty smartish. Bet they weren't still on by the time Taw Valley was rescued!
34010_Barry.jpg
34027_Barry.jpg

Dave.

Dave Holt

Western Thunderer
Whilst searching through another model file, I came across two more B&W photos. Both taken at Largs in June 1962. BR Standard Class 5, 73124, was waiting departure on a train to Glasgow St Enoch, I believe.
73124_Largs_1962.jpg

After standing by the loco for a while, I was invited onto the footplate and the driver took the second shot using my camera. On the same day, I also photographed a Jubilee on a similar working, but can't find the photo at present.
73124_Largs_19621.jpg

I was 12 years old (I had hair, then!)and visiting my father who was working at the nearby Hunterston A nuclear power station construction site. I've got a photo of me inside one of the reactor domes.

Dave.

Ian@StEnochs

Western Thunderer
Whilst searching through another model file, I came across two more B&W photos. Both taken at Largs in June 1962. BR Standard Class 5, 73124, was waiting departure on a train to Glasgow St Enoch, I believe.
View attachment 136729

After standing by the loco for a while, I was invited onto the footplate and the driver took the second shot using my camera. On the same day, I also photographed a Jubilee on a similar working, but can't find the photo at present.
View attachment 136730

I was 12 years old (I had hair, then!)and visiting my father who was working at the nearby Hunterston A nuclear power station construction site. I've got a photo of me inside one of the reactor domes.

Dave.

Dave,

You would notice a big change at Largs! No longer a 4 platform station it’s basically an electrified siding from Ardrossan now. St Enoch too is no longer, replaced with a shopping mall.

Hunterston A station is long shut down and well into the dismantling process. It’s successor, Hunterston B, is now in its last few years of operation.

Ian.

Dave Holt

Western Thunderer
Really scraping the barrel now, unless I can find my other photos.
Sorry about the quality. Not only were the lighting conditions difficult, but these are scanned from prints I did myself in the school dark room.
Here are two modelling detail shots taken in the cab of a WD 2-8-0 inside Newton Heath loco shed in about 1965/6. The drivers side with brake ejector and control valve and the displacement cylinder lubricator on the firemans side. No doubt these will stir memories for Larry G.
WD_Cab_01.jpg
WD_Cab_02.jpg
Dave.

Dave Holt

Western Thunderer
OK, not exactly B&W, but inspired by Larry's last two shots, here's two for the price of one.
34027+35028_1.jpg
34027+35028_2.jpg
Can't remember when this was or where we stopped for water - somewhere in Kent on the way back to London - Ramsgate perhaps?
Anyway, two Bulleids gave quite a spritely performance and a grand day out. Clan Line masquerading as long lost 35017 on this occasion.
Dave.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Ha ha, I can see now why your Delph/Holt layout had a Bullied on it. Variations in the shape of those Tenders was rife, which I remember from a batch of 4mm locos I painted for Dave King.

Nice to see the Austerity 2-8-0 backhead. I remember it well. They were such simple engines to handle.

Dave Holt

Western Thunderer
Thanks for the clarification, Roger.
Mind you, to a lad from Oldham, Ramsgate, Margate - they're all the same - south of Watford!:p
Dave.

Scanlon

Western Thunderer
Hi Dave,
Not Headcorn as we came outward via Maidstone East and returned via Sole Street. The climb up Sole Street bank was superb.
Roger

Joe's Garage

Western Thunderer
Lovely shots of Barry, I can still vividly remember visiting in the early 60s with Dad on the way to the narrow gauge lines in Wales. I was quite young but we left home early in the morning and got back in the early hours of the next day. Pre motorways!
Wonderful memories!
By the way Dave are you Dave Holt of Thorncombe?
Thanks for the photos.
Julian

LarryG

Western Thunderer
I am just finishing the cab details on a WD 2-8-0. Can you remember what colour the inside walls and roof were painted please?

Ian.
Hi Ian, Cabs that did register in my mind were brownish-burn colour rather than cream, but even here I cannot say which locos they were. If I can't remember the colour on Austerities, then I doubt they were anything other than black in appearance.

It's a bit like the optical glass presses I operated at Chance-Pilkington. If anyone asked me what colour they were, I don't remember, but I could go back tomorrow and operate one and know what faults to look out for in glass as if it were only yesterday and not fifty years ago. :)

Dave Holt

Western Thunderer
Ian,
Sorry, it's a long time ago and I wasn't paying much attention to the paintwork. My gut feeling, reinforced by glimpses in the photos, is that everything was pretty much blackened, whatever its original colour.
The official BR paint scheme for inside cabs was sides and front plate - black up to the windows, red lead above and white roof forward of the extension. Bet it didn't stay that way for long in service.
A couple of cab shots in the Rowledge Austerity 2-8-0 and 2-10-0 book shows it all very dark, so perhaps WDs were just plain black inside?

Julian.
Glad the Barry photos stirred some good memories. I remember that when we woke up the morning after I'd taken the photos, it had snowed quite heavily. Our landlady in the B&B said she'd never known it snow in Barry before.
No, I'm not Dave Holt from Thorncombe.

Dave.

Dave Holt

Western Thunderer
Not sure if this is the right place, but does anyone know of an easy method of transferring 35 mm slides into digital format? I ask because, although I can't find my old B&W prints, I do have a few colour slides taken before the end of BR steam. In particular, I took quite a few photos on the famous K1 + Great Marquess tour of North Yorkshire coastal towns - Bridlington, Filey, Scarborough and Whitby, if I remember correctly. A gorgeous sunny day resulted in some nice shots including watering the locos at Robin Hood's Bay.
Dave.

michael080

Western Thunderer
Dave,

the "Reflecta Digitdia 7000" seems to be a good system, although it is already quite ancient. Its big advantage is that it can be batch operated to scan a whole magazine in one run.
I don't know about the situation in the UK. You can rent it for a period of time in Germany.

Michael