Fixing chairs to sleepers

Mike W

Western Thunderer
I needed some specific chairs for a short display track in Gauge 1 and, since there don't seem to be any LNWR chairs available, had some patterns made.

Now I have a decision to make: how to fit them to sleepers. There would seem to be two choices: remove two of the nicely modelled screw heads, drill holes and pin the cast chairs down to wooden sleepers as is common outdoors in 7mm scale upwards. Or, leave the accurate peg which has been made into the patterns beneath the base of the chair and make wooden sleepers with matched holes, so the chairs peg into place. I understand that Tenmil use the peg method with wooden sleepers, but I've never seen or handled it, so would welcome any comments, please?

I should make it clear that I havn't cast from the patterns yet so can easily go either way, but have no plans to make chairs commercially, at least not at this point.

Thanks.

Mike

Pugsley

Western Thunderer
I'd go for the peg method, personally, purely based on ease of use and keeping the pattern intact. I've not had practical experience of either method though.

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
I'd probably use the peg method Mike as it sounds like its for indoor use only.

In G1 terms, I don't know of anybody who has used the peg method outside. I dare say people do but I have no experience of it to relate I'm afraid, I think the advent of plastic track pretty much killed that sector of the hobby.

Steve

Mike W

Western Thunderer
Thanks chaps. I'll try that and see how it goes. At this stage it is just four short lengths of track for display cases in which will be some very nice Gauge 1 models of LNWR locos bought (not by me) at a recent well known auction - and they just HAVE to stand on LNWR track!

Mike

simond

Western Thunderer
Some years back I helped on the late Ken Stansfield's "Swanage" outdoor layout.

In addition to cleaning the track, we seemed to spend a lot of time putting track pins back in...

A lot of time...