Flaxfield- A bucolic 1950s Suffolk backwater

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Many thanks Jonte.

That is such a useful post.

I'll be picking up a motor plus switch on Monday next and having a play. As if to rubber stamp your recommendation, I can see Chris Nevard is also using them on his Culmstock build featured in this month's Model Rail magazine.

So, subject to me getting the hang of it all, looks like the point control is sorted.

That then will be DCC for the locos etc and "traditional" point control for points.

Base boards are coming from Grainge and Hodder so the sourcing of the basics is taking shape.

Rob

Last edited:

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Morning all.

I've taken some better lit images this morning. As I say, roof, underframe and then some fine tuning still to do.

20240607_071222-01.jpeg20240607_071240-01.jpeg20240607_071251-01.jpeg

And seen here with what we know will be Flaxfield's station building, in pretty much the intended position.

20240607_071509-01.jpeg

20240607_071527-01.jpeg

Rob

MarkR

Western Thunderer
Hi Rob,
This is coming along dandy, you mention the Hornby waiting room, I have tried to find it on the internet, by searching Hornby waiting room, but can't find quite the same building, do you know what it's actually called?
Many thanks
Mark

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
There are also these from Bachmann. Just been released.

This is described as a light railway building. Windows need some amendments but very promising and would benefit from some 'distressing'

20240604_185448.jpg

And I do have a future plan for this one....It's in their 009 range. Think Horderley on the Bishops Castle Railway...........

20240604_185822.jpg

Rob.

simond

Western Thunderer
Morning all.

I've taken some better lit images this morning. As I say, roof, underframe and then some fine tuning still to do.

View attachment 217104View attachment 217105View attachment 217106

And seen here with what we know will be Flaxfield's station building, in pretty much the intended position.

View attachment 217107

View attachment 217108

Rob
Rob,

I think the grounded van looks great, but the roof planks…. Surely leaking and rotten if the gaps are so obvious?
Looking at the earlier photos, I didn’t think that was the target, perhaps a “canvas” from loo roll or whatever over them?

(or not, of course!)

atb
Simon

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Rob,

I think the grounded van looks great, but the roof planks…. Surely leaking and rotten if the gaps are so obvious?
Looking at the earlier photos, I didn’t think that was the target, perhaps a “canvas” from loo roll or whatever over them?

(or not, of course!)

atb
Simon

Thanks Simon. Funny you should mention the roof. I'm still in two minds. To cover or not so I work on the basis that I won't...until I do. I'm going to leave it for a bit anyway. I'm at the "leave well alone before you c☆ck it up " stage...........

20240607_145842-03.jpeg

Here it is in position on Ewe.

Rob

Firehead

That Hornby building does respond to a bit of fettling. One currently on my workbench, awaiting the paint finish being tidied up

Hornby station building.JPG

Internal walls added, corrugated iron roof (Wills) and a repaint

James Spooner

Western Thunderer
There are also these from Bachmann. Just been released.

This is described as a light railway building. Windows need some amendments but very promising and would benefit from some 'distressing'

View attachment 217122

And I do have a future plan for this one....It's in their 009 range. Think Horderley on the Bishops Castle Railway...........

View attachment 217123

Rob.
That lower photo looks the spit of the waiting shelter at Minffordd (FR)…

Nigel