Dikitriki's 'Shits and Giggles' Workbench - 16mm scale

Dikitriki

Flying Squad
Hi,

OK, what do I mean by a 'shits and giggles' workbench. It is a term Steph Dale used to describe my modelling in this respect, and I embrace it wholeheartedly. I take it to mean a fun diversion, not to be taken too seriously, and with only a faint nod to finescale aspirations.

It's come about because I rather like outdoors narrow gauge live steam. My outdoor railway is to 45 mm gauge, Gauge 1, and mostly 1/32, so there is immediately a problem with gauge. I very much like the Ffestiniog Railway and the original NWNGR - all the heritage stock - which at 16mm scale should be 32mm gauge. So I have immediately created a visual problem with the gauge being a whopping 40% out. It shows, and knocks the S7 debate into a cocked hat. The stock is nearly all laser cut wood, and compared to 7mm finescale kits rather crude, so I immediately have to curb my 'detail' urges. How far do I go? I don't know yet, that's part of the journey. With the kits avalable, I shall be mixing periods and liveries, even railways, so that's another cross in the realism box.

But....but, it is great fun to knock something together quickly, and I am looking forward to playing with my only (currently 32mm gauge) live steam narrow gauge loco. Yes, 'shits and giggles' describes it to a 'T'.

First off the mark to explore the waters were some very modestly prices Line Side Hut Ffestiniog slate wagons. (as an aside to the Heyside Group, if ever there was a wagon for Clive to build, this was it) They look odd because of the gauge issue, but I guess over time it will come to be normal to me!

P1010377a.jpg

P1010376a.jpg

The axles are intended to run in MDF axleboxes, with no bearings, but given the amount of running they will do and the length of the circuit, I thought this a bad idea and added Slater's 1/8" top hat bearings. Quite how long the (glass reinforced?) wheels will last is anyone's guess. I haven't put any couplings on yet, but I gather a bent bit of wire and loose 3 links are de rigeur.

Richard

simond

Western Thunderer
I had quite a collection of 16mm scale 32mm gauge stock and thoroughly enjoyed it - our previous house had a substantially level garden and I simply cantilevered the baseboards off the brick garden wall - sadly, the house was rented and the landlord's son wanted in, so we moved out. The current (23 years and counting) garden is more precipitous, and so the whole lot was sold some 14 years back. Some stock had finescale pretentions, some more "freely interpreted". All this is largely irrelevant.

The point is, it was HUGE fun. Enjoy.

Dikitriki

Flying Squad
Hi,

Moving a touch upmarket, I'm doing a couple of bug boxes, again from Line Side Hut. The kit allows for slight variations in the fenestration department with the smaller 'windows' being clear or boarded as one chooses. The only departure from the instructions was to cut a couple of radiused stretchers for the top ends so I could have something solid to glue the bowed ends to.

P1010385a.jpg

P1010386a.jpg

P1010387a.jpg

I am painting the sides before gluing them to the model as a final operation.

Now comes the balls-up and recovery! I didn't twig at the time, but because the wheels are totally contained within the longitudinal seating, the kit only caters for 32mm wheels, and I had happily built the bodies before checking the wheels fitted. Of course, they didn't, by some margin!

There were many naughtly words, but I eventually worked out it was possible to sort it.

The 32mm wheels were meant to run in outside bearings glued into the well. Since none of this was visible due to the very low ground clearance, I worked out I could run the axles in inside bearings, immediately giving me another 8mm per axle room. If I then carved out 2 of the 3 layers of ply where the wheels ran in the well, I had about 1/2mm clearance either side.

Nearside carved out showing the extra clearance, and the location of the inside bearing tab is marked out.

P1010378a.jpg

The dark areas in the carved out section is where the laser has burnt through the detail on the inside of the coach.

P1010379a.jpg

P1010380a.jpg

All sorted, with minimum sideplay in the bearings, and disaster averted!

P1010384a.jpg

Richard

isambardme

Western Thunderer
Hi,

OK, what do I mean by a 'shits and giggles' workbench. It is a term Steph Dale used to describe my modelling in this respect, and I embrace it wholeheartedly. I take it to mean a fun diversion, not to be taken too seriously, and with only a faint nod to finescale aspirations.

It's come about because I rather like outdoors narrow gauge live steam. My outdoor railway is to 45 mm gauge, Gauge 1, and mostly 1/32, so there is immediately a problem with gauge. I very much like the Ffestiniog Railway and the original NWNGR - all the heritage stock - which at 16mm scale should be 32mm gauge. So I have immediately created a visual problem with the gauge being a whopping 40% out. It shows, and knocks the S7 debate into a cocked hat. The stock is nearly all laser cut wood, and compared to 7mm finescale kits rather crude, so I immediately have to curb my 'detail' urges. How far do I go? I don't know yet, that's part of the journey. With the kits avalable, I shall be mixing periods and liveries, even railways, so that's another cross in the realism box.

But....but, it is great fun to knock something together quickly, and I am looking forward to playing with my only (currently 32mm gauge) live steam narrow gauge loco. Yes, 'shits and giggles' describes it to a 'T'.

First off the mark to explore the waters were some very modestly prices Line Side Hut Ffestiniog slate wagons. (as an aside to the Heyside Group, if ever there was a wagon for Clive to build, this was it) They look odd because of the gauge issue, but I guess over time it will come to be normal to me!

View attachment 139335

View attachment 139334

The axles are intended to run in MDF axleboxes, with no bearings, but given the amount of running they will do and the length of the circuit, I thought this a bad idea and added Slater's 1/8" top hat bearings. Quite how long the (glass reinforced?) wheels will last is anyone's guess. I haven't put any couplings on yet, but I gather a bent bit of wire and loose 3 links are de rigeur.

Richard

I look forward to Richard adding the 'bent wire & 3 link' couplings and perhaps some sheet lead underneath, then running these on his garden line. Painting won't take long, possibly assisted by wood sealer & rattle can primer etc.
I alerted him to another possible 16mm Festiniog loco on fleabay & am pleased that he has won it. We all think 16mm in the garden looks great ! Steve

isambardme

Western Thunderer
I look forward to Richard adding the 'bent wire & 3 link' couplings and perhaps some sheet lead underneath, then running these on his garden line. Painting won't take long, possibly assisted by wood sealer & rattle can primer etc.
I alerted him to another possible 16mm Festiniog loco on fleabay & am pleased that he has won it. We all think 16mm in the garden looks great ! Steve

By the way, if anyone wants to see our 16mm locos & stock (so far ) running on Richard's garden line, including Richard's 'Beddegelert', look at 'Garden Pipedream' around page 20.
Steve

Dikitriki

Flying Squad
Hi,

The latest diversion is a couple of type 2b Ffestiniog quarrymen's coaches from Wood Valley Works.

For the grand sum of £27, you get a complete kit, including wheels, bearings, oval carriage number plate and 3D printed strapping, all beautifully presented.

P1010392a.jpg

P1010393a.jpg

P1010394a.jpg
The parts are very accurately cut, and need minimal tab cleaning.

The wheels are inside bearing, so the chassis is a doddle:

P1010395a.jpg
Then the 2 sides followed by the 2 ends.

P1010396a.jpg

P1010397a.jpg

P1010400a.jpg

P1010401a.jpg
I have added the seat supports and a couple of coats of stain.

There's no planking shown on the inside of the coach, but you are not going to notice that through the tiny windows!

Richard

Dikitriki

Flying Squad
Hi,

Roof next. It's heavily scored on the inside to assist in forming it, but it is meant to be glued to the sides and ends on completion.

I don't like this approach so decided to make the roof removable, which turned out to be easier than I expected. I steamed the underside of the roof - not too much as I didn't think steam and mdf made good bedfellows - and then taped it to the body to dry out. This is easy to locate as there is a tab on the top of the sides that engages in a half-etched? half-lasered? slot in the roof. Nice. I left it for half a day, and it was pretty close to the final shape when released. I cut 2 formers using the ends as a guide and glued these to the roof to be a slight interference fit.

P1010398a.jpg

P1010399a.jpg

P1010402a.jpg

The seats are primitive - it must have been cramped and dark in those coaches!

P1010404a.jpg

P1010405a.jpg

... and I released the 3D printed strapping from the backing plate with a sharp knife. This is before tidying up.

P1010403a.jpg

Richard

isambardme

Western Thunderer
Hi,

Roof next. It's heavily scored on the inside to assist in forming it, but it is meant to be glued to the sides and ends on completion.

I don't like this approach so decided to make the roof removable, which turned out to be easier than I expected. I steamed the underside of the roof - not too much as I didn't think steam and mdf made good bedfellows - and then taped it to the body to dry out. This is easy to locate as there is a tab on the top of the sides that engages in a half-etched? half-lasered? slot in the roof. Nice. I left it for half a day, and it was pretty close to the final shape when released. I cut 2 formers using the ends as a guide and glued these to the roof to be a slight interference fit.

View attachment 142660

View attachment 142661

View attachment 142662

The seats are primitive - it must have been cramped and dark in those coaches!

View attachment 142664

View attachment 142665

... and I released the 3D printed strapping from the backing plate with a sharp knife. This is before tidying up.

View attachment 142663

Richard

I think the seats & floor would have been pretty dark & dirty from the quarrymen's use. Not much better than a cattle truck for people !
Steve