Fred Phipps Class 22 Build

taliesin

Western Thunderer
The more eagle eyed amongst you will have noticed that i advertised recently for a Fred Phipps Class 22. Well i have arranged to buy Steve Cook's part built one but like buses another appeared on the RM Web so after some thought i took the plunge and purchased that as well. My thinking behind this was that i could build one for running on G1MRA tracks with radio control and build the other to 'finescale' tolerances with track power, bodies to be swapped at will.
Friday saw me picking up the one advertised on RM Web from Rugby on my way to North Wales.
This one has had the body largely completed with painting and weathering and i do think it looks rather good mod D6322 n.jpg

This has been done to depict the engine shortly before being withdrawn and i reckon he has done a good job of it.
The not so good bit is that he has made a start on the chassis and by his own admission he is not too good with metal, or the soldering of.
Having spent the weekend in Wales i could do little other than read, and re-read Fred's comprehensive instructions and look at the various parts.
Arriving home today i was able to make a bit of a start. Basically the nickel silver chassis had been folded up, rather badly, especially the bottom edges on the middle section which looked like needle nose pliers had been used a bit at a time but worse was to come, the rather lovely water tank etch had been folded up then glued. I covered this in nitromors and was horrified when one end fell off, the half etch fold had been broken, possibly folded then straightened up once too often. having removed all the glue i was able to solder it up reasonably well but a bit of discreet filling will be required.
I have also been able to locate the tank and two 'mounting channels' and prepared the two half etch strips that beef up the bottom channel. Having now run out of decent light, and possibly some patience my next job will be to solder this lot up and hopefully post a picture.
I have been a bit critical of the former owners metal working skills but i do rate his painting and he has offered to finish off the painting and weathering when the model is complete. Should be rather fun as i am from the large hammer school of modelling so the results might be somewhat er, interesting, cheers for now, Rob

Simon

Flying Squad
Hi Rob

I think you've got yourself a real beauty with that Class 22, I'm sure the chassis will bend to your will and if you do get any problems there are quite a few who drop in hereabouts who will be able to help. It's really nice that Nidge has offered to weather the results for you too:)

I read your post on the G1 site, it sounds as if you had a really nice day and I really liked your description of Geoff Calver's helpful service too, a top bloke:thumbs:

For information, Rob has just acquired the new 1/32 G1 gas fired Accucraft B4 tank from Rushford Barn Models.

Hope you don't mind me "blowing your cover" Rob, the B4 looks to be a real winner!

Simon

Who may try and progress G1 garden pointwork later tonight....

taliesin

Western Thunderer
I wish it was all day, I am playing trains in the afternoon because I am getting up for work at 3.30 in the morning all week, cheers Rob

iploffy

OC Blue Brigade
Nice to finish early though. I might look at getting one of those to run myself but it would have to be R/C though

taliesin

Western Thunderer
Having got home reasonably early today i was able to get the hammer and anvil out and press on with the build, today saw the water tank assembly, mounting channels and the half etch bottom channel 'thickeners' soldered up, so far i have used a small gas torch to do this but i think i will have to get the electric iron out from now on. I need to do a bit of filling but overall i am quite happy with it so far :)
photo.JPG

The picture could be better but my phone was to hand for a quick snap and i was just too lazy to reach for my camera.

I also include a picture of the new Accucraft B4 i was playing with yesterday,
photo-1.JPG

and one more of the body shell :)
mod D6322 #14.jpg

Thats all for now, buffer beams next, cheers Rob

D6356

Western Thunderer
Hi , great looking body !! I hope you can demangle chassis. I keep looking at my milk choc body on shelf above PC - but I have started on the cab module. I too was planning a R/C model but that is some way away.
Thanks for inspiration
Robert

taliesin

Western Thunderer
You had me going for a moment Robert, it's been along time, if ever that anyone said i had a great looking body :)
In fairness the chassis is not mangled, although he cut out a lot of the etches and folded a few he had the good sense to realise it was not for him and stopped before truly fouling the job, (thats my job) His forte is painting and weathering in the smaller scales and he has done a great job of the body, far better than moi could do.
A once beautiful model, now looking rather rough round the edges and soon for the knackers yard, perhaps i should fix on 'Pamela' name plates!!
I have just finished fitting the two buffer beams on and it actually fits, i have surprised myself!!
Got a busy weekend ahead, the significant other needs some attention and playing with steamy things Sunday so i will press on with it Monday and might just manage to take a semi decent picture to post.
I could do with some inspiration myself, does anyone know of a motor/gear combination that fits without butchery? cheers for now, Rob

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
I could do with some inspiration myself, does anyone know of a motor/gear combination that fits without butchery? cheers for now, Rob
Rob,
I may be able to help you. I'm currently working on a range of gearboxes that would allow you to drive the loco in prototypical fashion with individual gearboxes for each axle. I'm hoping that Mr Castens will allow me to have a good look at his class 22 to see what will fit; but if you're not in a massive hurry then I should be able to offer you something quite interesting.
Just a quick thought; are your chosen wheels on 3/16" ales?

Steph

taliesin

Western Thunderer
Hi Steph, i have not ordered the Wheels from Mark Wood yet but i understand he supplies them for 3/16" axles and that is my preferred size as the kit is supplied with bearings to suit. I am not in a hurry as i wont buy until i reach the stage where i know i will need them, there is always a danger that i could make a fatal error with the kit in the meantime :D. Many thanks for answering, cheers Rob

taliesin

Western Thunderer
Some more progress to report, on Sunday i had a play with this, real S & D super power :D
_DSC0032.JPG

but in between i have been able to add some of the buffer beam detail. This was to cause some frustration as when i found the various castings in the box they had been blackened, but unfettled so i had to spend much time clearing off the 'blackener' :headbang:
For some reason the outer pipes which i have not attached had been straightened out and blackened, i have not attached these yet as i have to modify the body a bit to fit over so i need to take time.
A photo of the progress so far though,

_DSC0036.JPG

Hopefully more to come soon, but thats all for now, cheers Rob

taliesin

Western Thunderer
Well i have pressed on a bit further and attached the outer pipes and filed inside the body where needed, i was not looking forward to this particular bit but i think it turned out ok :)
here are a couple of pics, (memo to self, take pictures in day light)
photo-2.jpg photo-3.JPG

The next bit is the stay inside which the chassis locates onto within the body, cheers for now, Rob

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
Rob,

Can you post a shot of the fuel tank, please? Does it have a cut out through the middle of it for the propshaft?

Steph