Prototype Deutsche Bahn - Geislingen (Steige)

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
My first encounter with DB was at Köln Zoo of all places. We were stationed in Germany in the late 60's early 70's during the height of the cold war. The first three photos were taken by my dad and here I have been caught clambering all over a Prüßen T3.

No health and safety here.
Köln Zoo 1.jpg

Climbing up the sand dome...
Köln Zoo 2.jpg

..... and finally made it!
Köln Zoo 3.jpg

Around 20 years later I was in Stuttgart.

Br 110
Stuttgart 1.jpg

Br 103Stuttgart 2.jpg

Br 103 Stuttgart 3.jpg

Br 110 Stuttgart 4.jpg

Br 928Stuttgart 5.jpg

Frankfurt am Main - mid 1990's

Baureihen 103, 110, 141 and 111 galore.
Frankfurt am Main 1.jpg

and a Br 01
Frankfurt am Main 4.jpg

More will follow as an when I process them.

Roger Pound

Western Thunderer
A delightful selection - we are in a similar situation of having more pictures to process. I look forward to seeing more of your collection as and when - they remind me of happy days spent watching the DB in action.

Roger.

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
A few more around Frankfurt am Main, Frankfurt (Main) Süd and Hanau. 1990s.

Br 110 - Frankfurt (Main) Süd.
Frankfurt (Main) Süd 1.jpg

Preserved Br 18 (Br 118) with ex DR coaches - Frankfurt (Main) Süd.Frankfurt (Main) Süd 2.jpg

Back to Frankfurt am Main - this Br 110 was travelling at a fair lick over the flyover.Frankfurt am Main 2.jpg

Br 155 in ex DR livery, Br 218 and Br 141. Br 111 on the train in the background - Frankfurt am Main.Frankfurt am Main 3.jpg

Blue Br 181 - Frankfurt am MainFrankfurt am Main 5.jpg

Turquoise and cream Br 181 - Frankfurt am Main Frankfurt am Main 6.jpg

ET 420 - Frankfurt am MainFrankfurt am Main 7.jpg

ET 420s - Frankfurt am MainFrankfurt am Main 8.jpg

Br 155 (ex DR) in neu rot livery - Frankfurt am Main Frankfurt am Main 9.jpg

Br 360 - Frankfurt am Main Frankfurt am Main 11.jpg

And onto Hanau

ET 420 - these carried the Rhein-Main-Verkehrsverbund (RMV) branding of the Frankfurt am Main transport authority seen above the left headlamp.
Hanau 1.jpg

Gliesmesszug wagen - Hanau.Hanau 2.jpg

ET 420 - HanauHanau 3.jpg

Hanau goods yard Hanau 4.jpg

Br 111 is at the head of the train - HanauHanau 5.jpg

allegheny1600

Western Thunderer
Wonderful pics!
I do envy you, Dave - getting up close and personal with that little T3.
I wish I had known DB in late era IV/early era V - it was so very colourful and interesting then. Nowadays DB itself is rather boring but the private operators make a huge difference.
I see that then as well as now, preserved stuff on the mainline was a sight to behold that took you back in time.
Cheers,
John.

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
A bit further south this time, again during the 1990s.

Nürnberg Rangierbahnhof (Nürnberg Rbf).

Br 290
Nürnberg Rangierbahnhof 1.jpg

Br 151. This had just come in and crossed the turntable.
Nürnberg Rangierbahnhof 2.jpg

View from the interior. Nürnberg Rangierbahnhof 3.jpg

Br 151 - this was under repair.
Nürnberg Rangierbahnhof 4.jpg

Br 360 repainted in early DB livery. Nürnberg Rangierbahnhof 5.jpg

Br 360 Nürnberg Rangierbahnhof 6.jpg

Br 290 working the hump. The van on the left has just been pushed over and on it's way to the sorting sidings.
Nürnberg Rangierbahnhof 7.jpg

And finally an appetiser...

ICEs, Br 120 and Br 111 - München Hbf
München 1.jpg

München Hbf - DR Br 01.5 backing onto it's train. On this visit it had just started snowing.
München 2.jpg

And on it's way to Salzburg on a Christmas special.
München 3.jpg

Roger Pound

Western Thunderer
The Nurnberg batch reminded me of watching the yard and hump-shunting at Derendorf, on the outskirts of Dusseldorf. The 290's there did it day in, day out in the late 70's and early 80's until the hump was closed.
Please keep the pictures coming.

Roger

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
One more from Nürnberg Rbf

Nürnberg Rangierbahnhof 8.jpg

Then on to Darmstadt-Kranichstein

Darmstadt-Kranichstein 1.jpg
Darmstadt-Kranichstein 2.jpg

Darmstadt-Kranichstein is the home of the EisenbahnmuseumDarmstadt-Kranichstein Eisenbahnmuseum 1.jpg

And you could get cab rides on the BR44 and a BR55 and ride on and off the turntable. Darmstadt-Kranichstein Eisenbahnmuseum.jpg

In 2000 we were on a steam hauled trip from Nördlingen to Geislingen (Steige) to celebrate 150 years of the Geislingen Steige (incline) and the town also laid on a festival - beer, music, food etc.

This ex-DR BR41 (deputising for the Bayerische S3/6 which had developed a fault the previous day) hauled us from Nördlingen to Ulm where we met the E94 hauled train from München. The trains were joined and we proceeded to Geislingen (Steige) up the incline - and naturally all this was slotted in between the normal services.Geislingen Steige 1.jpg

A steam hauled Pendelzug (shuttle) ran between Amstetten and Geislingen (Steige) - top and tailed with a Baden VI c (BR75) at the front and a BR 64 at the rear. These trains were full as people were also standing on the verandahs.
Geislingen Steige 3.jpg

A small display was in the yard with a few of the locos used on goods trains.

BR 150.
Geislingen Steige 2.jpg

BR 152 (relatively new then). Geislingen Steige 4.jpg

michael080

Western Thunderer
Dave,

the Geislinger Steige is only an hour from my hometown. Every couple of months, if the weather is nice, I visit the place and take pictures.

In 2010, there was another steam gala at the Steige.

IMG_6751_sml.jpg

01 1066 is climbing the Geislinger Steige towards the plateau of the "Schwäbische Alb" on its way from Geislingen to Ulm. There were two steam trains running parallel on both tracks. A nice opportunity for great pictures. A rare opportunity to see a hard working express engine so close.

01 1066 is a class 01.10, built in 1939 with a poor performing boiler. Only after receiving a "Neubaukessel", a much better steaming boiler, did it become one of the best performing engines of the Bundesbahn. 10 of the 55 engines have been preserved.

Michael