7mm Ebbw Vale North Inlet

SimonT

Western Thunderer
I have just looked and found that it is a year since I posted anything on my layout building. There has been progress on Holme Wotsit and I shall detail such progress on that layout thread. This thread is going to be about my replacement of my layout of a life time, Aberbeeg. It was ambitious and big, needing a 7T truck to get it to and fro from shows and occupied ten years of my life while I built everything. After our move to Wales I couldn't build a suitable sized shed to hold it (12m x 5m) and so everything of further use was salvaged and the remainder recycled.

While contemplating what I wanted to do I made a start on Holme Thingy but to be honest, my heart isn't really into the Edwardian mini idyl; I really like railways that do things, preferably with the minimum of interference from coaches. The publication of the second part of John Hodge's History of the Western Valley (The valley up to Ebbw Vale) gave a huge amount of information about the traffic into and out of the works. Now the works was about 3 miles long but there were some useable chunks that might become a layout. I was particularly taken by North Inlet just short of Ebbw Vale Low Level. What looks to be double track is in fact a bi-directional passenger line and a bi-directional freight line. There was a kick back line into the works from the freight line. An iron ore train, for example, would stop with the brake van and banker just short on the kick back and the van would be uncoupled from the train. The train would pull forward and than set back into the works. Once inside the banker, if a heavy freight loco, would pull forward past the kick back and then go into the works with the van to take out the first down train (GW naming practice - down as in down the hill, forget about London!). If the bankers were a pair of 94XX, they might go back down to Aberbeeg using the freight line or cross over to go down the passenger line.

As mentioned earlier, half a mile further up the hill is Ebbw Vale Low Level station where the freight line/passenger line business gets complicated as passenger engines ran around the train using some crossovers and the freight line. There is also a small yard to shunt and if I had a bit more length there is the passenger line continuing up the valley to High Level station and Beaufort.

Now what would happen if North Entry was opposite the station platform? Loads of operation and movement. So there the followed a period of scruffy sketches and then a bit of CAD. My new shed is 9m x 3m, so the lead restriction was the size of the fiddle yard and thus the train length. This then dictated where things like turnouts and crossovers sat to try and get the longest train. I then had a bit of luck when I found Network Rail had a copy of the architects drawings for the new station building built in the thirties. It even had a ground plan of the whole site to trace and as a result the curve matches the ral thing.

Enough words, time for some pictures.
EVNE Track Plan.jpg
The scenic portion is 6m of the shed
EVNE1a.jpg
The layout sits on some supporting legs and a shelf built into the shed; I have no intention of taking this one out to shows. The top surface of the boards rises a 1:80 like the real thing although I later found out that it is actually 1:55!
EVNE2a.jpg
The fiddle yard uses cassettes and obviously serves as a very useful dumping ground. The signal box was built for me by Peter Kibble and was the junction box at Aberbeeg. It is far too massive for EVNE but I keep on thinking of excuses to have it on the train set.

EVNE3a.jpg
The whole layout was designed full sized in CAD including the track. The GWR track book by David Smith gives all the information required to build authentic GW track. I spent a lot of time looking at old black and white photos to get the sleepering correct. At some time there was some track replacement here as all the crossovers seem to make extensive use of block work.
EVNE5a.jpg
Railway Cottages have made the move from Aberbeeg. The ground levels are interesting around here. The track bed climbs while the retaining wall descends and the cottages are built on a slope that climbs into the corner! The goods shed is from Holme Woteva and is way too small for here. As far as I know, there is only one photo taken of the goods shed and that is from a bridge near the platforms. So not a lot to go on!

There has been a lot more progress since this last photo was taken and I will gradually update this thread.

Can I wish you all a brilliant Christmas and good health into 2022. May you get the modelling presents you hope for (even RTR;)); I've got some oil paints to try weathering with. Stay safe from Ohmygodicon or Putin's invasion of the Ukraine.

Simon

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Your photos suggest some neat and tidy work on baseboards, how about a description of what you have done, material sizes and maybe a photo or three? The plan suggests that there are to be fiddle yards at each end of the scenic section, or is the RH yard to be in the great outdoors?

regards, Graham

SimonT

Western Thunderer
Graham,
I took no photos of the baseboard build as I was covered in PVA and sawdust. It's BA grade 9mm birch ply with 12mm square machined 'pine' for the corners. Very simple box with two ribs for each board. Held together with pattern makers dowels and 6mm bolts.

Unfortuantely there is no room at the inn for a FY at the Beaufort end.

David,
thank you. I may be some time;).

Simon

SimonT

Western Thunderer
Richard,
target of circa 1960. So tatty steam engines, a few green diesels and a pristine 72XX as I have a photo of one passing Aber in ex-works condition - very shiney. Mixture of freight stock. The iron ore stock was a complete mixture of types which will take some time to achieve.

Simon

Compton castle

Western Thunderer
Sounds fantastic Simon, will be watching with excitement, double 9F’s on the iron ore’s ?
The steel works had a regular flow of oil as well

richard carr

Western Thunderer
That sounds really good Simon although I'm not really a GW fan, but I do like the 72XX tanks, I'm hoping that masterpiece will do one as I'm unlikely to ever build one.

Richard

SimonT

Western Thunderer
Thank you Chaps.

The iron ores were worked with one on the front and one on the back behind the guards van. The made it easier to pick up the next down train from the works. If there was nothing to go down, the trains went down the hill double loco and van, tender first. This meant that the train loco had to run around the banker and van in the works. I am tempted by another MOK 9F in the guise of 92250 but it is at the back of my loco queue.

Ahead of another 9F will be a 72. I have a NLTRT 72 which is started but won't get finished. This is because I started on a process of improving one of my David Andrew 42s and once you've done the work on a 42 you have most of a 72. The tale of the 42 will appear here in due course. The 42 is held pre-paint while I try to do the one job I hate - the smokebox handrails. Attempt number three begins when the Wasjig is cleared from the dinning room table and loco building recommences.

Happy New Year to one and all. May you stay safe and achieve your dreams.

Simon

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
while I try to do the one job I hate - the smokebox handrails.

Not wishing to teach an old dog to suck eggs, I never found smokebox handrails that hard.

My trick was to make the handrails in halves, joined in the top centre handrail knob. That way you can form the bottom right-angle curves where you like, then spring the handrail up and over as a quadrant, just bending in your fingers. Repeat for the other side in mirror form. Get them to meet in the top handrail knob, tweak as required so they look like a single piece of metal, and fix in place with a dab of solder paste and a hot iron. :thumbs:

SimonT

Western Thunderer
Heather,
what a good idea! I currently make the joint on either side at the first horizontal knob on the smokebox as recommended by some sage ages ago. I'll give it a try.
Simon

paratom

Western Thunderer
What a good idea I had never thought of that. I’ve often thought how you thread the front handrail knob onto the wire once you had got the shape of the wire unless you do it having already threaded it onto the wire.