Website EMgauge70s - October comes early

Discussion in 'Resources' started by AJC, 4 August 2015.

Tags:
  1. AJC

AJC Western Thunderer

2. 40126

40126 Western Thunderer

Brilliant as usual, Adam

Steve :cool:

3. Osgood

Osgood Western Thunderer

It certainly is!

In case anyone is wondering how the Michigan - which has an unconventional lift arm geometry - has been adapted for shunting, it is fairly simple: the bucket has been removed and a buffing beam attached high up on the front frame.
    Here's a 125A which we had from new for the best part of 30 years showing how the linkage works. If only you could keep everything :rolleyes:

Michigan 125A.jpg

Chicago O'Hare airport still has a fair few of these by now ancient 125As and some larger 180s in their snow clearing fleet.

Last edited: 5 August 2015
    Dog Star and AJC like this.
  4. AJC

AJC Western Thunderer

Nice! The re-cabbed Matador - is that a tipper body? - is extremely funky too.

Adam

5. Osgood

Osgood Western Thunderer

Yes, a tipper. Only the radiator badge survives. There were 4, all with different cabs! This one (origin unknown), a standard military cab, a civvy AEC cab and another civvy cab ex Douglas timber tractor. There was a 6 wheel refuelling tanker chassis-cab for spares too.

The 125As like that above assembled in the UK (I believe at AWD Camberley?) had a Leyland 600 and masses of torque at the wheels, so I guess would be capable of pushing a very respectable freight trainload! Quite possibly the equivalent of a 20T Fowler 0-4-0 shunter, given similar power unit, 1/2 the weight but plenty of rubber for traction?

Was the model inspired by the use of a Michigan in real life as a rail shunter?

Last edited: 5 August 2015
  6. AJC

AJC Western Thunderer

No idea - it's a question for Hywel who built it. It's certainly a step up from the usual Fordson Major based units, or even the County 4wd version that used to live at Longsight. What industry were the Matadors employed in? Can't quite make it out.

Adam

7. Osgood

Osgood Western Thunderer

Chalk. Plenty of punctures from the flint!

True claret likes this.
  8. Ressaldar

Ressaldar Western Thunderer

Hi Osgood,

correct, in an ex US Navy hanger on Blackbushe Airport (scene of last weeks crash onto the BCA carpark) we used to live in Yateley, backing onto the airfield.

cheers

Mike

Osgood likes this.
  9. 40126

40126 Western Thunderer

Hi Adam

Is there a Sept update yet ?

10. AJC

AJC Western Thunderer

Nothing to do with me Steve! I dare say an update will be along when it's along.

Adam

40126 likes this.
  11. Kier Hardy

Kier Hardy Active Member

With holidays and other things associated with this time of year, there's not much to report from the offices of emgauge70s this month, and not helped by the collapse of my usual FTP client. All seemed to be working fine until it asked me to update, and that's the usual kiss of death!!!

So..... the combined shortage of updates, and the lack of a decent FTP (I have tried uploading a new one, but that just introduced additional niggles and sub-problems which I didn't want on my 'puter), there's not a lot to report for September 2015.

Of course all this pails into insignificance, considering the preparations for getting Hornsey Broadway ready for its first outing on the 19th & 20th of September at Shipley, West Yorkshire (operational but still work in progress). There are no other planned outings until May 2018 for the layout, when hopefully it will be finished in time for Railex at Aylesbury.

Kier

12. adrian

adrian Flying Squad

That's particularly fine collection of layouts - I'll have to see if I can get a day pass to visit and get my monthly fix.
    http://www.shipleymrs.org.uk/exhibition15.php

13. ZiderHead

ZiderHead Western Thunderer

Hi Kier

I like NCH's Classic FTP on Windoze, and Transmit on Mac :)

14. 40126

40126 Western Thunderer

Just need an update fix, of this superb modelling :oops:

15. oldravendale

oldravendale Western Thunderer

Oh yes!!! I'm looking forward to that. All the photos I've seen are amazing and I want to see it in the flesh. I will be at Railex 2018 but that's an awful long time to wait. (Always assuming I've not completed all my outstanding kits by then - see earlier posting to reference this.)

Brian

Last edited by a moderator: 13 September 2015
  16. AJC

AJC Western Thunderer

17. Dan Randall

Dan Randall Western Thunderer

As usual, superb modelling and lashings of inspiration! Well done chaps. :thumbs:

Regards

Dan

40126 likes this.
  18. 40126

40126 Western Thunderer

Amazing as usual, Just spent the last 45 mins looking over, then back, etc etc. :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

19. iak63

iak63 Western Thunderer

Roll on next week.
    The Wigan show beckons!
    WIBBLE!

20. MartinWales

MartinWales Western Thunderer

Indeed! Can't wait!