Emco Unimat - photos

Discussion in 'Resources' started by Dog Star, 10 March 2016.

1. Dog Star

Dog Star Western Thunderer

I have been given an Emco Unimat that I believe to be of the mk.2B type... just the lathe and tools, no manual.

I feel that sight of a relevant manual may be a good thing before using the lathe, anyone able to lend me a copy?

I am in no rush to use the machine - there are no drive belts! Your nominations, please, for recommended stockists of spares for this lathe.

thank you, Graham

2. phileakins

phileakins Western Thunderer

Hi Graham

I've got one - with a manual which I can scan.

Regards.

Phil

PS Look on ebay under Unimat - loads of suppliers, it's a very popular machine. You were lucky to be given one - they go for £200 +

3. daifly

daifly Western Thunderer

Hi Graham
    I have an Emco Unimat 4 and have an e-manual if it helps. Not sure what mk.2B model you have!
    Dave

4. daifly

daifly Western Thunderer

Crossed with Phil! Take your pick!
    Dave

5. Dog Star

Guys... a "history" of Emco Unimats can be found here . My reading of the text is that the lathe is a mk.2B because...

1/ the bed is cast iron rather than mazak;
    2/ the top surface of the bed is concave rather than convex;
    3/ the headstock / bed are machined for the alignment button (the button is absent!).

If I am close then the lathe on the folding table was made about 1955-60. The general condition suggests that the tool have not been used in earnest and I cannot detect any slack in the headstock bearings.

Dave, thank you, please send to me via the S7 Ordinary e-mail contact address - if the content is not appropriate then I shall be knocking on the door Phil (BTW, which model do you have?)

thanks, Graham

6. daifly

daifly Western Thunderer

Hi Graham

Not sure how much use it will be but it's in your mailbox!

Cheers

Dave

7. ceejaydee

ceejaydee Western Thunderer

Useful little machine... a nice gift :)

8. Ian G

Ian G Western Thunderer

Dog Star likes this.
  9. Dog Star

Unimat 1... 2... 3... 4... the "history" website noted earlier helps to identify the different versions of the lathe, too much to hope that the history notes what parts / spares fit which models. For example:- lots of stuff for Unimat 3 on ebay, what might be compatible with the Unimat DS/SL mk.2 models? (Or maybe, what Unimat 3 spares are not suitable for earlier models)

Yes.

Last edited: 11 March 2016
  10. Overseer

Overseer Western Thunderer

Very little, if anything, is common between the Unimat 3 and earlier models. The Unimat 3 has M14 x 1 thread in the chucks while the SL has M12 x 1 threads. The tool holder heights are also different. I don't know about the pre SL models. Sherline sell suitable small 3 and 4 jaw chucks with M12 x 1 threads and some of their other accessories might be usable.

Last edited: 11 March 2016
    Dog Star likes this.
  11. lankytank

lankytank Western Thunderer

Another source for 'odds & s*ds' is RDG Tools in Mytholmroyd........... they have a web presence at www.rdgtools.co.uk

No connection with them apart from, I've spent money with them.

Baz

simond likes this.
  12. phileakins

I have the original Elliot badged SL which I bought new when I lived in High Wycombe - I'll leave you to work out how long ago that was Graham.

I've bought tools and accessories from RDG and have had excellent service. The have an e-bay shop; one thing to look out for is a widget with a 12mm internal thread and a 14mm external thread so that you can mount the later chucks on the earlier machine - they tend to be a little cheaper.

Assuming that it is an SL/DB (which was the American version) do you also have the post to turn the machine into a vertical mill/drill?

Phil

Dog Star likes this.
  13. Dog Star

Your secret is safe over here... only you, me and my son know the answer!
    I do not have the post... nor the alignment disc... nor the bars for tightening / loosening the 3-jaw on the mandrel - hence my reason for asking about a manual, ought to give me some indication as to what is missing.

I shall try to take and post a photo.

14. phileakins

I'll see your picture and increase with one of mine. :)

Sorry I don't know what you mean by the alignment disc. The bars are pretty straightforward - a blunted 4" nail will do and the missing alignment peg is easy with an appropriate nail (you can even turn one down!).

I'll wait until you've posted the picture just in case we are talking at cross purposes.

Phil

PS Please don't tell my wife how long ago it was - I've lied about my age!

Dog Star likes this.
  15. Ian G

Ian G Western Thunderer

Phil

Was that when the cinema was in Frogmoor, and oceans was above the bus station?

Ian G

16. Dog Star

I think somewhat earlier when there were two cinemas in Frogmoor... and another up towards the station... and another along Desborough Road...

Ian G likes this.
  17. Wagonman

Wagonman Western Thunderer

That really is getting into ancient history...

Dog Star likes this.
  18. Dog Star

Heh young snapper, I am not that old.

19. phileakins

'Fraid so.

Ian G likes this.
  20. Dog Star

And was the chocolate factory still there?