Prototype Dave Holt's few B&W photos

Dave Holt

Western Thunderer
Here are a couple of scanned 35 mm colour slides. Sorry the quality isn't exactly good but they are a record of the event - the special hauled by K1, 62005 and The Great Marquess along parts of the North Yorkshire coast.
I'm not absolutely certain, but I believe the first shot is at Bridlington, the second is Robin Hood's Bay.
62005_at_WhitbyUntitled.jpg
62005 & 3442_at_Robin_Hoods_Bay.jpg
Dave.

richard carr

Western Thunderer
Dave

The second shot is Bridlington (the lower one), you can see the goods shed on the right which is still there as an retail unit today. The train looks to be on platform 2 heading north to Scarborough.

I'm not sure about the top photo but it doesn't look like Brid.

Richard

Dave Holt

Western Thunderer
Oh, thanks Richard - I've clearly got them mixed up. Unfortunately, I didn't mark up the slide cards, they're just in an indexed holding box which could easily have the slides in the wrong slots.
I wonder if the top shot could be Whitby? It looks quite dark and it was getting late by the time we reached there. I seem to recall it was pitch black as we traversed what is now the North Yorks Moors Railway on the way back to York, Normanton (loco change to a Jubilee) and on towards Manchester.
Dave.

richard carr

Western Thunderer
Dave

It could be Whitby WestCliffe station as that was surrounded by housing, but I don't know that well enough to be 100% certain.
I grew up in Bridlington, so I'm pretty certain about that.

Richard

Dave Holt

Western Thunderer
Thanks, Col. Your information confirms that I've mixed up the sequence of photos I took on the trip.
The train visited Bridlington, Filey (got a couple of shots from there but haven't scanned them, yet) and Scarborough (not into the station, though), then up the coast line through Robin Hood's Bay and reversed down to Whitby Town station. Then back via Pickering.

Whilst looking through the box with the slide, which my sister recovered from our old house in Oldham, I found three odd B&W prints - rather poor I have to admit. Here they are.
First, BR Standard Caprotti Class 5, No. 73130. I can't say I remember taking this. I have no idea of the location although the building in the background is quite distinctive. Perhaps someone will recognise it. Miles Platting area, perhaps?
73130.jpg
Next, a Metro-Vic Co-Bo, D5702, leaving Manchester Victoria in the general direction of Red Bank Sidings.Metro-Vic_at_Manchester_Victoria.jpg

Finally, a Birmingham Type 2 (I think) in the north end bay platforms at Carlisle Citadel, with what looks like an ex-LMS Class 4 next to it.
BCW_Type2_at_Carlisle.jpg
Unless I find the bulk of my B&W prints, I think that's it from that era. The colour slides I've got are mainly blue diesels and preservation era steam - both main line and preserved railways.

Dave.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Caprotti Five No. 73130 might possibly be shunting carriages into Lightbowne carriage siding at Newton Heath Station. There were some tasty buildings in that area near Newton Heath MPD. Wasn't one a railway institute or something?

I don't think I ever saw a Crossley Co-Bo. They generally operated south of Manchester.

Dave Holt

Western Thunderer
Thanks for the suggestion, Larry. I was thinking more between Miles Platting and Newton Heath, where Wilson's(?) brewery was.

Anyway, on to something completely different, which I'm absolutely sure about!
Here we are at the old Tournon depot of the preserved Vivarais Railway in the Rhone Valley in SE France. This depot no longer exists and the current railway starts a few kilometres outside Tournon, much the pity. The depot had a wonderful dilapidated air about it and, in a typical French laid back approach, no-one seemed to have any concern with visitors just roaming about.
First, one of the earlier 0-6-6-0 Mallet compound tanks built by SLM of Swizerland. No. 403 in its rather garish bright green livery. When the railway system was in normal use, the locos were plain, unlined black. I think 403 is now black under the new incarnation of the railway.
Vivarais_403_Tournon.jpg
Hidden round the back of the shed were the rotting remains of partially cannibalised No. 401. The leading wheel sets are missing from both power units - probably "borrowed" to keep one of the other locos running.
Vivarais_401_Tournon.jpg

And one of the later, and in my view, rather ungainly, Mallets, No. 413. Again, in a Thomas The Tank, tourist livery.
Vivarais_413_Tournon.jpg
Not too sure when I took these. Late 1980's or early 90's most likely.

Dave.