Easton Mill

Joe's Garage

Western Thunderer
Sorry fellow WTs to go on about mills but the east was not the only place, here in Somerset there is the delightful Hambridge Mill, near Westport. Four stories high, wooden and stone construction and there is a bell in the top? Some lovely pictures on the Internet.
Julian

Easterner

Western Thunderer
Evening All,

Thanks for all your previous comments - In regards to the mill style building I'm basing this one around the building at Swaffham Station but your pictures are much appreciated as they all add to the ideas.

Having finally got the automated traverser to a point where I'm very happy with it's operation finally - A bit of an update for you in regards to progress on the rest of the layout.

I've recently kit bashed an old NMRS Crane Wagon into a yard crane based loosely on a photo I found of a similar one in the area. In addition to this a small coal scales has been built from a Duncan Models kit along with a 5 bar gate. As you can see some more progress on the buildings has also taken place.

I've decided to progress the substructures for the loading platform and Goods shed from good quality 2mm card. Having finalised the design of the goods shed based loosely around the one at Holt, I've started with the plasticard! I bizarrely started with the roof first which is now mainly complete with exception to the bargeboards - The tiled effect has been achieved by Intentio Slates, a rather time consuming job sticking them on row by row but a rather satisfying outcome.

I've also been landscaping a few more areas (To the right of the goods shed) and in between the loop and Mill. Leaving only the area around the water tower and left of the mill/granary to finish.

And finally I've also painted the front of the baseboards in a light grey and painted on the layout name.

Next job is to complete the substructure underneath the loading area, figure out how to finish the top whether it be a fine ballast or some sort of Das clay? Any ideas? And then also finish the goods shed. I'll then look to progress on the water tower which will allow me to get the last bits of polystyrene carving out of the way and on with plastering which then in theory should allow me to start some grass work.....!

20220612_202204.jpg

20220612_202151.jpg

20220612_202142.jpg

20220430_205442.jpg

Easterner

Western Thunderer
Another small update.

With some help from Tony ( @Osgood ) I've been able to source a drawing of the water tower at Aylsham South.

The past few weeks has seen the construction start of this which has allowed me to complete the final landscaping towards the back of the layout.

I've got the water tower to a point where I'm happy with it so it's now relieved it's base coat of Red Oxide primer which will form the base coat for the brick work. The Eagle eyed of you will notice the same has been applied to the raised loading area.

Hopefully in the next few weeks I'll get the brick work finish completed which will then allow the final securing of the loading area and then allow me to complete the ballasting in this area.

Anyway a couple of pictures to show the progress and other life distractions!

20220705_184518.jpg
Initially taking shape

20220708_225349.jpg

20220708_225349.jpg
As it currently stands

20220707_161201.jpg
Another 1 of several driving turns

IMG-20220704-WA0042.jpg
And a trip down to London