Even smaller o scale layouts...

Discussion in 'Layout Progress' started by Jordan, 19 February 2010.

Tags:
  1. Jordan

Jordan Mid-Western Thunderer

Withyn Reach, in another thread I've posted, is considered a very small O scale layout at 6ft x 1ft scenic section plus 4ft fiddleyard, but I have even smaller O scale layouts..

Lyddlow Goods

Lyddlow Goods is a whopping 5 feet long in total.

It's called "Lyddlow" as it's a "Little O" layout... geddit?!? Yes, it's terrible isn't it :p :oops:
    It is just two short tracks serving a warehouse and loading platform- there are no points, it is served by a simple 'cassette'.
    SDC10409.jpg

SDC10412.jpg

Someone has found a spare corner of the yard useful as a dumping ground :( ...
    Observant viewers will notice the "moggy on a Moggy"... ;)
    SDC10410.jpg

The view from the gateway into the yard is quite impressive, for such a small layout, I think...
    SDC10414.jpg

Finally, I was going to do one of those "gratuitous Silly pics" with a 57ft US Reefer at the platform. The good old British loading gauge defeated me however; there wasn't enough clearance... :mad:
    SDC10416.jpg

...so I had to make do with this as the "silly pic"; D6320 fills up the yard...
    SDC10419.jpg

Okay it's not going to take any Westerns with ten on, but it provides a very relaxing half-hour or so of gentle shunting, shuffling a few wagons around, and is quick to set up.
    It also has more road space on it than Withyn Reach, so is proving very popular with my lad, although his ideas of what looks realistic have yet to be 'fine-tuned'... :shock: :lol:

05-02-10_155908.jpg

Unfortunately his grasp of "realism" is a bit different to mine...

05-02-10_160034.jpg

My attempts to run US stock failed... he's managed it though...(sort of...)!!

05-02-10_160145.jpg

BrushType4, Deano747, pricei and 2 others like this.
  2. Jordan

As small as Withyn and Lyddlow are, they aren't the smallest O scale layout I have, oh no!

Un-named Boxfile Layout

There's been something of a trend in the world of Micro-layouts to build them in standard A4-size Boxfiles. Someone rather foolishly suggested that they didn't think it could be done in O scale...

Well, just for a bit of fun, I then did this:-
    two bits of old Lima O setrack in a boxfile...
    Boxfile... 003.jpg

Try British O for size....
    Boxfile... 002.jpg

Try American O for size...!!!
    Boxfile... 001.jpg

Eventually scenic it as a UK scrapyard-ish sort of place, with the lid finished as a loading bank...
    various 005.jpg
    various 010.jpg

The 'fiddlestick' - just a bit of Peco track glued on a strip of mdf - had bits of brass rod soldered to the outside of the rail web, these slid on to the Lima rails and transferred power, from wires at the far end of the fiddlestick. Dead simple....
    various 007.jpg

There you are, an O scale layout in a Boxfile! Who needs a garden, eh?!? [​IMG] :p
    Of course, given the choice, which would I prefer?.... :oops:

Last edited: 13 April 2021 at 22:19
    BrushType4 and Dog Star like this.
  3. rosspeacock

rosspeacock Modelling on a £1200 table.

Thats Brilliant! Made me chuckle :lol: :lol: :wave: Ross...

4. 28ten

28ten Guv'nor

But at least you have a layout (s) of some description :thumbs:
    I have come to the conclusion that it is easier to build stock that layouts in 7mm, whereas in 4mm I think it is the opposite.

5. Jordan

I'm not the only one to have put O scale into a Boxfile... here's one called "Foxbile Brewery" (can't imagine what the beer must taste of!?!) posted on the latest page of the famous Micro Layouts Website of Carl Arendt (second layout down)...

http://carendt.com/scrapbook/page94a/index.html

Mindyou, operating it as an Exhibition layout must surely get a bit mind-numbing after a while... (like the first 10 mins...!!!) :shock: [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Jordan

Talk about resurrecting an old Thread..!! :rolleyes: :oops:

I realise the PhotoBucket Fiasco has deleted a few of the photos in this Thread but via another Hosting Service, here's some pics of Lyddlow Goods taken yesterday (Sat 14th Oct 2017) at the 5th Cradley Heath Show.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Okay it was the "silly half hour" near the end, hence the congestion, but also shows my new Minerva Pannier Tank loco, heavily weathered to look like 3675, in it's last few months of service in the Forest of Dean, circa late 1965.

7. Joe's Garage

Joe's Garage Western Thunderer

Hi Jordan, I keep coming back to this little O (sic) layout and feel it is a very impressive yet simple layout/ diorama/ shunting plank/ photo plank which is an excellent introduction to the more obscure scales.....no complicated point work, up and running in a short time and as the governor says...more time to work on stock. Has anyone tried something like this in S or G1? My 1/32 Bachmann 03 is still in its box.....maybe.....tempting.....
    Do you still have this?
    Julian

8. Jordan

Hi, yes I still have this layout :thumbs: it often ends up as a bit of a dumping ground for odds'n'ends from my main layout, but I do clear it off & have a play with it occaisionally. :)
    20201222_185116.jpg

20210109_173935.jpg

David B, Len Cattley, 76043 and 5 others like this.
  9. Joe's Garage

Hmmm...a real shelf (layout) ! Jordan I can just see the cassette in the background, is there a chance of a view of that end. Is it just a cassette or does it swivel?
    Cheers
    Julian

10. Jordan

Photos of the 'business end' - the aluminium angles are the 'rails'. Although it is similar to a cassette, the hidden siding isn't one really, as it doesn't lift or swap ends like a true cassette can, it is also hard wired - the whole layout is 'live', 12v DC.
    Nor is it a sector plate as it isn't on a fixed pivot. The adjuster on the end just sits on the shelf & maintains the right height. It just rests in place on the edge of the board, track alignment is helped by it butting to either side of the bridge, at a slight angle for the rear siding, and the rails are in line.
    Also included, an overhead 'google earth' view of the entire thing, all 4ft 8inches of it. ;)
    msg-704-0-42762700-1531771027_thumb.jpg msg-704-0-90893900-1531771059_thumb.jpg msg-704-0-71363400-1531771008_thumb.jpg msg-704-0-65521500-1531770990_thumb.jpg msg-704-0-10806200-1531770963_thumb.jpg

Deano747, Rn@B., David B and 5 others like this.
  11. Joe's Garage

Thanks Jordan for this, it has got me thinking.....I do like the storage road idea, ingenious.
    Maybe I need to get a couple of G1 wagons and a little bit of track!
    Cheers
    Julian

Jordan likes this.
  12. Jordan

No probs. Go for it!! :thumbs:

13. Jordan

Just a post to say I have updated the pictures in the post #2 above about my Boxfile *ahem* er, "layout" - an optimistic description if ever there was one!! :oops:

Alas this little bit of fun did bite the dust a few years ago, and after the Lima track rusted from storage in my shed, it was disposed of. At least I still have some photos!!!

Dog Star likes this.