Diesel Gives Way To Steam

Joe's Garage

Western Thunderer
I remember seeing a traction engine with a Diesel engine mounted on the boiler at the Knowle Hill Steam Rally in the late 70s. I was told that it was a fairly common thing to do when the TE was unserviceable.

I have to say it was a massive beast with what I think was a very large Diesel engine towering above the already TE. Very strange sight which sticks in my memory. No canopy though.

Julian

Osgood

Western Thunderer
I reckon it could have been SALTY or his mate whose name escapes me - they have McLaren power units and live at Witney:
SALTY.jpeg

There's also another pair with, I believe , early Mercedes / Daimler engines? Note the extended Fordson E27N tractor radiator!
Beeby Bros.jpg

Last edited:

GrahamMc

Western Thunderer
Makes sense with ploughing engines, you can carry on using the frame, wheels and ploughing parts, have the convenience of deisel power but without the expense of building a new machine from scratch. I suppose that's the reason this was done.

JimG

Western Thunderer
I remember seeing a traction engine with a Diesel engine mounted on the boiler at the Knowle Hill Steam Rally in the late 70s. I was told that it was a fairly common thing to do when the TE was unserviceable.

I have to say it was a massive beast with what I think was a very large Diesel engine towering above the already TE. Very strange sight which sticks in my memory. No canopy though.

My late father-in-law was an agricultural engineer working with Bomfords in the Evesham area during and after the war. One of his jobs was to convert the steam ploughing engines to diesel power after the war, there being a ready supply of spare Valentine tank engines for the purpose. I remember seeing several converted engines in their yard near Evesham in the early 60s.

Jim.

Osgood

Western Thunderer
My late father-in-law was an agricultural engineer working with Bomfords in the Evesham area during and after the war. One of his jobs was to convert the steam ploughing engines to diesel power after the war, there being a ready supply of spare Valentine tank engines for the purpose. I remember seeing several converted engines in their yard near Evesham in the early 60s.

Jim.

An atmospheric view from John Evans on Flickr of their yard at Binton station, S&MJR here:

Bomford and Evershed's yard, Binton Station

If you search Flickr for Binton station there are some other good views,.
Also (found a while back on the web but now eluding me) there is somewhere a set of excellent shots, many in b&w, of the derelict engines and equipment. If you like that sort of thing.

Last edited:

Osgood

Western Thunderer
I think it is SALTY that has a Morris Minor engine to start the McLaren engine - doing the same job as an electric starter with Bendix gear:
Starter.jpg

Reactions: AJC

Joe's Garage

Western Thunderer
Lovely picture of the McClaren where was it taken? I have a very vague memory of the actual engine as it was so long ago and of course the infamous CAMRA tent!!!! But it certainly made me look!

I think it is SALTY that has a Morris Minor engine to start the McLaren engine - doing the same job as an electric starter with Bendix gear:
View attachment 147338

Julian

Osgood

Western Thunderer
Lovely picture of the McClaren where was it taken? I have a very vague memory of the actual engine as it was so long ago and of course the infamous CAMRA tent!!!! But it certainly made me look!
Julian
A couple of pictures from the www - the first was from a National Preservation report on a rally at Fawley Hill Railway in 2013. Second unknown.

There was also a pair at Binton at one time with engines mounted lower down in the tender, listed as owned by Bomford & Carr - see
Ploughing Engines

Must say I'd have kittens taking one of those high-mounted engines anywhere other than level firm ground!

I'm not sure Fowler 14379 SALTY and his mate from working days 14380 SALLY do still live together, although both have attended rallies for some years.

Last edited:

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
A couple of pictures from the www - the first was from a National Preservation report on a rally at Fawley Hill Railway in 2013. Second unknown.

There was also a pair at Binton at one time with engines mounted lower down in the tender, listed as owned by Bomford & Carr - see
Ploughing Engines

Must say I'd have kittens taking one of those high-mounted engines anywhere other than level firm ground!

I'm not sure Fowler 14379 SALTY and his mate from working days 14380 SALLY do still live together, although both have attended rallies for some years.
I wonder if the boilers might have had some ballast added to keep the C.O.G. a bit lower for running on uneven ground?

JB.

Ian@StEnochs

Western Thunderer
Would the replacement engine be any heavier than the massive compound cylinder block, associated motion and chimney! These are slow moving ploughing engines which carry a heavy winding drum and 1/4 mile of steel rope under the boiler!

Ian.

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
Would the replacement engine be any heavier than the massive compound cylinder block, associated motion and chimney! These are slow moving ploughing engines which carry a heavy winding drum and 1/4 mile of steel rope under the boiler!

Ian.
Ian,

Don’t think it was the weight itself that had been considered an issue, just where the weight is placed, quite a bit higher than the cylinder block and right over the pivoted axle, however you make a good point about the weigh of the towing line.

JB.