Formlabs - A New 3d Printer

Pugsley

Western Thunderer
I noticed some questions on the running cost of resin for the formlabs which are worth investigating.
I'm not too concerned about the resin cost, strange though that may seem, there's a myriad of alternatives out there and I'm not averse to a bit of experimentation. They have committed that the early adopters will be looked after in that respect, so I guess I'll just have to trust them on that. Even if it goes up to the same amount as the resins used by the current industrial machines it's not the end of the world, due to the capital cost of the machine itself.

CNC Routing is another thing I'd considered, and may well invest in something like that at a later stage - this looks to be quite promising at a relatively low cost:
http://www.cnczone.com/forums/diy-cnc_router_table_machines/134221-microcarve_mv2_plans_files.html

I've just noticed that my post above is wrong, it should read 'Only thing is, the people I was speaking to said they couldn't do the half etch equivalent'

I'm becoming such an engineering nerd, I keep looking at various things and thinking of all the things I could make with them!

28ten

Guv'nor
I have looked at the micro carve, I think we must be cyber stalking each other :) I'd want a pre assembled machine, I haven't got time to faff about building one, plug and play for me.

Pugsley

Western Thunderer
Heh, it certainly seems that way - it confirms that I'm looking at the right stuff though :D

By way of an update, the Formlabs Kickstarter campaign is now 1000% percent funded and they've broken through the $1,000,000 barrier!

S

Stratford

Hi Guys, as a newbie this is my first post, so hopefully not crashing anyones party. I helped develop the Envisiontec machine during its early german builds and untill recently had access to virtually every RP/RM system while with Ford and Fiat. The common thread running through most of the machine producers is to sell or lease the machines cheaply, but make their money on consumerbles and material, most of which is dedicated and the systems are callibrated for precise material. One of the contributors mentioned frosting on stereo parts, there is a water clear resin available but as a resin swap is expensive, its something you need to be in the right place at the right time to take advantage of.

Pugsley

Western Thunderer
You're not crashing anyone's party at all, any info about RP systems will be greatly appreciated by me, and I'm sure by others as well.

Welcome to WT!