Designing For Laser Cutting

28ten

Guv'nor
Hi Cynric

The individual panes are a great idea and with five different facets, they'll hopefully catch the light in prototypical fashion, something a single piece of glazing falls down on.

By the way, whatever happened to your Regan's Yard diorama - did you finish it?

Regards

Dan
I need a grassmaster or similar for the disused track. i have been conducting experiments with sieved earth for the disused ground.

28ten

Guv'nor
A little more experimentation has produced this in card, the glazing is a tight push fit and the unit is quite rigid. you can't see it in this photo but it has the effect of random reflections Dan was mentioning. I have another pile of windows in basswood to try as well.....
IMG_5388.jpg

28ten

Guv'nor
Its rare that I am actually happy with anything that I have done, but these are starting to show some promise in capturing the feel I'm after. the downside of card frames it that weathering will rely on paint effects rather than distressing actual wood, but I'm hoping that as the frames are so narrow this wont pose too many problems.

IMG_5393.jpg

28ten

Guv'nor
Unsurprisingly it was raining again this afternoon, so I caught up with a few jobs that might interest some Thunderers
On the right a wheel mask and some mylar discs for the rear of coach wheels. in the centre Mr Ploffys tortoise cover, washers and base plate
IMG_5396.jpg

Then a couple of signs for me, an o for Ian, and would a BR sign tickle Mr Ploffys fancy? yes they are waterproof ;)

IMG_5397.jpg

28ten

Guv'nor
Don't worry, its the arrows he's after :)
As I suggested earlier, I wanted to try some frames in Basswood. these weather really nicely but they are more prone to warping during the process.

IMG_5399.jpg

So to recap I have tried glazing sandwiched between card frames, ply frames with individual panes, Card frames and individual panes and basswood with individual panes, I'm not sure there is anything else I can try before it is decision time, The difference between card and basswood only really shows under magnification, but despite the difficulties I'm leaning towards basswood.

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Guv'nor... how about a comparison photo?

All of the variants in the same shot and only you knowing which is which, then ask WTers to consider etc..

Mind you, someone will find a way to slant the discussion to that b*** colour.

iploffy

OC Blue Brigade
The arrows of indecision only had one true colour background BLUE there see I said it just for you Doggers

28ten

Guv'nor
The arrows of indecision only had one true colour background BLUE there see I said it just for you Doggers
you'll be wanting your shed window done next :)
IMG_5400.jpg

I actually took this shot for Mr Buckjumper to show the limits of the engraving process for pub windows. the image on the left is two frogs and a barrel which was used on a much larger piece 1ft square, the simpler the design the better when it is reduced in size

Dan Randall

Western Thunderer
Would this technique be suitable for frosted Mk1 lavatory windows with the two oval or circular peep holes?

Regards

Dan

28ten

Guv'nor
A little more progress, the fascia boards have been cut and fitted - it looks banana shaped but it isn't really...honest :)
IMG_5402.jpg

The problem is/was that I needed access to the interior to fit details and windows, my original intention was to model it in an abandoned and boarded up condition which would have been much easier and quicker, so I made the floor integral with the design. Bad move if you want to fit an interior, so the roof had to be removable until the very final details are added, but what to do about the fascia and gutters? here is the answer ..... they are fitted to the roof section so the whole lot just lifts off. Final fitting will just be a dab of glue and attaching the downpipes.
IMG_5403.jpg