Finney7 LSWR L12

JimG

Western Thunderer
Jim,
I suspect that pilot holes would be futile as the ridges between layers would probably grab the rotaing drill bit and snap it. I understand that 3D printed aero-engine components such as turbine blades still have the cooling holes spark erroded. We could try though!

Simon,

It might be worth a try to see if a small drill would survive. At least with 3D printing you don't have a cost like a new photo tool for an adjustment. :)

I think if I had to drill the holes without a pilot, I would start them off with a slot drill in the milling machine and get as deep as I could with that then change to a twist drill. At least that should give a reasonably long straight start to the hole which should keep a drill on the straight and narrow. :)

Jim.

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
Guys,
Interesting debate about the pin hole. I've just checked the manufacturer's advice and it won't meet their specs. Either the hole is too small or the material either side of the hole is too thin.

The materials used are of good quality, and I'm sure will have no inclusions so I'm confident that drilling for a pin isn't unduly tricky.

Steph

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Hi Jim,

I'm sure pilot holes could be provided, but equally there will be people who silver solder the cranks and don't see the need to pin, so won't want the pilot holes.

Stage 2 completed; the axle has been cut, the reinforcing pins between the crank webs removed, surplus solder removed, and the whole thing cleaned up. The eccentric straps revolve freely and all is well :)

View attachment 87901

View attachment 87902

Now to put it all together to make sure it works.

Richard

I'm not sure work as neat and perfect as that should be allowed. Beautiful. Pitty to hide it inside the frames.

Dikitriki

Flying Squad
Thank you Chris,

Apart from the fact that I have to build it to check it fits, there's a lot of space underneath the boiler, and the inside motion is clearly visible. The cranks themselves are pretty big and the rotation will catch the eye.

Richard

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
Lovely, Richard...

I'm doing etched crank webs for the D16, we'll see how that works out..

JB.

Dikitriki

Flying Squad
Hi,

Just bringing this a bit more up to date. I put in quite a lot of time prior to the Doncaster show in dressing the L12 to give it a bit more character.

It certainly occasioned some interest, particularly with the 3DP cranks and the inside valve gear.

P1010212a.jpg

P1010214a.jpg

P1010216a.jpg

P1010217a.jpg

I've got nearly all the parts to complete it now, including a watercart tender, so it should take a further big step forward in time for Telford.

Richard

Last edited:

SimonT

Western Thunderer
So it is all a matter of being in the right place at the right time, a bit like whats ‘is names cat. “Just build it” saves a lot of trees and there would be space to add “Go and stand in the right place.” Universal instructions. Ikea were so wrong.

Simon

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
Schroedinger's cat? More a case of not being sure whether it was dead or alive or, metaphysically, both.

We could try that one: 'This box contains all parts' and 'Contents may differ from description' could go on the outside of the box...? Then, at least, we wouldn't have to say what kit was supposed to be in the box.

L12 is coming along well.

Steph, or perhaps just over-thinking. :confused: