7mm Ebbw Vale North Entry

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Twentieth century builds at Swindon had joints in the handrails along the sides of the smokebox. The section over the smokebox door runs along each side of the smokebox to the first handrail knob where there is a joint between the tube of the handrail and a circular bar running through the handrail knob - all held together with 1/4" taper pins.

regards, Graham

SimonT

Western Thunderer
Well the foams and UHU eventually arrived; the local sorting office had 14 delivery staff off due to Covid and around here the Royal Mail deliver for Parcel Force. I have tried both materials and techniques on a couple of small test pieces.

First up was the Depron a soft foam used by aeromodellers to make light weight airframes. Firstly it cuts easliy. I tried scribing some typical Welsh stone work, a look out of the window provides inspiration in the form of the kitchen wall. I tried a variety of tools, including one's recommended on web sites extolling the use of this material. To be brief I did not get on with Depron althought there others who obviously relish working with it.
DSC03370.JPG
I will try out it's curving properties as a method of making the lie of the land. Otherwise it's not for me.

Now for Foamex. It is is a denser and more rigid material than the Depron. It cuts and carves well. The UHU Por works well if used as a contact adhesive applied to both mating faces and allowed to partially harden; it has great grab. The test piece.
DSC03371.JPG
The scribing was done with my metal work scriber and then with a modified dental tool that was ground the give a wider mortar course. Distressing with 180 grit Abranet works well. However, it still remains what it is - a flat sheet material. To see if I can get away with a minimum amount of carving, I gave the test piece an attack with the artists acrylics.
DSC03372.JPG

This photo was taken before flooding in a lighter mortar colour. The wall is at the back of the layout and the test piece is in place on it for consideration.
I will need to build three buildings that were brick, so I next started another test piece to try scribing GW style brickwork.
DSC03374.JPG
To be honest, I will not be scribing the brickwork! It is such a boring activity that me brain soars away to far more interesting places and as a result the scribing is a wasted activity. I have instead glued a couple of pieces of South East Finecast brick sheet at the corner and yes, I know it's the wrong bond. I can just get away with my 3D printed windows and doors that push into the wall from the inside as the combined thickness of the Foamex and brick sheet is 3.6mm, just 0.1mm too thick. I won't tell if you won't.

I have already started on the platform and will report back in due course.

Simon

SimonT

Western Thunderer
Well Folks, it's been a while, as was pointed out by a couple of WTers at Fred Fest. So here goes a little more of the EVNE story - it is definately not a journey as EVNE is staying in the same place!
Starter for ten.
EVNE9.JPG
I had two options in mind for the signal box. First a place holder for a small platform mounted box. The real Ebbw Vale Low Level (EVLL from now on or there will be more taping mistoks) had a different, taller design.
EVNE10.JPG
The alternative is to reuse the marvelous box from Aberbeeg built by Peter Kibble. To the left will be the road bridges and in front the platform and station building all close to the bridges. Much as I wanted to use Rule 1 to justify this scene I knew that less would be more and this box is far too big. The box is now on a shelf in a bookcase behind my desk.
EVNE11.JPG
A first look at the goods yard. The goods shed is a foamboard mock-up of a 'typical' small country shed. I think it is too small to do the view blocker job and the job of making you want to look into the corner scene. The small brick shed has been on a load of my previous trainsets.EVNE12.JPG
A typical move at EVNE. The loaded coal was in the mileage siding by the wall. The 37 arrived with the Coil train and set it back into the inlet, came out and put the van at the top (right) and then positioned for the outbound coals. The pilot set back onto the coils and then onto the coals. The coal is now being set back onto the van and in due course the pilot and coils will disappear into the works. Something like 24 wagons moving at the limit of the 3.7v battery in the 08!
EVNE13.JPG
Finally the fiddle yard with the cassettes with my home brewed aligning blocks.

Next time, scenary and new plastic materials.
Stay safe and happy!
Simon

Overseer

Western Thunderer
The dragon looks a bit disappointed, maybe he thought you had Ebbw Vale Intermediate Level planned.

Peter’s long signal box looks like it fits in well with the length of the layout, suggesting it’s part of a larger location or somewhere the track has been rationalised. A small box might look twee.

SimonT

Western Thunderer
Fraser,
The dragon is mournng for the rocks he used to stand on.
As will become evident in a future post, the chosen platform box is about twice the size of the place holder and is a model of the one at Ebbw Vale Low Level. Because the site is squeezed between the retaining wall and the river there is no room for any track to have rationalised. The Aberbeeg box is huge and will form a diarama with some track from Aber for me to display stuff on. My inner rebel did put up a fight for going down the Rule 1 path and to start wearing a beret.

SimonT

Western Thunderer
Thanks Richard. I still have two, the split headcode in blue and centre box one repainted into green for the early '60s approach. This has the authentic yellow hand painted warning panels, done without masking to match the photo of it in the early 60's.