East Anglian Railway Archive

Buckjumper

Flying Squad
As a bit of light relief from all this heavy hydraulic stuff is the re-emergence of Alan Moore's photo archive from the ashes of Fotopic. He had some 1700 images on the old site, and has uploaded a preview of what's to come. The photos of abandoned lines are always interesting, but I particularly like the Rev. Alistair Sandeman collection, especially the couple of shots of the 350HP shunters easing over the ungated crossing to the Co-operative Coal Depot at Braintree here and here which, believe it or not, is actually on the main station approach road, within a stone's throw of the station itself. One can imagine the instant palpitations, sweaty brows and nervous tics of the present-day H&S wallahs if you passed this before their eyes, especially in light of the close proximity of the kids. I've got a fabulous Frank Church b&w of an ancient F5 on this crossing in 1948 which like these two colour shots are full of inspiration and utterly modellogenic.

In contrast here's the view today - depressingly saccharine and non-inspirational, despite the survival of the 1865 station building.

S

Simon Dunkley

Cool site: thanks Adrian - those pictures of shunting across the road help with ideas I have going through my head, all of which involve something like that.
Far from uncommon, in days gone by - such sidings were probably only shunted once or twice a day, so the loco pops in, draws out the wagons, sorts out the empties, etc, elsewhere, adds new loads, and shoves 'em back. Where's the need for an H&S assessment here? I mean, you hit a train, you come off worse: end of story. It's not like they are small and hard to see, is it? Moral: don't be stupid, and you will live longer!