Drakelow. An inglenook in S

IanB3174

Thought I'd share some of the progress I've made on a S scale layout I've been building.
It's built on an old IKEA shelf 1200x300 topped with foamboard on which the track has been built in situ.
I have some kits and bits but only a couple of items of rolling stock are at the disposal of the track gang. One is an S Society 7 plank and and scratchbuilt chassis of CCT dimensions.
Nothing fancy in terms of track construction, society ply sleepers and chairs with Code 82BH though parts have 4mm chairs with Code 75 BH.
As you can see it's very much a work in progress and I'm learning as I go. IMG_1469.jpg

IanB3174

Hi Ian any more on this project
I'm slowly building stuff. I've started on a couple of wagon kits recently but I'm waiting for wheels and other goodies from the society stores. In the meantime I've made myself a multigauge test plank (photos soon) I think there's 7 gauges in total (lost count), one for every gauge of interest in 1/64. The next project will be a small coach, and some buildings.

IanB3174

I've also just realised I hadn't made the switchblades for the turnout nearest the camera...something else to take my time over

IanB3174

IMG_1899.jpg I was going to beautify the test track before posting but as that may take a while I'll just explain it here and now. A 450mm long piece of 12mm ply and copperclad sleepers make up the lower layers.
Starting from the top with common rail 1. The first track is 9.42mm gauge to represent 2ft (610MM), then 14.2mm for 3ft gauge (914mm), Then Standard S and finally 33.43mm (2140mm) for GWR broad gauge (a long shot but I like the old stuff).
Then the 6th rail is Common rail 2. First up is 12mm to represent 2'6" (762mm), then a bit of a compromise, 16.2mm to represent both 3'6'' and metre gauge (one being 16.67mm and the other 15.62mm in 1/64) so it's sort of bang between the two. It opens up a great deal of mechanisms and such like so I'll overlook those small inaccuracies.
Check rails have been added at 0.71mm flangeways. The idea is that I will use S scale wheel profiles in all gauges. Them's the rules. Yes, the soldering is awful but I'm out of practice.
1/64 lends itself to all these gauges without being unnecessarily huge or small, which is nice.

IanB3174

It's been all a bit on the backburner this year with illness, work and a rejig of my cellar/office/layout space. Some projects delayed due to the image issue on another forum which has delayed a loco build and lots of other visual resources I was using.
The biggest issue with this particular venture is the shelf it's built on has started to warp, after several years of not warping without a layout on it. So this configuration may have to be rebuilt on a proper board. Still intend to model in S but currently I'm helping a friend with a 00-SF layout idea by building some track and turnouts. That's where the majority of my modelling time is tight now.